Author Topic: Byrnes family from Creggan  (Read 5184 times)

Offline PaulB28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Byrnes family from Creggan
« on: Tuesday 03 February 04 13:27 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone has any information on the following.

I now know that they came from the townland of Ummericam Johnston in the parish of Creggan. My GG Grandfather was Peter Byrnes was Farmer who was born in Armagh round about 1824 he was married to Elizabeth Bellew who was born in Armagh round about 1833, I think both died in Armagh between 1906 & 1911.

I know they had the following children.
Margaret Byrnes Born 1859 Moved to Glasgow
Annie Byrnes Born 1861 Moved to Glasgow
Josephine Byrnes Born 1863 Moved to Glasgow
Roseena Byrnes Born 1865 Moved to Glasgow
Elizabeth Byrnes Born 30.10.1867 Moved to Glasgow
Mary Byrnes Born 1872
Catherine Byrnes Born 14 January 1874 Moved to Glasgow
Francis Byrnes Born 1877 Took over the Farm in Armagh
Jane Byrnes Born 18th August 1880

I know what happend to all the children except Josephine who married James McGarry from Antrim in Glasgow in 1892 but I Can not find any trace of them after the 1901 cenus, Mary Byrnes and Jane Byrnes.

If anyone has any information to anyone in this family or is related to this family it will be gerat to hear from you.

Thanks in advance

Paul Byrnes
researching Byrnes (Armagh) Byrne (Dublin) Carrick (Dublin) Bellew (Armagh) Garvey Armagh) Meldrum, Davidson, Mortimer, Dow, Bain (all Aberdeenshire) Robello (italy & Aberdeen) plus more

Offline PaulB28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:Byrnes family from Creggan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 June 04 22:04 BST (UK) »
I have got alot more information on this family so I thought I woudl repost, If anyone sees connections please contact me.

Peter  Byrnes who was born in Aramgh round about 1824 Married Elizabeth Bellew (known as Bessy) Born around about 1833, Peter was a farmer and had a farm in the Townland of Umericam Johnston in Parish of creggan, both Peter and Elizabeth died between 1905 and 1911.

They had at least  11 Children.

Margaret  1855 - 1937
Bridget    1858 -?
Annie    1860 - 1939
Bernard 1862 -?
Josephine 1863 -?
Roseena 1865 - 1942
Elizabeth 1867 - 1938
Mary 1870- ?
Catherine 1874 - 1925
Francis 1876 - ?
Jane - 1880 -?

All the children were born in the Parish of Creggan County Armagh.

This is what I know about the children.

Margaret Moved to Glasgow were she Married Michael Reilly in 1906 she Died in Glasgow in 1937

Annie Moved to Scotland were she married Thomas McGarry from County Antrim in 1889 in Kilmacolm in Renfrewshire she had three children and in died in glasgow in 1939.

Josephine Moved to Glasgow were she married James McGarry (brother of Thomas McGarry) in 1892 there is no other trace of either of them after the 1901 census.

Roseena Moved to Glasgow were she was a Housekeeper at St Andrews Cathedral for a time she died in Glasgow in 1942.

Elizabeth Moved to Barrow on Furness were she married John Byrnes ( From Forkill Armagh) in 1901 they had 5 children, they moved to Glasgow in 1908, She Died in Glasgow in 1938.

Catherine Moved to Glasgow were she married Patrick Loyden in 1905 she died in Glasgow in 1925.

Francis took over  from his father on the farm he married Sarah (surname unknow round about 1909 they had one child.

I dont have any information on the other Children, Bridget, Bernard, Mary or Jane as of yet.

if anyone can see any connection would be great to hear from you.
researching Byrnes (Armagh) Byrne (Dublin) Carrick (Dublin) Bellew (Armagh) Garvey Armagh) Meldrum, Davidson, Mortimer, Dow, Bain (all Aberdeenshire) Robello (italy & Aberdeen) plus more

Offline lesansell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Byrnes family from Creggan
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 June 05 21:06 BST (UK) »
Catherine Byrnes who was married to Patrick Loyden, Patrick was my great grandfather.

He  died  in the Mainsion  house in Greenock on 6th Nov 1940 and is buried in a un marked resting place in  St Kentigern cemetery, Glasgow

He was previously married to  a JANET BRENNAN who had a girl called Janet who was my Grandmother

Offline FionaLorraine

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 March 07 00:39 GMT (UK) »
I believe we were in contact before but I didn't see any connection with my MCAleaveys in Forkhill yet!

On a different note - I am interested in the McGarry Family from Co Antrim - would you know the fathers names and approximate year of birth for the brothers James and Thomas - I have a lot of McGarry records from Antrim.

Fiona
Palmer Website: www.davyboynorth.f2s.com/SamPalmer/00]SamPalmerStory.asp
Palmers, Barrs and McGarrys from Antrim/Ballyrobin/Muckamore/Crumlin
McAleaveys from Forkhill Co Armagh and then Whitewell/Glengormley
Traynors/Trainor from Larne then Whitewell/Glengormley also Glasgow

Offline Gabe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 March 07 06:24 GMT (UK) »
I have McAreaveys and McGarrys from around the shores of Lough Neagh, (Crumlin, Glenavy, Aldergrove etc.). Since the 18th century to today.

No Scotland connection that I'm aware of.

Cheers, Gabe McAreavey - Sydney, Australia

Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline PaulB28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 March 07 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi There sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

Thomas McGarry was born about 1860 in Antrim his brother James was born in 1862 there parents were Neil McGarry and Elizabeth McGarry.

There is a sister called Elizabeth according to Thomas's Glasgow poor relief record in 1915.

I think it also states the actual birthplace for Thomas, I look it up tonight and post tomorrow.

Regards

Paul

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 April 07 21:47 BST (UK) »
Paul

i am trying to research Julia Burns from Creggan Armagh I think she was born about 1830 she married Martin Ward born 1830 from Galway.

Do you have any Julia Burnes in your tree????
Erin :)
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.

Offline PaulB28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 June 07 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin

So Far I Have not come a cross a Juila Burns.

Sorry I can't help you this time.

Regards

Paul

Offline PaulB28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 June 07 12:47 BST (UK) »
Ooops I forgot to post this!

Thomas and James McGarry were born in armoy in County Antrim.

This according to Thomas's Poor Relief application in 1915.