Author Topic: Four Crosses, Llandysilio 1851/61 census Look up- JONES  (Read 17157 times)

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Four Crosses, Llandysilio 1851/61 census Look up- JONES
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 26 April 06 11:10 BST (UK) »
OK!!! I've tried finding her in the 1861 - thought a different approach might help ;D

Joseph was in Liverpool in 1861 working as a carter on a farm
with this in mind, I have found several Ellen Jones, of roughly the correct age, all born Wales (no towns listed) who are Servants, and a couple are in Liverpool. 

??? ??? ??? ??? :-\
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline BlackMonkey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 03 April 14 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue
Just found this old post on the site.  Her name was Ellen Jones Shuker.  (Jones was like a middle name).  She was born at Calcott Hall, Domgay, near Four Crosses in 1841.  She was sent away to a school governess when she was 9 years old so failed to appear on the 1851 census.  She married Herbert Townend, in Eastbourne, in 1863 and moved to London.  She spent the early part in Lewisham and then moved to a nice house in Blackheath/Greenwich - finally moving out to Bromley later on.  They had 8 children, 4 girls and 4 boys.  She died at the age of 52 in 1893 but her husband, Herbert, didn't die until 1923.
I've researched this family quite a bit recently.  Tell me if you want any more info.
Kind Regards
Susie.

Offline suemuffy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 04 April 14 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Susie,
Thanks for the confirmation that Ellen "Lucker" is definitely not my Ellen Jones. It is always difficult to find anyone with the name Jones in Wales and the fact that there are 2 Four Crosses near villages called Llandysilio makes it even harder. I have never solved the mystery, perhaps I will look again with fresh eyes. Thanks for your interest
Sue
POWELL - Liverpool and Wirral
ADAIR - Liverpool and Ireland
BAUGH - Shropshire, Staffordshire and Yorkshire
WILKINSON - Staffordshire

Offline BlackMonkey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 04 April 14 09:50 BST (UK) »
Sorry I couldn't help Sue.  Yes - I can imagine looking for a "Jones" in Wales is like looking for a needle in a haystack!! 

I've trying to research the family who used to live at Calcott Hall, Domgay, Llandysilio nr. Four Crosses.  The hall was built in 1725 and is a beautiful early Georgian farm house which is now derelict and has got the nickname of Red Dress Manor.  Rumour has it that the last inhabitant of the house, Ellen Jones, died in the 1970's and the place was abandoned and went to rack and ruin.  It transpires that the owner of the hall IS still alive, but living in a home somewhere nearby and they moved out in the '70's and never went back - hence why it is literally is looks like they just popped out to get a pint of milk.  Fascinating story indeed and the lovely old house is just begging for someone to buy it and rescue it from complete destruction and decay.

Anyway, sorry I couldn't help with your particular search.

Susie.

Offline suemuffy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 04 April 14 10:40 BST (UK) »
Interesting story, as usual many of these old halls fall into disrepair as the cost of the upkeep is too high and if the owner is in a care home, well I know what the cost of that can be. There are too many of these beautiful houses scattered around the country but insufficient millionaires around to buy them.
Regards
Sue
POWELL - Liverpool and Wirral
ADAIR - Liverpool and Ireland
BAUGH - Shropshire, Staffordshire and Yorkshire
WILKINSON - Staffordshire

Offline Lady-kathleen Conquest Forsyth-smith

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I to am looking for Ellen Jones, I was told she died in 1973 but have found she could be living in a home nearby.

Offline Kathy conquest Forsyth-smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 01 March 16 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Ok, I have some info on four crosses Calcutta manor. The last owners were actually William Thomas and Francis Mary Jones at least in 1988, looking at the school photo it looks as if it was possibly took around 1960.
Next, a William Jones born in 1871 lived in the manor and did his wife born in 1906 Katie Jones , Rhiannon born 1908 and the child's grandmother Ellen born 1841.
Lastly, I know for a fact that the owner of the house is still alive, or at least is thought to be as there has been no evidence to the contrary. So, why would someone just leave the house, the car, the keys and all other personal belongings , I think there is more to this, maybe the farmer that tries to keep people off the land knows more, I would like to know if this farmer is mr ms evens, who tried to get planning permission on the land but was turned down.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathy,

You appear to have created 2 profiles, with one profile email no longer working. Would you like me to merge your profiles ?

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk