Author Topic: Help with Some Place Names Please  (Read 3440 times)

Offline morganjr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help with Some Place Names Please
« on: Saturday 22 April 06 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Found an ancestors baptism in 1821 at St.Mary's, Capel Nant Ddu near Llwyn-on in Breconshire.  The parents who (shamefully!) were not married, were living in different places - one given as YNYSFAWR and one as YNYSTAF.  Sure these could be house/farm names rather than places but does anyone know anytyhing about these place names please or where they might be?!

Thanks

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Some Place Names Please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 April 06 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Morganjr

Try http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

Use the address search rather than the place name search & you should find Ynys Fawr at least.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 April 06 00:56 BST (UK) »
i think you will find that ynysfawr was in merioneth & ynystaf is in merthyr vale, kali.
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.

Offline rhys

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 April 06 01:58 BST (UK) »
Hello
If the Parents were resident in the parish of  Capel Nant Ddu,i think you will find the farms  on the old-maps web site with  coordinate searches as follows.

YNYS FAWR 300666,213115 a hundred yards or so to the west of Llwn On

YNYS DAF 300881,211541 to the north of Pont ar Daf bridge.

Go to enlarged view and scroll.

Ynysdaf may well be a corruption of Ynystaf
The bridge at Pont ar Daf  (which is now under the Llwyn Onn reservoir)was in fact a bridge over the Taff Fawr River. Ynysdaf  to the north of the bridge is probably submerged as well.

I know someone who farms within a mile  or so of the locations.so will see if he knows anything and get back to you

Rhys
Bouncing Emails

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline morganjr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 April 06 12:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks guys.

Thanks arranroots for pointing me in the direction of the old maps site - not seen that before - very useful.

Thanks Rhys for your information - I think your info is spot on.  My ancestor John Morgan is rumoured to have been born in Ynys(y)felin - the village beneath the Llwyn-on reservoir.  I've typed both of the co-ordinates into streetmap.co.uk to see where they are "today" and ynys-daf (taf) comes back as being under where the reservoir is today so that would certainly make a lot of sense.  If you find out any more Rhys, please be sure to let me know.  Thank you so much for this awesome info!  Just what I was hoping for.

Jason

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hi just in case you don't know Ynys means Island so Ynys felin-Island mill  Ynys Taf- Taf island  possibly an island in the river Taff. Capel Nant ddu -chapel on a black stream and Ynys Fawr Big Island
 :) Trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.