Author Topic: Looking for Sarah Scott  (Read 1042 times)

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Looking for Sarah Scott
« on: Sunday 23 April 06 12:16 BST (UK) »
I am hoping someone can help me crack this. I need about 4 years of missing time and I might be able to figure out what I am looking for.

I am trying to locate my gg grandmother, who was born in 1864 and died in 1888. I believe she was born in Ireland, as that is what all of her daughters' census records state for her, although her death certificate says born in England. She married my gg grandfather, James Hayes,  somewhere between the 1881 British census and 1884, when their first child was born. I don't know where they got married. James is on the 1881 census in Staffordshire (working at the insane asylum). By 1884 he is married to Sarah and living in Orange, Essex County, NJ. The death cert also says she was a resident of New Jersey for 4 years. They have another daughter in 1886 (my great-grandmother) and Sarah dies from an infection after childbirth in 1888. We also don't know what happened to the babies (family rumor is that it was twins).

We have many theories about Sarah, and when and how Sarah and James met, but we can't find anything concrete. It seems quite a whirlwind for James, new country, married, with baby in less than 4 years. I would love some ideas as to how to crack this. Thanks.

Kathleen
Kathleen
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline grub

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Xander
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Sarah Scott
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 April 06 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathleen
Does Sarah's death certificate provide the name of her father??

I see only 1 Sarah Scott on the 1880 census in New Jersey. She is of approximate age, b Engand, and is daughter to Eli and Elizabeth Scott both born England.

Do you know if James remained in the USA following Sarah's death?  Some of the later census (no 1890 :()
ask for year of immigration.

Any idea of James' year and place of birth?

Regards,
Valerie

Bayley, Dorset, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Cheshire and others.
Antrobus, Somerset/Glouster
Skelton, Heslington, Yorkshire
James, Norfolk, and London
Delasalle, London area
Gravett/Grevet, Surrey
Also searching the above in Australia

“Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Sarah Scott
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 April 06 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi. Sarah's death cert says nothing about her parents, unfortunately. We may have a link to a Sarah Scott living in Stafford in 1881 census. I'll have to check this one out also. We aren't sure when she came to America, which makes it hard. James stayed in Essex County, New Jersey untiil his death in 1943. The 1930 lists year of emmigration as 1883, but I have found them not to always be reliable. And James was born about 1853 in Dunston Heath, Staffordshire. I have a pretty complete record of him, except for this missing few years. He lived with his daughters for his whole life, dying when my mom was 8, in the house she lived in.

Thanks for anything you can find, and I will check out that 1880 census.

Kathleen
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA