Author Topic: Mckibbil,Elizabeth, Dublin,1880's  (Read 4150 times)

Offline coralc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hoping other Carrickfergus researchers may have in
    • View Profile
Mckibbil,Elizabeth, Dublin,1880's
« on: Friday 21 April 06 13:11 BST (UK) »
Dear fellow-treasure-hunters, Now that I have my paternal grandfathers birth certificate I'm trying to spin a web from the following information-William Hamilton Clarke, d.o.b. 25/7/1884, Chapelizod. Father William Clarke, surveyor.mother Elizabeth Mckibbil (?), nee/formerly  Hamilton. McKibbil seems an unlikely spelling, maybe McKibble?As Mckibbil seems like a surname I'm wondering if she had a first husband ,surname Hamilton, before marrying into the Clarke family, or perhaps McKibble is her mothers maiden name? Hoping for some info, maybe some one can place them in a Dublin Street Diectory ? Regards, Coral
David Boyd/Margaret Boyd (nee McCrea)James McIlwaine/Annie  McIlwaine (nee Condy)Carrickfergus,Late 19th/early 20th,William Hamilton Clarke-Dublin/Belfast/Eleanor Clarke(nee Anderson)Cumber?Belfast,also 19/20 th century.David was a shipwright,James a gardener,they had a wee shop in Carrickfergus around the turn of the century.Also Margaret, James& Samuel Weatherup c 17?? - 18??, also Carrickfergus

Offline coralc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mckibbil,Elizabeth, Dublin,1880's
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 March 07 09:48 GMT (UK) »
10/3/07 Still hoping for some help on any one in this post,can any one point me towards any records I could access from Brisbane, or help me with a look-up, or share local knowledge?  Rootschatters have been able to help with the Belfast side of my family , I'm hoping to trace my paternal side but haven't had much luck so far. Regards, Coral
David Boyd/Margaret Boyd (nee McCrea)James McIlwaine/Annie  McIlwaine (nee Condy)Carrickfergus,Late 19th/early 20th,William Hamilton Clarke-Dublin/Belfast/Eleanor Clarke(nee Anderson)Cumber?Belfast,also 19/20 th century.David was a shipwright,James a gardener,they had a wee shop in Carrickfergus around the turn of the century.Also Margaret, James& Samuel Weatherup c 17?? - 18??, also Carrickfergus

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 22:25 BST (UK) »
If the parents' surnames are different on the birth cert, surely that means they were not married? What else do you know about the family? More children? Have you looked for their marriage (if it exists?) Do you have a more exact address? I would try looking WIlliam Clarke up in the Dublin directory for that year.

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline coralc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 10:11 BST (UK) »
Kate, The birth certificate for my grandfather (William "Hamilton" Clarke) lists his mother as being Elizabeth McKibbil Clarke, (formerly  Hamilton)and his father Williiam Clarke, Surveyor, residence Falken or Falker, Chapelizod, and his birth date as 25/7/1884 He had sisters Eveline , Alice and Elizabeth, I'm not sure of their birth order. In 1912 the three girls were living in Euston Street,  Belfast, when they signed the Ulster declaration, as did William Clarke sign the covenant,from the same address.  Since my grandfather & his wife, Ellen are recorded as signing in Grove Street East, it looks as if my great grandfather had moved to Belfast ,from Dublin, with his daughters(no mention of his wife Elizabeth)
I live in Brisbane, Australia, are the Dublin directories available to view on line? My time is severely limited at the minute, as I have a family member suffering from post-natal depression as well as  working full -time, so I'm not getting any family research done, but I look forward to getting back to it again eventually, and would appreciate any clues or ideas any one has to offer.
 Regards, Coral

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 14:20 BST (UK) »
IGI throws up 2 more children:
Isabella Rhoda Clarke born 23 Apr.1880 Chapelizod, Dublin dau. of William Clarke & Eliza Hamilton.
Anne Jane Clarke born 3 Aug.1878 Cavan, Cavan, Ireland, dau. of William Clarke & Elizabeth McKibben Hamilton.

If William Clarke was a surveyor it would explain moving from Cavan to Dublin. Perhaps his marriage would have taken place in Cavan.

McKibben is certainly a surname in Ireland and could have been Elizabeth's middle name.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline coralc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 14:39 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey, Thanks for the IGI info, maybe the registrar who wrote the birth certificate mispelled Eliza's surname, I'll see if I can find any more about the sisters. Thanks again, Coral

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 14:44 BST (UK) »
One thing that occurs to meif you have an address near 1911, is to check it in the 1911 census. If you have one in or around 1901, check that one too.

There is an 1850 Dublin directory available to view online but it's a bit early for your purposes. I know archive CD have some on CD to buy but that may turn out expensive. You may have to use an Irish researcher unless you are near a library down under that has some.

Good luck.

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 15:08 BST (UK) »
Think it will be hard to find then in census records as surveyor might have moved around a bit.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jaykim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Just wondering if you are still researching this family as I can get you a little bit further back.