Author Topic: Help finding burial/death of Great Aunt  (Read 4919 times)

Offline dixie2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help finding burial/death of Great Aunt
« on: Friday 31 March 06 13:48 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace details of Nelly Elizabeth Roberts bn Teddington, Middlesex, England 1878. She moved to Canada 1912 or thereabouts. Stayed with her sister Christine Lapidge in Calgary and in 1954 moved to Vancouver, possibly with the Lapidge family. I have a last known address for Christine who I know is deceased, and indeed I have had some contact with a member of the Lapidge family who now lives in the UK. It is believed that Nelly Eliabeth Roberts died soon after her arrival in Vancouver. I have checked Vital Stats and can find no trace of her. Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding burial/death of Great Aunt
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 March 06 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Dixie,

There's an Elizabeth Ellen Roberts who died May 27, 1958 in Vancouver, BC age, 76 years. Registration No. 1958-09-006437.

Was Christine's husband William John?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline dixie2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 March 06 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen

Don't think your Elizabeth is correct, Nelly was def bn 1878 accordingly to family bible. Yes Christine's husband was William John. I have an address for relatives of Christines daughter in British Columbia but they have not replied to a letter I sent. Either they are not interested in family history or they have moved. So the brick wall is still there. I know Christine and William arrived in Moose Jaw 1912, not sure if Nelly was with them or joined them later in Calgary. would love to know what they did on arrival and until their deaths. I know they had 4 children one born shortly after their arrival in Moose Jaw, 2 of their grandchildren live in England but have no interest in family history, if they did I am sure I would learn a lot more. Thanks for your interest.
Regards Dixie2

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 March 06 18:46 BST (UK) »
That's too bad you havn't had a reply.  Have you tried www.canada411.ca to see if they have moved?

Another thing about that death, is maybe the informant did not know the exact year your Nelly was born since they are only off 4 years?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline dixie2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 March 06 20:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen

I have just looked on Canada 411 and found a person by the same name that I wrote to, its a different address so I am going to try and see if I get a reply this time. Thanks for your suggestion. If I hear from him I will let you know.
Kind regards, Dixie2

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 March 06 20:50 BST (UK) »
That's great Dixie2,

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline dixie2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 April 06 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen

Yippee, I have just had a reply from the guy in Canada. His mother is the daughter of Christine Lapidge, Nelly's sister. I have her address and will be writing to her (only snail mail, I shall just have to be patient). Apparently the address I was given was 13 years old, without your help I probably would not have found him. Thank you so much, wish I could be lucky this side of the ocean, hit the proverbial brickwall with great grandads birth cert!!!
Will let you know how I get on with Christines daughter, she may have lots to tell me.
Thank you again. Dixie 

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 April 06 12:24 BST (UK) »
That's Excellent Dixie!!!

Thanks for letting us know, hopfully she will will have tons of information for you.

Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline dixie2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thanks to KarenM
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 April 06 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen
I promised to let you know if I had any luck with tracing Great Aunt Nellie. Well thanks to your advice I have now been in contact with her niece, she has passed on lots of info and is very interested in Family History. Unfortunately it will have to be by snail mail, I will just have to be patient. The last letter took 10 days !!!
Thanks again. Dixie2