Author Topic: Arnott Hill House  (Read 4695 times)

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Arnott Hill House
« on: Monday 24 April 06 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

Does anybody have any information regarding Arnott Hill and the families that lived there. 

I'm trying to find out whether a family by the name Wilson had ever lived there.

Any info however small would be VERY much appreciated.

Jayson
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Nessie

• I am sorry my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arnott Hill House
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 April 06 16:23 BST (UK) »
What sort of timescale are you talking about? Do you know when you expect the Wilsons to have lived there? :) :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 April 06 07:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

My organisation had Arnot Hill House as its headquarters until it moved to larger premises. I have been there many times. We had the Christmas party there one year.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 April 06 12:07 BST (UK) »
Dear Nessie/Jane

Thank you so very much for taking the time to respond to my recent message about Arnot Hill House.

I'm really hoping to find out anything I can for a relative who doesn't have email/internet access.  She believes her great-grandparents (JOHN MOWBRAY WILSON & his wife ELLEN) to have lived there.  This couple's youngest daughter, Kate Adeline, was born in 1863 so the period we're interested in would be the 1850s/1860s & beyond.

My cousin Jean has in her possession a very old picture which seems to date from the Regency period.

Jean would be really appreciative & thrilled by any infomation about Arnot Hill.

Jayson  :)

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 April 06 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

Here is a first snippett of information:

Arnot Hill Park dates back to 1792 where it originated as a villa landscape to compliment the house built by John Hawksley, a Nottingham manufacturer and mill owner. Many changes have taken place since that time to both the house and the grounds occupying Arnot Hill Park e.g. the house has been rebuilt on at least two occasions and the lake which dates back to the original mill pond has seen many changes to it since the Daybrook stream once flowed through and fed the lake.

In its time the park has had a colourful range of uses and activities dating back to 1919 following the end of the First World War, when it was formally opened to the public as an open space for the people of Arnold. Over the years activities have included maypole dancing, tennis, bowls, fishing and a bandstand that lasted from the Coronation of 1937 to 1970.

From: http://www.gedling.gov.uk/index/leisure/ls-fahp.htm

Jane

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 April 06 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane Swan

Oh, this is absolutely brilliant.  A thousand thanks for this, Jane.  Jean will be really interested in this as it sheds so much light on the history of Arnot Hill and the surrounding park land.

Thanks once again

All the best - Jayson ;D ;D

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 April 06 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

Don't get too excited yet as I cannot find evidence that they did live there. I have lots of different ways to find out but some may take a few weeks.

Head of Household
1851 Mr Simpson
1858 Mrs Simpson
1861 John & Eliza ? (not Wilson) Gardener
1862 Richard Eaton
1871  Edward Hall retired solicitor

I won't give up yet.

Jane

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 April 06 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

It's very interesting to see who else had lived at Arnot Hill.  Another kind person emailed me yesterday and told me that he had found that John Mowbray Wilson was the son of John Wilson and Ann.  This John Wilson was a lace Manufacturer and was described as of Arnot Hill when his son was baptised at Arnold on the 2 July 1826.  But does this mean that John & Ann Wilson actually lived at Arnot Hill House? I'm not sure.

Jean was really thrilled by the info you found for her, Jane.  She told her cousin Barbara who's 81, and she was really interested.

Jean & Barbara wanted me to convey to you their gratitude for all your help with this.   

Thanks once again, Jane.

Take care - Jayson.

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 April 06 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yes that information is on the Nottm Fam Hist Soc Bapt CD. I'm not sure if it does mean at the house.

Jane