Author Topic: WILKES of Gloucestershire  (Read 16428 times)

Offline wmwilk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WILKES of Gloucestershire
« Reply #18 on: Monday 15 June 15 02:13 BST (UK) »
No have not come across this line. Warren
Wilkes/Piggin

Offline johnfw

• RootsChat Member
  • 5 convict ancestors !! how bad does it get ??
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 15 June 15 05:12 BST (UK) »
Very interesting, a post of long ago attracts interest. Guess it says something for the benefit of such a forum. I have had contact with Warren in the past and thank him for his information of previous. You both have valued info on Edwin and family. Of the Wilkes Migrants Charles and Mary, Sons Samuel Hickling, William and Edwin with Eleonor Piggin sister of Mary arrived Sydney 1854 onboard "Kate". Charles was born in Australia. My Great Grandfather was William and ran a coach service from Pymble to Milsons Point (culd have been Blues point) to connect with the ferry service to Sydney. This was discontinued as the rail service completed on the North Shore, Hornsby to the Harbour and then the Bridge. The family ended with Drays contracted to the council on road and construction projects in the Kuringai Municipality, also operating a stone quarry at Killara.

Just some insite to my bit of history

John (PM if more info)
WILKES WILKS; Gloucester
PIGGIN; Leicester

Offline OzDubs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 15 June 15 05:55 BST (UK) »
thanks John - you can blame me for re-igniting this page - I have done my mums side and thought I should research my dad's side

Offline johnfw

• RootsChat Member
  • 5 convict ancestors !! how bad does it get ??
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 02:01 BST (UK) »
A good deed and very interesting, I left my start too late and both parents and most aunts / uncles had passed. However it was a burning need to solve discrepancies in past information and the inheritance of some very interesting documents. A cousins research on one branch helped as something to attach new found detail. With good software and the internet its a pleasure.

The pain is not being able to share new info with my parents who I feel sure were happy with any  rumour of the day, and of that era were happy to let be.
WILKES WILKS; Gloucester
PIGGIN; Leicester

Offline OzDubs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 02:27 BST (UK) »
I am fortunate that both my parents are still alive and mum has a great memory. I really wanted to find out about the Wilkes' since it was my maiden name and my 3 sons have it as a middle name. I knew we weren't convict stock, I knew it was England but didn't know what region. We had a rugby billet from Gloucestershire a couple of years ago and all the team ended up at our place for a party - I now wonder if we were related to any of them. Dad never knew there was a baby called Rose Australia Wilkes who obviously died as a baby - Emily his Ma (wife of Edwin Jr) was always fearful this may explain it. I found an article where my Grandfather Norman (Pop Pop) was fined 3 pounds for driving in a dangerous manner up Glebe Road doing 50 mph (sounds like he was car racing) - it was 1925 and he was 19 - I wonder what car he had - my Dad had never heard this story so it must've swept under the carpet - then my dad said Pop Pop won the 1st race at Maroubra Speedway - he was a champion ice skater at the Glacierium, raced trotting horses and owned the 1st motor auction in Sydney called Luxe Motors - I think he liked speed - he was a very wealthy man - all of this in a life cut short by a heart attack at 55 - so young. The internet is wonderful and I will keep searching. I would love to see any pictures - can you attach them here thanks D x

Offline wmwilk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 08:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. Rose Australia Wilkes was your Great Grandfathers sister. She was the youngest of the four (Charles Edwin Lilian and Rose) Rose married Aurthur Cheeseman and both are buried at Rookwood in the family grave along with the rest  She inherited the house 149 Cook Road. Her sister lived nextdoor in 151,which Edwin Snr built for her. If you google 100 Lang Rd that was their first house in Centennial Park called Tufton Villa. Edwin and Charles had the terraces built in Hereford street  at the front of the stables and yard there.  I have a number of family wills that list all the properties.
You say we didn't come from convict stock ,they say its a bonus if you did, well your great great grandmothers side have convicts (Charles Heywood Transported 1820 Prince Regent)  Regards Warren
Wilkes/Piggin

Offline PaulM8

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 11 October 23 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hello JohnFW
This post goes back a long way, just happen to be looking at my branch of the Wilkes in Gloucester. Just visited Framilode, birthplace of my 3rd Greatgrandfather. Edmund the grandson of Charles Wilkes & Elizabeth Bradley Tewkesbury. Will have to research a bit more to try and fathom out all the connections mentioned here. Interesting.