Author Topic: Mottoul/Hobbs Help  (Read 2781 times)

Offline sheiljoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Mottoul/Hobbs Help
« on: Thursday 14 October 04 18:45 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with the names in my Family Tree that I have come to a stalemate with.
Louis Mottoul from Belgium married Catherine Hobbs on 19th May 1885 at Swansea Register Office. I found Louis Mottoul on the 1881 census also Catherine Hobbs, her fathers name was Robert Hobbs. As far as I know they had 3 children, Lettice Annie born 26/12/1886, Thomas Stafford and Rosaline. Thomas and Rosaline died very young. I have been unable to find Louis Mottoul and Catherine Mottoul on the 1891/1901 cencus can anyone help me in my quest. Any surname of Mottoul would be of help as they may have had more children. Thanks
These are the names I am researching and the further I delve the further apart the country is. Clarke, Fitt, Foulkes, French, Harris, Hobbs, Mckenna, Mottoul, Pugh, Scull, Smith, Spalding, Sprigg, Thomas, Wright. A right mixture here, England, Ireland, Wales & Belgium

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mottoul/Hobbs Help
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 October 04 20:58 BST (UK) »
I have had a good look for your ancestors with the resources available to me,  in 1881 your ancestor is the only entry for mottoul in the whole of the UK:
   Dwelling:   Neath Road
   Census Place:   Clase, Glamorgan, Wales
   Source:   FHL Film 1342290     PRO Ref RG11    Piece 5353    Folio 56    Page 70
   Marr   Age   Sex   Birthplace
Alex AELZER   M   35    M   Maestrict, The Netherlands
   Rel:   Head
   Occ:   Spelterman
Josephine AELZER   M   45    F   Huy, Belgium
   Rel:   Wife
Robert AELZER       13    M   Swansea, Glamorgan, Wales
   Rel:   Son
   Occ:   Tending Masons
Josephine AELZER       11    F   Swansea, Glamorgan, Wales
   Rel:   Dau
   Occ:   Scholar
Cristiana AELZER       11    F   Swansea, Glamorgan, Wales
   Rel:   Dau
   Occ:   Scholar
Louis MOTTOUL       26    M   Grasen, Belgium
   Rel:   Lodger
Richard VERBABE       22    M   Corsel, Belgium
   Rel:   Lodger

The problem with the 1901 census is that the name has not got a phonetic / soundex search facility. So you have to put the exact name in, and of course if you don't know
how the surname was enumerated you have a possibility of not finding your ancestors, just for your information I have tried the following variations in the 1901 search:
Mottoll, Mottoul, Mottole, Mottall, Mottal(x4), Mottaul, Motoll, Motoul, Mottoulle, Motole, Motall, Motal, Motaul, Modal, Modaul, Modall (x3), Motool, Modool, Motul, Mottul, Modul, Modole, Module, Motter (x21), Mottern.
Can anyone else think of any others possibles that the name might have been enumerated under?

1901 The only entry for Mottoul:
Name Age Where Born Administrative County Civil Parish Occupation
Lettice Mottoul  14 Glam Swansea Glamorgan Llandyfodwg Dress Maker

Aaron Mottal  28 Poland London Spitalfields Tailors Machinist 
Annie Mottal  28 Poland London Spitalfields   
Mary Mottal  2 London Spitalfields London Spitalfields   
Morris Mottal  5 London Spitalfields London Spitalfields   
Watson Mottal  24 Glasgow Lancashire Warwick Nuneaton Comedian Act

You could try subscribing to a mailing list, you will find a list of excellent lists here:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~jfuller/gen_mail.html the Belgian lists you will find via: http://www.rootsweb.com/~jfuller/gen_mail_country-blg.html
There are a list of Mottoul's (and in Belgium) on the LDS site: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp
However no Louis (apart from the 1881 census given above) and no other Mottoul's born in Grasen.

The Free BMD: http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl has these results:
Surname  First name(s)  Age  District  Vol  Page 
Marriages Jun 1885
MOTTOUL  Louis    Swansea  11a 1014   

Births Mar 1887
Mottoul  Lettice Annie     Swansea  11a 735   

Births Dec 1891
Mottoul  Thomas Stafford     Swansea  11a 905   

Deaths Mar 1892
Mottoul  Rosaline  3  Swansea  11a 531   

Deaths Jun 1893
Mottoul  Thomas Stafford  1  Swansea  11a 525

I have also noted whilst searching that the name appears in general as Mottoule (not without the 'e')

Sorry I haven't been able to come up with anything concrete for you, I wish you all the very best in your research.  ;)

Offline sheiljoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 October 04 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen,

Thanks very much for the information you have given me I will definately try the mailing list at rootsweb. You are an angel for trying.

Kind Regards Sheila
These are the names I am researching and the further I delve the further apart the country is. Clarke, Fitt, Foulkes, French, Harris, Hobbs, Mckenna, Mottoul, Pugh, Scull, Smith, Spalding, Sprigg, Thomas, Wright. A right mixture here, England, Ireland, Wales & Belgium

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 November 04 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Louis Mottoul from Belgium married Catherine Hobbs on 19th May 1885 at Swansea Register Office.

Just a thought, you mention the date, so i assume you have their marriage certificate. Did the certificate mention Louis Mottoul's father's name?

Regards Jen  :)

Online Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 November 04 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I don't  currently have any view access to the 1901 census, but I did find  these two on the  free search, on the pay for  view Government  1901 census  site, which look as  if they may (?) be the ones you are looking for.

I haven't got a fiche number for them either, as the gov site doesn't list the number in the free search results

Louis Mattoul age   49  Belgium Foreign Subject Glamorganshire Swansea Spelter Works Labourer

Catherine Mattoul  age  35 Glamorgan Swansea Glamorganshire Swansea   

I have the same type of problems  with many of my family names , so I just did the same  type of thing as what I usually do with  some of my lot to find yours.

How I found them was this way below:

I put in just the Christian  name of Louis into the search box ( no surname) , as he has the  more unusual name compared to Catherine , an  age of 46 ( as he was listed as being 26 in 1881), and a +, or - of 6 years against the age, birth place Belgium.
There were only 17 results  of Louis's born in Belgium around that age group , and only one in Glamorgan with a very similar surname of Mottoul - one  Louis Mattoul  .
 Then I went back to the search box  and  put  just the "Mattoul" name into the box , no age, no Christian names  etc and no keywords to see if there were any other family around under that name. I  had just these two results  back above for the whole of England and Wales - Catherine and Louis.

If there are any other of their family about in 1901 , they are probably miss-transcribed/spelt under yet another name again.

Hope that is of some help. I'm at a block with my own escape artists , it's giving me headaches  so I'm  taking a  little break from my lot at the moment  :)

P.S.

I also searched the 71 Glamorgan  census  on British origins for you , as I have paid up  access to  the images on that, just in case he immigrated when he was a young man.
I used  their wildcard search on the name to search this one.

"m?tt??l?" ( question marks are the wildcard letters) . I had  no results. So it looks as if he may have   immigrated into Britain between the years of  1871 and 1881,  that is unless he was in another country that year. ( They  only have  the Glamorgan 1871 census for Wales on there, besides a few of the English counties too)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline sheiljoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 May 05 10:57 BST (UK) »
Sorry for not answering the last two post but my computer packed up but now I am back online and raring to go again. Thanks for the replies and help I have had in my absence.

On the marriage certificate it states Louis Mottoul's father as Francis Mottoul, carpenter.

All of your help as been most appreciated