Author Topic: hugh humphrey Evans Pontypool monmouth  (Read 12581 times)

Offline Emmap4445

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: hugh humphrey Evans Pontypool monmouth
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma, I think your Great Nan Agnes Outhwaite was the daughter of Lady Mary L Dixon who was married to William Fishwick Outhwaite. Lady Mary died in 1922 which would fit with Agnes being 8 years old. I’m still trying to find all 8 of Agnes siblings but have found that she had a brother Joseph William Outhwaite who was married to Josephine May Evans Greener. As Jo H has previously said Greener being her adopted surname. Hugh Evans & May Meredith were her biological parents. Donald Archer Evans (who is the father of my cousins husband) was Josephine’s brother and was brought up by his Grandmother Sarah Meredith who was May’s mother. Back to your Great Nan Agnes, she is Josephine’s sister in law, and so that makes her my cousins husband’s Aunt’s sister in law.

Offline Goosiebaby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 22:04 BST (UK) »
Well granny gill as we called her died in 2002 after a long battle with numerous strokes. The frst one was bad and paralised her, just after her husband died i  1994.

I cant wait to  visit my nanna and tell her what ive found out, as she wanted to know where every one fitted in.

Agnes had 2 daughters and 2 sons. John Arthur, Marjorie May, Joan M (want to say marlene but not 100% sure) And Dennis.

It would be nice to chat if anyone related wants to. Im on facebook
goosiebaby@hotmail.co.uk
Or Emma Louise Webb. We currently reside i  north yorkshire, and would love to be in touch if you want. Ilove learning about my family tree.

Offline Goosiebaby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 09 June 19 17:33 BST (UK) »
We have a photo of Josephine May who my nanna called Aunty may, with her husband Joseph William Outhwaite, (Agnes's brother), who died at Warwick Barracks, London, in 2nd world War.

Agnes's other siblings were Mary ann Outhwaite Who married Tomas Hauson.

Samual Outhwaite who married Jennifer.

James Outhwaite (no other info)

Thomasina Outhwaite who married Sydney Thompson

John aka Jim (no fourthe info)

And a baby girl who was adopted after Lady Mary Fishwick Dixon died, in child birth. This baby girl was adopted by some aunty. But any other info unknown.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Regards

Emma

Offline Outhwaite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 27 October 19 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I've just joined this forum after finding this thread via Google, based on some of the names mentioned. I carried out some research years ago & I need to dig it out the details, but Lady Mary Louisa & William Fishwick Outhwaite were my Great Grandparents & Joseph William & Josephine May Outhwaite were my Grandparents.

@ Jo H: Does this make us first cousins? :-)

Among my archives, I have the certificate from the King about Grandad Joe's death in WW2 & various 'photos including one of William Fishwick Outhwaite in middle age.

My mum (deceased) told me that Josephine May told her shortly before she died (1963?) that she had been adopted as a child. Her adoptive mother (Frances Greener) survived her into my childhood (we called her Ma-ma) & died aged 96 years, in the mid 70s I think. I was told Ma-ma never wanted to talk about the 'old days' & so wasn't asked to confirm the adoption by my family when I was young. In any case, she suffered deafness & dementia towards the end of her life.

My father and two of his three brothers had the middle name Evans. Around 2000 I obtained Josephine May's birth cert, which confirmed the Evans connection.

I corresponded briefly with my (Great) Auntie Agnes (Outhwaite/Gill) shortly before she died.

I haven't been active with Family History since then & the notes & archives are all in store, so the above is entirely out of my head, but I'll dig it out when I next have chance (in a few weeks) to look through.

Dave

Offline Jo H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 27 April 20 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

My Uncles are Owthwaite my mum was born to Josephine's second husband Herbert Adams. I guess this would make us cousins somewhere down the line.
I would love to see any photos you have as i don't have many with my mum only being half sister to the brothers and my grandparents dying before i was born.
I'm still not finding any information about Hugh Evans though not sure what happened to him after May died or before for that matter?

Jo-Ann

Offline Outhwaite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 23 May 20 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo-Ann, I just saw your reply as I had given up checking regularly a while ago to see if anyone had posted one!

I didn't know my Dad had a half-sister, but my eldest sister Sandra might know of your mum & I'll ask her (via Facebook as we are geographically apart).

I shall check for photos of Nana Adams & will post again with my findings ...

Best wishes

Dave

Offline Outhwaite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 24 May 20 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi again Jo-Ann, my sister Sandra does remember your mum & they seem to have got on well, although they lost touch before you were born Sandra says & she didn't know about you.

Josephine May was adopted as mentioned in earlier posts by my Ma-ma & her then husband Bam - their surname was Greener. From memory, the name of your maternal Grandmother at the time of her marriage to Grandad Joe was Josephine May Evans Greener.

Ma-ma was old when I knew her - she died aged 96 years & was living then in a care home in Carcroft, the mining village in which I grew up. Sandra interviewed her about family history in the 60s & 70s but Ma-ma was cagey & denied the fact that Josephine May was adopted - possibly we think because this would mean Ma-ma wasn't related to us by blood & we were the main family looking after her at the time. Ma-ma was also rather confused generally when I knew her too.

I think there is a bit of 8mm movie film from a school gala in 1963 with Nana Adams appearing briefly, but it may take a while to check as I'll have to locate both the film & a projector with which to view it!

Best wishes,

Dave

Offline sunnyg1rl05

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 28 June 20 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi sorry to hi Jack the thread, its been a while since I looked at the family tree, and on here to be honest... just wish I could turn the clock back and tell my mother in law that her dad did have a sister, I must of missed Josephines birth entry at the time ...
Sadly my husband  ( ex as we were separated but not gone thru divorce) passed away 18 months ago,  he would have been interested to hear this..
If anyone would like to keep in touch I would be  delighted.
Kaz x
warwickshire: blakeman, lines, Taylor, wilcox
somerset, taunton: hallet
shropshire, bridgnorth, cleobury mortimer: foxall, poyner,charles
worcestershire: hardwick, smith
Gloucestershire: Smith, Pearse
monmouth:pontypool, meredith,
Caernarvon: humphreys
denbighshire, evans