Author Topic: Date and Question please  (Read 699 times)

Offline mystcarrie

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Date and Question please
« on: Saturday 22 April 06 05:39 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to the uniform like outfit the gentleman on the left is wearing?, and a possible date as to when the photo was taken?.

Any other thoughts or ideas are most welcome.

Best regards,
Carrie
HUNT-Lancashire/Cheshire
BENNETT-Middlesex/London

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: Date and Question please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 April 06 07:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Carrie,

I do not think that it is a uniform as such that he is wearing. It appears to be that he is wearing the jacket of a double breasted suit (the buttons are normal buttons not livery/forces ones) and the hat would appear to have no badge etc. He is also wearing a knitted (machine/hand) cardigan under his jacket which indicates to me that this was more nrmal day wear than anything else.

With the style and cut of the jacket plus the wearing of the bow tie and cardi together I would hazard a guess and would say that the date period was between 1920 and 1925 (I would also have to say that his dress points me more to the America's than to Britain mind you I could be totally wrong on this).

However having said that the seated figure has the style that was common a tad earlier. This being style of hair, trim of moustache and clothing and he would point me to a date just before the first world war or just after.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline mystcarrie

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Date and Question please
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 18:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you Old Rowley.
Your answer has been very helpful.
I love this site.
Take care!
HUNT-Lancashire/Cheshire
BENNETT-Middlesex/London