Author Topic: I've said it once and I'll say it ....  (Read 1766 times)

Offline bwgan ceredig

• RootsChat Senior
  • They can 'do' 20 generations each!
    • View Profile
I've said it once and I'll say it ....
« on: Wednesday 19 April 06 22:00 BST (UK) »
I know I am always saying how great the local registry offices are...well today was above an beyond ;D

I wanted to trace my ancestor Caroline Lewis, gave them a few bits of info.  Well they rang and said they couldn't find it  :(  Then they rang again a little while later to say it she had been incorrectly indexed as Catherine  ??? :o.  Now I have no idea how they found her, but dedication or what?? ;D  Especially as I had already accepted that she wouldn't be found.

Three cheers for Pontypool! ;D ;D
Stiff - Monmouthshire & Glos, Parry - Monmouthshire
Stafford - Glos, Liles - Glos, Bright- Glos, Webb - Monmouthshire & Glos, Smart - Glos, Smith - Glos
Sullivan - Ireland, Jones (oh dear! Almost as bad as Smith), Walker - Somerset, Llewellyn
And, no don't laugh...Crump...I think it's great!

And of course, if I ever do manage to do a successful look up it is crown copyright and all that legal stuff!

Seriously Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Simon G.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: I've said it once and I'll say it ....
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 April 06 01:35 BST (UK) »
Pontypool are exceptionally good.  Wouldn't be the first time I've rung their office up to order a certificate, and the guy on the other end has gone to check the register there and then while I wait on the line. :D
Currently engaging in a one-name study of the Twyman surname.

Golding, Twyman, Kennard, Wales (Kent).
Berks, Challinor (Staffordshire).
Wakely. (Glam & Monmouth).

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 April 06 08:29 BST (UK) »
That's wonderful service!!

We should have Rootschat Gold Awards to give out to places and people who give exceptional service like that!  Goodonya, Pontypool!!  ;D ;D

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 April 06 10:54 BST (UK) »

Totally agree MarieC, some of the offices deserve accolades but could it be done in RootsChat name though . . . .. .  Could one of the moderators let us know if it would be right or wrong of us to do that??

Barbara            8)
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline wheeldon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 April 06 11:50 BST (UK) »
Way to go Pontypool!  It's refreshing to hear about a good service received, all too many people report a bad service and too few comment on a good one.
Wheeldon  Derbyshire & Manchester
Willshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Wilshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Pugh Manchester, Haston, Hadwell, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Patrick Coventry, Warwick, Foleshill
Kelly Dronmore County Down & Manchester
Stewart  Hilsborough County Down & Manchester
Moffatt/Moffitt County May &, Lancashire

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 April 06 22:00 BST (UK) »
YES !!!

I always believe in going to the locals (as some of you may have gathered by now)

I'm so glad they came thro' for you, after all they hold the source records  ;D ;D ;D

Wendi
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 April 06 18:19 BST (UK) »
It is always lovely to hear about a records office giving help so easily.

My main records office that i use the most is the Llangefni one and they are brilliant both in the registry office and the records office.

I am now on first name terms with both offices and know that I will receive any info I need within 7 days by post and within hours if I am there.

The last cert I sent for took 4 days from when I posted the request to when I received the cert.

Now that is what I call brilliant service. Christmas card list has their names and addresses on already

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Simon G.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 April 06 22:29 BST (UK) »
I always go to the local offices.  In my experience the best ones are Pontypridd, Pontypool, and any of those in Kent (especially Maidstone...they're lovely there ;D).
Of all the ones I've dealt with though, Stoke-on-Trent are awful...whenever I've had problems, it's been with them.
Currently engaging in a one-name study of the Twyman surname.

Golding, Twyman, Kennard, Wales (Kent).
Berks, Challinor (Staffordshire).
Wakely. (Glam & Monmouth).

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 April 06 23:10 BST (UK) »
Thank goodness most of my side are North Wales and Anglesey and hubby's are Scotland (not tried yet) and Northumberland

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>