Author Topic: Any trace of these people?  (Read 18901 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Any trace of these people?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 16:23 BST (UK) »
Another, question, maybe dumb, but was William not buried with either of his wives? J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 16:32 BST (UK) »
What about ordering your husband's grandmother's birth certificate?  You can get them on-line now www.serviceontario.ca

JJ, there are no dumb questions here!  Speaking of squeezing my ancestry, I'm off to the post office to see if my grandparents marriage certificate is in the mail, I hope so, but I'm nervous that the information I want isn't going to be there  :(

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi JJ - I have found the Langmaids in England thanks to that death registration! (And Samuel's).  In 1851 and 1861 they are in Portsea, Hampshire (a "borough" of Portsmouth).  So now I have the names of the other children, and Samuel and Eliza's marriage record.  They were both born in Fowey, Cornwall (not Foy, as on the death reg.)  Unfortunately IGI does not have Fowey records for that period, so I'll need to do a bit more digging to get any further.  I figure they left England between 1861 (census) and 1869 (1920 minus 51 years in Canada).  And I can't find him in the Ontario 1871 index of heads of household, which supports the "only 40 years in Ontario" part.  Who knows where they were in the interim 10 years...

As for the Browns, I have found the marriage record of Frederick Brown and Eliza Jones in Brant County 1835.  But no birth records for Burford in that era.   :(  Although the Brant County Genweb page is very impressive.  The widow Eliza is still around in 1881 living on her own in Burford, so I know from that that she was born c. 1817 in England.  Now if only they had been as specific as the Langmaids on their registrations!!

The quest continues!  ;D

MJP

PS - as for the mystery wife, the other clue I have is that she did her nurses training at Kingston General Hospital.  I have googled, but found no obvious source of records.  But I'm not sure that would be that much help as there would have been dozens of young women graduating as nurses each year from a major hospital like that.  

OK - just saw your next two posts.  Never even thought of Grandma's birth registration!  (Duh).  I expect the request would have to come from her though, as she is still alive?  Will go to serviceontario and check it out.  And as for the grave, I know the second wife is not there, but I can't remember about the first one.  Seems to me no, but I do remember that there is another family member nearby - when my husband took his grandmother to see her fathers grave a while back she pointed to the grave next to his and said - hey that's my ____ ! Thanks for making me think of that again!  The cemetery is down the street from me - I'll have to go have another look. 

MJP
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hey - just been to serviceontario.  The mother's maiden name is a "required field" on the birth certificate application.  (!)  How useful is that?  Grrrrr.......
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 17:02 BST (UK) »
There's a Samuel Langmaid in New Brunswick in 1851 who was born in England around 1810?

MJP, the commercials on TV say it's so easy to order a birth certificate in Ontario, ya right   ::)

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 17:17 BST (UK) »
Here's a death registration for:

Eliza Brown
Date of Death:  January 12, 1900
Residence:  8, Concession 8, Twp. of Brant
Widow
Born:  England
Cause:  General Decline, several weeks
Name of Person making return:  A. Rutherford

MJP, if you ever get to Burford, they have the best donuts in the world!  My mouth is watering just thinking of them.

Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 18:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for Eliza's death reg. Karen.  And good tip on the donuts!  I too have seen the flashy birth cert ads recently.  I remember thinking - well that's all fine and good, but how many people really apply for a birth cert every day?  If you're going to streamline service, wouldn't it be better to focus on something like drivers licenses or something?

Anyway, thanks again for all your help...  :)

MJP

Oh and thanks for the NB Langmaid, but I'm looking for them on the 1871.  1851 and 61 they are in England, 81 in Baysville. 

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 19:10 BST (UK) »
Yeah, dopey me, there I go again, forgetting that half of Canada is named after places in England...DUHHHHH!  J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 27 April 06 14:43 BST (UK) »
OK guys, I feel quite the dolt.  :-[ I went down the street to the cemetery, as Karen so sagely suggested, and guess what I found...

William Henry Brown
June 5 1894 - September 2 1936
Margaret Eugenie Murphy
April 21 1892 - March 24 1933
Beloved parents of (Grandma's name)

That's what you get for trying to do genealogy from memory!  She was right there under my nose. 

Grandma said the Langmaids were from Ireland, which they clearly weren't.  I guess she was thinking of the Murphys.  The only nearby stone that offers a possibility for the connection that Grandma spotted when visited the cemetery was

Isabella Mee, wife of John H. Murphy, 1852-1933

Margaret's parents maybe? Hmmm....

Now off to search the British marriage regs again for William and Margaret...   :)  Thanks for all your great help on the Browns and Langmaids.

Martha