Author Topic: Pentland - Uprichard, Gibson, Morrow. Ballyworkan.  (Read 58264 times)

Offline Roxanna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pentland - Uprichard, Gibson, Morrow. Ballyworkan.
« Reply #90 on: Thursday 01 November 18 02:06 GMT (UK) »

"The Joseph who married Isabella Fulton, was my GG Uncle (b. 10th June 1891 Motherwell) his brother William John Pentland (b. 21st Jan 1885 Motherwell) is my GG grandfather.

Their father is Joseph Pentland (b. 15th January 1857 Bothwell) who married Christina Wilson Gillespie (b. 20th October 1859 Old Monkland). Joseph's father is William John Pentland (b. around 1833) who is married to Elizabeth Mains.

William and Elizabeth's marriage seems to have taken place in either August 1855 (as on their son William's birth certificate) or in 1844 (as on their daughter Elizabeth's birth certificate) but they both say County Armagh. All concerned seemed to be illiterate as noted by 'their mark' so I do wonder if the name is spelt in a different way on the marriage certificate as a reason why I can't find it.

All I know of William's parents is that his father is listed as Ralph Pentland, cab driver and Mary McGowan. This is from information on William's death certificate (I made a thread on this subject recently). But, as was pointed out to me, the death was registered by William's son Joseph and the information is probably only as good as Joseph's memory! It is possible that Joseph never even met his grandparents as I have no evidence that they left Ireland or that he left Scotland. I would like to think that the information is correct, but the name Ralph comes out of the blue (I'm afraid my family weren't very inventive when it came to names - it makes it difficult to write about them when they all have the same names!)

I have found nothing at all in my online searches in County Armargh, but I haven't been looking long.

I have done quite a bit of research on these Pentlands (and Rankins, Gillespies, Henrys) in the Motherwell and Hamilton areas if anyone else has a connection  :)
[/quote][/i][/i]

I have some references to a Ralph Pentland.
Seapatrick,
Thomas Pentland, s/o Ralph married Mary Ann Wilson, d/o Robert Wilson on 4 aug 1856, at Banbridge, FHL film 101373

Ellen Pentland, daughter of Ralph married John McShane in Ballymore on 9 jun 1857 (FHL film 101383)

John Pentland, son of Ralph and Mary, married Ann Shevalin on 29 sep 1852 in Brannock, Newry, Armagh  (fhl film 101339)

Offline Plonkish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Thursday 01 November 18 14:52 GMT (UK) »
 :) That is very interesting as the dates of the marriages are similar to the dates for the marriage of William and Elizabeth, especially the last one where both parents names match and so does the location. If they were siblings, this would make sense. The names Thomas and John feature in the next generation too.

I'm very new to research in Ireland. Where did you obtain this information? Did you have to visit the records office?
Scotland: Pentland, Rankin, Fisher, Henry, Craig, Sutherland, Flemming, Liddell, Ward, Gillespie
England: Lough, Oakes, Levitt, Hester, Lyne, Bellamy, Lord, York, Horn
Ireland: Pentland, Main, McGowan

Offline Roxanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Saturday 03 November 18 14:37 GMT (UK) »
given that it had the FHL film numbers, I would guess FamilySearch.org.

Offline Roxanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Saturday 03 November 18 14:38 GMT (UK) »
I thought it was notable as it is the only Ralph I had ever seen referenced in Ireland records.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Saturday 03 November 18 16:18 GMT (UK) »

I have some references to a Ralph Pentland.
Seapatrick,
Thomas Pentland, s/o Ralph married Mary Ann Wilson, d/o Robert Wilson on 4 aug 1856, at Banbridge, FHL film 101373

Ellen Pentland, daughter of Ralph married John McShane in Ballymore on 9 jun 1857 (FHL film 101383)

John Pentland, son of Ralph and Mary, married Ann Shevalin on 29 sep 1852 in Brannock, Newry, Armagh  (fhl film 101339)

All these marriages have Civil Certs.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp
Images of the certs should be online (fingers crossed) soon. Should have been this month but there is word of a delay.

Offline Plonkish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks!

I just tried but it says that the site is undergoing maintenance. I will keep trying.
Scotland: Pentland, Rankin, Fisher, Henry, Craig, Sutherland, Flemming, Liddell, Ward, Gillespie
England: Lough, Oakes, Levitt, Hester, Lyne, Bellamy, Lord, York, Horn
Ireland: Pentland, Main, McGowan

Offline downpatrick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Tuesday 19 October 21 03:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have been working for some time on the Pentlands, especially the family in Lurgan c 1850 (my twig of the family) and the Pentlands of Gilford (I suspect a main branch of the root from Scotland)  and I know there are connections between the two.

The Uprichards were also from Townlands near Gilford - mostly in the Parish of Tullylish.

The Uprichard/Pentland connection that I know of is:

Thomas PENTLAND (1830 - 21 Aug 1891)
  b. 1830, Ballyworkan (Portadown) Armagh
  d. 21 Aug 1891, Ballyworkan (Portadown) Armagh
|   Jeremiah PENTLAND (1863 - )
|     b. 1863, Ballyworkan (Portadown) Northern Ireland
|   & Mrs  PENTLAND
|   |   Robert Henry PENTLAND (1902 - )
|   |     b. 1902, Ballyworkan (Portadown) Northern Ireland
|   |     d. Calgary Canada
|   |   & Lillian UPRICHARD
|   |     b. Ballyworkan, Portadown, Armagh
|   |     d. Calgary, Canada
|   |   |   son
|   |   James PENTLAND (1893 - )
|   |     b. 1893, Ballyworkan Portadown Armagh
|   |     d. Canada
|   |   Hugh PENTLAND (abt 1900 - )
|   |     b. abt 1900, Ballyworkan (Portadown)

I'd be delighted in anyone can offer me any refinements or additions to these folk?

Moderator's Note: Edited to remove details of possible living person in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.

Jeremiah's wife was Dinah.
James Pentland (born 1893) was my grandfather. He came back from Canada and married Evelyn Burby. They lived in Portadown. Set up petrol stations, then had a hardware store on Bridge Street. Had two daughters and a son.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Tuesday 19 October 21 07:31 BST (UK) »
Jeremiah's wife was Dinah.

Jeremiah married Dinah MORROW on 3rd September 1889 in Portadown Presbyterian Church.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1889/10748/5919420.pdf

He came back from Canada and married Evelyn Burby.

Married 8th February 1921 at St Marks Parish Church, Portadown.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1921/09216/5333904.pdf

Eveleen Burby in 1911 census
House 472 in Balbriggan Urban (Balbriggan Urban, Part of, Dublin).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Balbriggan_Urban__Part_of/Balbriggan_Urban/1213/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Tuesday 19 October 21 07:54 BST (UK) »

The grave stone definitely says  1863.    Have not been able to find  his death yet on any of the sites.

See GRONI online https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/
William Pentland   5th May 1963       74      Male        Lurgan

William born in 1890.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1890/02423/1902691.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo