Author Topic: Looking for info on Army units based in Ballincollig in 1866 & Harding ancestors  (Read 29947 times)

Offline Mike A

• RootsChat Extra
  • Arthur Harding, b. 1866 in Ballincollig, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for info on Army units based in Ballincollig in 1866 & Harding ancestors
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 19 August 12 03:54 BST (UK) »
Picking up this thread again:

Re Eliza Harding - she was born in Ballincollig on July 24 1864 (I have her birth certificate) but cannot find any further information about her. I have only found 15 death records for “Eliza Harding” and the only one of those that might fit is the death of a child named Eliza Harding in 1866 in Millstreet, County Cork. The birth year is given as “about 1863” and age as “3”. As I have been unable to find any other reference at all to Eliza, it may well be that she died at an early age.

Arthur Harding Jnr was born on May 9 1866 in Ballincollig, and was raised in Ireland until his early teens. (My brother John recalled that he had a strong Irish accent and “was a nice bloke”)). He apparently came to England for work when he was about 15 years of age - on Census night 3 April 1881 he was boarding with Robert and Jane Higgs at 9 Frogmore Street, Wandsworth, London, occupation “Labourer”.

Arthur Jnr married Minnie Margaret Allsop on March 7 1896, in Dartford, Kent. Minnie’s grandfather was James Harding and I understand that Arthur and Minnie were first cousins, which would make James also Arthur Harding Snr’s father. However, Arthur Harding Snr and Margaret Long’s marriage certificate records his father’s name also as “Arthur”, occupation “Law Clerk”. This doesn’t seem to fit any of the facts as I understand them and could be an error. As per my last post, if "James Harding" was in fact Arthur Snr's father, then my search is back on track!

Margaret Elizabeth Harding (my mother) was born in Wilmington, Dartford on April 21 1897 and the 1901 census records Arthur, Minnie and Margaret aged 3, living at 10 Dorset Terrace, Wilmington, Dartford, Kent.

Arthur Harding continued working as a labourer and my mother told me that at one stage when they were living in Hendon, Arthur had had to walk to St Albans for work. My Aunt, Edith Rose Harding, was born in 1907 at Fleetville, St Albans, Hertfordshire. This seems to coincide with a period when Arthur had found work at St Albans.

In 1911, Arthur, Minnie, Margaret (my mother) and Edith Harding were living at 36 Borthwick Road, West Hendon, London NW9. (1911 census). Arthur’s occupation is given as “General Labourer”.

Arthur died in Colindale on March 15 1942. I was born on 9 February 1942 and I remember my mother telling me that Grandad did not get to see me before he died (I don’t know why, as we lived close by in Hendon). Apparently at that time he was a doorman at the local picture house and he had walked across the road to post a letter, turned around and then simply dropped dead from a heart attack. This story was well-known in my family and is particularly remembered because my mother died on Feb 11 1964 in strangely similar circumstances – she had just posted a letter and was talking to a friend near the post box when she collapsed and was taken to the nearby Colindale Hospital with a brain haemorrhage and died a few hours later.

Minnie Harding died on January 7 1954 aged 87. Interestingly, she died while living with Edith in a small apartment block that had been built directly opposite the Colindale cinema and close to the spot where Grandfather Harding died after posting a letter. In her later years Minnie suffered some dementia and confusion, but I remember visiting her that day after school and her mind was quite clear. Aunt Edith told me to say goodbye as I probably wouldn’t see her again and sure enough she died later that day.

Edith had a very late marriage to James Waller in 1963. She had suffered from very bad arthritis from an early age and found walking very difficult. I don’t know what happened to her after that, or when she died.

AUSTRALIA - Chapman; Heineimann; McDonald; Osborne; Willard; Zerner
ENGLAND - Adams; Allsop; Cook; Coppin; Coppock; Eldridge; Harding; Halls; Lewin; Read; Swannell; Tanner; Tate; Thornton or Thorton; Vian; Willard
GERMANY - Duhs; Fink; Heineimann; Schroeder; Schwenkin; Sibke; Zerner
IRELAND - Harding; Jones; Long
SCOTLAND - Chapman; Dawson (or Desson); Ewan; Jessiman; Mark; McDonald; Ross

Offline Pezza69

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for info on Army units based in Ballincollig in 1866 & Harding ancestors
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi, my 4th Great Grandfather, Paul Harding, finished as a Bombardier / Corporal within The RA here.  Unfortunately after an unfortunate accident during gun drill in 1834 he obtained a ruptured groin.  He faced a court martial as a consequence!  He & his family were moved back to Woolwich. - he was found not guilty & discharged from the RA, where he had served for 27rs including the Battle of Waterloo.

