Author Topic: Pegg Family, Notts and Derby  (Read 29647 times)

Offline xracer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pegg Family, Notts and Derby
« Reply #36 on: Friday 09 April 21 18:48 BST (UK) »
 This is a question for Peggasus. My name is Debbie Cantrell Cunningham and I live in the U.S. Daniel Pegge who you mentioned in your post (copied below in "") married the sister of my great (9 times) grandmother Dorothy Jones Cantrill , her name was Barbara Jones. I am looking for the father of my great (9 times) grandfather Richard Cantrill who came here to Philadelphia in 1682/1683. You don't happen to have any info on Richard, do you? I know it's a long shot but you never know when an answer to your questions are going to show up. Thank you!                                                                     
"I've got Pegg/Pegge records going back to 1327, mostly around Loughboruogh up to 1508 then most clear records come from the branch at Shirley near Ashbourne. The family crypt is there. That family is the root of the Pegges of Beauchief Abbey and the Catherine Pegge who had two children by Charles II.

There are other lines which stayed in the Leicester/Nottingham/Derby area, and one group in North Norfolk back to the 1500's. I recently found one solitary John Pegg in Burgh, Cumberland in 1336. I have the hearth tax and muster roll records of the Pegges in Derbyshire in the 1600's.

I have also located 2 Pegges in Lincolnshire which is assumed to be the origin of Daniel Pegge the Quaker who established the principal US branch in Philadelphia 1680-i"