Author Topic: Freebmd help  (Read 6496 times)

Offline a.dove

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Freebmd help
« on: Tuesday 03 February 04 18:34 GMT (UK) »
I have found a great uncle on the Freebmd site. How can I find out it is the wright one or not?
Where can it tell me who his parents were?

Amanda
Dove, Cole

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
Re:Freebmd help
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 February 04 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

FreeBMD is a transcription of the index of records.  It does not hold the full information on the certificate.  The only way to find out if it is the right person is to order a certificate.   The site gives you instructions how to proceed once you have a match.

If you are unsure how to go about it,  let us know and we will give you full instructions,

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 February 04 09:32 GMT (UK) »
I found a marriage on FreeBMD site and sent off for the Certificate.  There was no mistaking it was the right one, but after 3 weeks of waiting i received an email back saying that i had not provided enough details.  They charged me £3 for the search.  

Isaac Beales
Guiltcross
4B 655
4th Quarter 1871

These are the details i supplied to them.  There is only 1 Isaac Beales for that year.

Will have to wait till i can get to Norfolk now to go in person.  
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 February 04 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just thought I would point out that to obtain this item on BMD, you have to use the spelling as it is listed in the registers and that is BEALS
and not BEALES.

Hope you obtain your certificate.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 February 04 21:44 GMT (UK) »
I sent off for the cert yesterday after i spotted the mistake....( that'll teach me!  lol )
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 February 04 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Fitty

Where did you apply for your certificate?  If you applied to the Guiltcross office they need a church for the marriage.  There will be lots of chuches in the region.

have you tried the Norfolk Transcription Service.

www.genealogy.doun.org/transcriptions/index.php

You could be lucky

Sylvia
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 February 04 13:38 GMT (UK) »
this is where i've sent off for the certificate, i have used them before quite a few times. It was only the last time that i mis-read the name and wrote what it should have been rather than what they have that i did'nt get it.

http://www.col.statistics.gov.uk/

£7.00 for a certificate and it's usually delivered within the week.

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 February 04 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Fitty I did think that is where you had sent.  To say you had not given enough info seemed such a silly reason to give when you had made such a small mistake.  Hope you get the cert this time.
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 February 04 07:31 GMT (UK) »
I thought that too Sylviaann.   I gave them Isaacs name, albeit wrong, and his wifes name, the year and even the Quarter they were wed.  Seemed a bit petty to me...but it taught me a lesson so thats a good thing.