Author Topic: Edna Brindley  (Read 886 times)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Edna Brindley
« on: Sunday 23 April 06 10:51 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the Parents of an Edna Bridley who married a Charles Cartlidge at Norton in the Moors in 1820.The Marriage Entry from the Parish registers on Ancestry shows a Thomas Brindley as a Witness.There is a submitted entry in the IGI for this Edna Brindley,which although it does not give her Parents,estimates her birth to have been at Norton in c 1800.Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bondgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edna Brindley
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 April 06 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi William,

I am not sure if this is them for definate but its a good lead to investigate further...

Basically through deduction...(looking at the IGI Batch numbers for Norton in the Moors)... I have come up with the following...this may sound complicated just bear with me ;D

Lets say Edna was born in 1800..

Parents of Edna quite possibly will have been in/ around their late teens/20's/30's when she was born......this would mean that potential parents would have to be born around 1770-1784..yep??

OK..Looked at the births between 1770 and 1784 for Norton in the moors on the assumption that Edna may have had siblings born in the same area......there are only a few people listed born between those years..and they appear to be brothers.. George b1780 who marries Alice Hodgett in 1806, John b 1777, Thomas b 1783 and Charles b 1775...

Thomas could be the witness???..

Their parents were Charles and Mary  ednas mum and dad possibly??

..now........working on the assumption that Charles their father was likely to have been born 20-30 years before the birth of their youngest child that i can find listed who was probably their first born by the look of his name..Charles b 1775 .. i searched for Ednas grandads birth in Norton around 1752...a round about figure which would make him about 23 at the birth of Charles his first child.................... guess who was born in 1757..Charles brindley.... Making him 18 at the birth of his first child Charles born in 1775!....

So Ednas great grandparents( if this deduction is right.. are listed as John and Mary Brindley..

John again on the same principle..must therefore have been again late teens/20/30's when children arrived..so you are looking for a John marrying a mary around 1757..the time of Charles Birth and theres a John Brindley marrying a Mary Holcroft 1746 norton

All you need to do now is a little more digging to find other children that may possibly have similar names ..ie edna may for example be named after her grandmother's mother..and the pieces may start to slot in with this line..

Hope it helps and you get results..its the one that i think I would be investigating as the timings seems to fit nicely.

I also hope that wasnt too long winded..but a little deduction can go a long way into getting you going again.

Good Luck!!

B :)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edna Brindley
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 April 06 16:48 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your interest Bondgirl,and at the very least you prompted me to do a thorough search of the IGI Entries for Norton.However there was no sign of Edna nor Charles Cartlidge who is also said to be born in Norton in c17795 on the IGI.IIi did find a Charles Cartlidge born in Burslem in 1800,which is about the nearest to Norton,and the nearest in terms of Birthyear.One point I am in agreement with you is on this subject of naming pattterns,where such patterns can often be more valuable than the basic records themselves.One thing did cross my mind,and that is the name Edna a varsion perhaps of another name?

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk