Author Topic: Neill family of Hillsborough  (Read 2557 times)

Offline Brisgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Neill family of Hillsborough
« on: Thursday 27 April 06 06:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters,

I would like to find out more about my Neill ancestors from Ireland.  According to family info, they came from Hillsborough, Co. Down.  The family members I have so far are:

William Neill
b. abt 1796, Hillsborough
depending on who I ask, he was a soldier in the British Army in India, a spice merchant and/or a farmer

Lillian Neill, nee Weir
possibly born in Scotland

Children:

Thomas, William, Margaret, Martha, Jane & Abraham (my g-g-grandfather).

Abraham migrated to Australia in 1852 when he was only 9 years old in the company of his 30-year-old brother Thomas and his wife Margaret. 

Any assistance or advice to track them down would be greatly appreciated.

Brisgirl
Qld, Australia
Hewson (Dublin); Beacom (Co. Tyrone), Beer (Devon); Perry (Warwickshire); Tanner (Wiltshire); Mostyn Owen (Shropshire & Wales); Coles (Somerset & London); Fox (Cornwall); Peirce (Monmouth); Tolson (Yorkshire); Haigh (Yorkshire); Lunn (Yorkshire); Neill (Co. Down); Davies (Shropshire); Dryden (Roxburgh); McVane (Roxburgh); Lillico (Roxburgh); Symington (Roxburgh); Dickson (Roxburgh).

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Neill family of Hillsborough
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 June 06 10:11 BST (UK) »
Your in luck,  see familysearch.com for someone else doing your family history she is .   The first page I searched for Neill in Ireland had a Hillsborough, Co. Down entry

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

There could be much more on familysearch to seek out

Look up google for Ros Davies website
Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

More at Ros davies eg St Malachys Church of Ireland
Records available; baptisms from 1777, marriages from 1782; graveyard attached; gravestones Vol 18 UHF, oldest stone 1686; email me for a gravestone look-up; graveyard on Culcavy Hill see the rest of her pages

There are many more sources to look up eg Ulster Historical Foundation and www.caora.net
I think that a starter for you anyway,  Best regards Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Neill Knott

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Neill family of Hillsborough
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 April 21 04:51 BST (UK) »
It's been a long time since you posted.  Your Neill relatives arrived in Victoria in 1852 on the ship Marco Polo.  They eventually owned land outside Broadford ( Thomas and Abraham).  They ( Thomas? and Abraham ) also had land at Moulamein, NSW, by the late 1890s.  Abraham lost a son in WW1.  Thomas drowned at Moulamein in 1899.  There is much more. but I am not a family member.  There is more information on the Internet.