Author Topic: past downs !! through time..  (Read 3047 times)

Offline GRACELAND

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Elvis Presley* ARTIST OF THE CENTURY..*
    • View Profile
past downs !! through time..
« on: Wednesday 13 October 04 15:42 BST (UK) »
 :)  (on topic i think ! )

Hello ,
              Family history ! Things you have handed down to you from your ancestors !
               When my nan died in the 70s i was given a wind up clock !
               why ,because evertime i visited her i would wind the clock !
               well 30 so years on the clock is gone (i was a child when i had it )
               But i still have the brass key that still reminds me of that time  :)
                So have you got any thing like this in your family ??
                                      :D

(gosh i hope i,m on topic  ;D)
God Knew Elvis was Tired so he called him to rest !................
"I like it well done, Cooked. I ain't orderin' a pet."
--Elvis Presley, On Meat
"Don't be like nobody else or you'll be livin' a lie, and that ain't livin'."
--Elvis Presley, On Individuality

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
Re: past downs !! through time..
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 October 04 16:01 BST (UK) »
Love it G !! ;D  ;D  sent you e.

My Aunty (Dad's cousin) has got the accounts ledger of my Grt Grt Grandad Master Wheelwright, which I covert..am staying in her good books, and keep sending her census info on her Dad's side and dropping little hints about the ledger.

Just massaging my slapped wrist ...
Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 October 04 16:23 BST (UK) »
I still have the "TICK" book (items had on credit) from when my Grandmother kept a shop and the metal stamp that was used in ration books to show that the token had been used

The shop doesnt exist any more it was converted back into a house - bet the people who live there now dont even know it was a shop at one time  :)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 October 04 21:08 BST (UK) »
I have just posted a reply to Zeb on his thread "What a treasure find!" about an old box that my gran aunt gave me in 1998.

It contained all my great aunt's and uncles confirmation books, a very old family bible with all their birth dates and their parents and some other family members.  Photographs of each them when they were young, together with my ggrandparents.  All have pride of place on the wall going up the stairs.  I was also lucky enough to be given a few birth certificates, 2 death certificates but the best thing has to be my great uncle's service medal from World War One.  He died in service in 1917 in Israel.

I will never part with them!

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 October 04 21:24 BST (UK) »
I was handed down my BEALES " nose" does that count?   :D
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 October 04 01:54 BST (UK) »

Unfortunately Jena and I never knew any of our grandparents so we have no family heirlooms. :'(

What we do treasure is our father's apprenticeship indentiture with Harland & Wolfe Shipyard, Belfast Northern Ireland and a photo of him wearing his International Cap when he played football for Ireland against Lanarkshire.

Darcy
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 October 04 03:51 BST (UK) »
Funny this came up.  The past few months my father has been giving me things from the family.  I grew up in the house and never knew the history behind things sitting on the shelves and in closets.  At 31 years of age, he has decided I am ready to take over the family "treasures".  The most recent list is:
My g-g grandmother's coffee grinder.  Actually quite pretty with dovetails and lovely iron turnrer.

My g-g grandmothers large portrait that was from the Ukraine.  It was carried by foot and horse from the Ukraine to Germany where they jumped ship in Hamburg to the US and then by train to NJ.  Still in one peice nd rather large to carry.

My g grandmothers piece of "artwork"  Actutally a painting by an artist called Wallace Nutting.  Popluar in the US in the rising middle class in the 1920's.

My g-g grandmothers engagement ring and silver tea service from England.

The best thing I was given was a folder of photos that I had never seen.  I am now to be the keeper of our tradition and history.  A blessing or a nighmare as I am the only one of my generation intereted in the family! :)
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive