Author Topic: hercules family  (Read 828 times)

Offline ekell3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
hercules family
« on: Wednesday 13 October 04 21:15 BST (UK) »
can anyone help with any info on the hercules family? The last info I have is the marriage certificate of my great grandfather Joseph to Elizabeth Cain in Liverpool in 1873 when he was 26.

My great great grandfather is recorded on the certificate as being a grocer called Charles Hercules. Other than that I have no other info at all. My mother and her family said that their grandfather was Greek and they were all seafarers, but have no info, any records the family had have all been lst over the years around the family.

I have tried searching for all vital records but nothing has turned up before the marriage certificate 1873.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.....ekell3
hercules, fitzsimmons, cain, isle of man, liverpool

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: hercules family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 October 04 16:52 BST (UK) »
I assume you found Elizabeth on the 1881 Census living with her parents and 4 children. As she is listed as married, Joseph may well have been away at sea.
The only other Hercules is a Charles - born 1861 - in the navy - birth "St Helend British Subject"  - Could this be a brother to Joseph? I have to admit, I don't know where St Helend is - and could it mean St Helens?

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ekell3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: hercules family
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 October 04 21:19 BST (UK) »
thanks trish for replying, yes I have that info, the Charles you mention is listed as being an African servant so I don't  think he is a relation as we were all lead to believe that my mum's family came from Greece but as they were all seafarers they could have ended up setling anywhere. Re: St Helend I thought it might be St Helena as well.

I'll try 1837online as you can put the whole name in now. Thanks for your help..regards ekell3
hercules, fitzsimmons, cain, isle of man, liverpool