Harding had also served (accompanied) for 9 yrs in Colombo, Ceylon.

If you have any additional info on my Paul Harding (esp) photos it would be appreciated.
Perry

Offline Mike A

• RootsChat Extra
  • Arthur Harding, b. 1866 in Ballincollig, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Perry,
Sorry, but I have no information at all on your 4th great-grandfather, Paul Harding. I have not heard his name before in my line, so it may be a completely different family.
Best of luck with your search.
Regards from Oz,
Mike A
AUSTRALIA - Chapman; Heineimann; McDonald; Osborne; Willard; Zerner
ENGLAND - Adams; Allsop; Cook; Coppin; Coppock; Eldridge; Harding; Halls; Lewin; Read; Swannell; Tanner; Tate; Thornton or Thorton; Vian; Willard
GERMANY - Duhs; Fink; Heineimann; Schroeder; Schwenkin; Sibke; Zerner
IRELAND - Harding; Jones; Long
SCOTLAND - Chapman; Dawson (or Desson); Ewan; Jessiman; Mark; McDonald; Ross

Offline howebzar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 24 January 13 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Mike A & Embryo (and all contributors) - thanks for the information on this thread. We may be related too!

Arthur Harding Snr is my 2nd Grt Grandfather (I am on the Ellen Young branch) and can corroborate the toll keeper parts of your story.

There is a family story that suggests a military link to the De Trafford family, perhaps that Arthur worked as a gate keeper for the De Traffords on his return from India. I haven't been able to prove that though.

Apparently my Grt Grandmother (Lilian Harding) used curry powder in her soups quite a bit, even though I don't think she actually was out in India (born in Irlam).

TTFN.
Howe, Smith, Ellison, Wovenden, Sparks, Hooper, Oughton

Offline embryo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Harding hunters, I have finally received a copy of Henrietta Harding's birth certificate (b. 8 Mar. 1884). This cites Ellen's "former" name as being McGuire and Arthur's occupation as "sadler", despite him being the Collector of Tolls in Irlam at that time! From further research on "familysearch.org" (ref. M75023-1, India-EASy, 499048), I found a marriage record for Arthur Harding and Ellen.Two anomalies arise from this record: 1. bride's name Ellen Goony (father: Henry McGuire) and 2. Arthur's father's name being James Harding. On Arthur's marriage certificate with Margaret Long (13 April 1863), Arthur's father is cited as "Arthur Harding, Law clerk". Ellen's "former" name of McGuire, would suggest that she was previously married, or her mother re-married. Sources noted elsewhere on this thread, name her as Ellen Young and Ellen Gooney! "familysearch.org" (ref. B39315-5, India-EASy, 499033) records the death of a John Cooney, 19 Feb. 1869, Sergeant - Royal Artillery, in Saugor, Bengal, India.............a tenuous possibility?
embryo

Offline ballincollig military

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 24 May 14 15:25 BST (UK) »
8th Bde, R A in Ballincollig 1864-1866 at least with a gunner Arthur Harding Born Croydon Surrey c 1835.

Anne
I am researching Ballincollig Military to 1922, Information always welcome.

Offline ballincollig military

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1864-1866   in Ballincollig, Harding   Arthur   collar-maker/Gunner /driver    8th Bde, RA   age in Ballincollig 31, 33    Born ?1835   at   Croydon, Surrey      WO10/2514; WO10/2515; WO10/2516; WO10/2516: WO10/2517.Battery records of the Royal Artillery, 1859-1877, Vol 2, compiled by Lt. Col. M.E.S. Laws, OBE,MC, RA(retd), F.R.Hist. S. Pub. Royal Artillery Institution, Woolwich, 1970:

I am not sure that this will add much to your information.  You seem to have a comprehensive work in place.
Anne :)