Author Topic: Evan Roberts (Amlwch)  (Read 3139 times)

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
Evan Roberts (Amlwch)
« on: Wednesday 19 April 06 14:58 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any info on Evan Roberts, a copper miner from Amlwch, born around 1796, living at Pentrefwaun in 1841. I'd particularly like to know when (and to whom) he married and when (c.1815) his son Henry was born; Henry headed south to Merthyr and his granddaughter was my grandmother.
   Cheers, Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline welsh lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Evan Roberts (Amlwch)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hiya in 1841 hes living with his wife Mary in Pentrefwaun.In 1851 still in Amwlch.Evan Roberts/58/Copper Miner/Corwen Merionethshire/Mary Roberts/Wife/50/Amlwch Anglesey.You say Henry was born in 1815 do you have the names of his other children?Can only find a marriage on 10/10/1820 in St Eleth ,Amlwch Evan Roberts to Mary Jones but that would be to late if Henry was born in 1815?Let me know and I will look again.Best Wishes Welsh Lady
This information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Amor/Amer-Bromham Wiltshire,Hertfordshire,Suffolk.
Pyett-Suffolk
Wolfenden-Cambridgeshire,Huntingdonshire
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Anderson,-London.Bethnal Green,Shoreditch,Hackney
King-,Uxbridge,Shoreditch,Bethnal Green
Edwards,Roberts,Lane,Price,Williams-Llanelli.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 16:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. It's interesting he was born at Corwen. The excellent Amlwch website has three miners called Evan Roberts listed: one b.1793, from MER, Corwen, from a list of immigrants to the island; one (also b 1793) in the 1851 Census and one (b.1795) "late copper miner" at Pentragwian (Pentrefwaun, surely?) in 1881. Could they all be the same person, with a mistake somewhere along the line in the year of birth?
The site also has a Henry Roberts baptised at St Eleth on 10 Aug 1816; would the church in those days have baptised someone four years before his parents got married? I'm afraid I don't have the names of any other children.
   Cheers, Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline welsh lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 16:22 BST (UK) »
Looks like they are the same Evan  census ages often vary .The marriage cant be the right one if Henry is born 1816?But cant find another marriage.Good Luck searching Best Wishes
This information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Amor/Amer-Bromham Wiltshire,Hertfordshire,Suffolk.
Pyett-Suffolk
Wolfenden-Cambridgeshire,Huntingdonshire
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Anderson,-London.Bethnal Green,Shoreditch,Hackney
King-,Uxbridge,Shoreditch,Bethnal Green
Edwards,Roberts,Lane,Price,Williams-Llanelli.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock