Author Topic: Brecon Archives  (Read 6489 times)

Offline mandyg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brecon Archives
« on: Sunday 23 April 06 21:37 BST (UK) »
Can someone please look up the marriage of William Griffiths to Mary Davies , in 1802, in Llanfihangel Nant Bran, if they are ever visiting Brecon Archives.

Thanks,

Mandyg

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Brecon Archives
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 October 06 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hi MandyG,
                 Are you still looking for this marriage? I live very close to Llan-nant-bran but I don't think there are copies of the registers in Brecon, I think they are in the county archives at Llandrindod Wells. Let me know if you are still interested, & I will be able to help I'm sure.
Alsop/allsop,Debanks,Pidock, Nevill, Milward,Loxley,Holmes,Wall,Garton,Lowe,Shepherd,Lintott

Offline mandyg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 October 06 06:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Kayzee,

I am still looking for this marriage. I have been to th Archives in Llandrindod Wells but was told they didn't keep the records for that parish. I thought I was told Brcon but I must have made a mistake.I think Crickhowell was mentioned as well, would they be likely to have those records do you know? I am looking for information about William Griffiths having a connection with Gwenddwr. Hope you can help as I seem to have hit  a bit of a blank wall.

Thanks Mandyg

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 October 06 09:46 BST (UK) »
I have telephoned Llandod this morning & they hold the marriage register for Llan-nant-bran from 1813 onwards & the previous register is lost. However the bishop's transcripts frm 1719 -1809 survive but are held at the National Library of Wales in Aberystwyth. Bishop's transcripts are patchy but it might be worth e-mailing them with your request as they are quite helpful & it would be a very quick lookup. There address is holi[at]llgc.org.uk , but before you do, are you sure you are talking about the correct parish? There are a lot of Llanfihangel-nant-somethings in Wales! I notice you have a year & parish but no actual date of marriage so assume you have the detail from the IGI submitted by a member? These entries can be way off mark, I had one which said a marriage had taken place in Scotland which had actually taken place in Birmingham!
        If you have no joy with Aberyswyth, or want further help, let me know as I will try to help if I can. By the way there would be no chance of any registers for L-N-B in Crickhowell, but if you want photos of that area or L-N-B, I can help out. so feel free to ask.

Moderator comment: please replace @ with [at] when quoting published email addresses, to prevent spam

Alsop/allsop,Debanks,Pidock, Nevill, Milward,Loxley,Holmes,Wall,Garton,Lowe,Shepherd,Lintott

Offline mandyg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 October 06 07:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your heip and information. I was given  the marriage details  and think Llanfihangel Nant Bran is the most likely parish. I have been on the website you gave me and have been unable to  find  records I was looking for.
Thanks again Mandyg

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 October 06 14:37 BST (UK) »
The address I gave was an e-mail address for you to mail & ask for a look-up. However as L-N-B is only a likely parish for the marriage I think you would be better off contacting Powys Family History Society. I see they have an index of marriages for Breconshire from 1754 - 1812 and will search this free of charge but will charge £3-00 to provide the detail if the marriage is successfully found. This would seem like the best way for you to go as they may have married in the bride's home parish or further afield depending on the circumstances & searching village by village is very time consuming.
      The e-mail address is alan[at]powellma.fsnet.co.uk. I assume BT's are included in this index but it might be worth asking first. I don't think they have witness names, but once you have a definate parish that could be checked out at a later date. If witnesses are very important to you there another avenue but I don't know the cost.

Offline mandyg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 October 06 06:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help.

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 December 13 07:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mandyg,

I am researching the Griffiths family in Llanfihangel Nant Bran, and I am interested in your reference to a marriage of William Griffiths to Mary Davies in 1802. I can't find this particular marriage and I would like to know more. In particular, I am interested in Esther Griffiths who was my ggrandmother! She was baptized in LlnB 1802.

Thanks
Llanfi :) :) :) :)
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline paullg

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 November 17 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mandyg

I have started researching my family history and I see that you are looking for the marriage of William Griffiths to Mary Davies on 9 Dec 1802 at LLanfihangelnantbran.
I know a long time has passed but did you find any further information.

I too have got back to William & Mary but can get no further.
If I am right, they are the parents of Daniel, James & Isaac Griffiths. Isaac is my gg grandfather.

Here's hoping you had some success
Paullg