Author Topic: Ward of State  (Read 892 times)

Offline down-under

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Ward of State
« on: Thursday 27 April 06 17:58 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me where my friend could obtain records of her husband time as a state ward 50,s and 60,s. I believe he was fostered out a few times.

Thank you Pam

oakley, Leadbeater, Hemming, Jones, Pearsall, Page,------ Aston, Leominster, Balsall Heath, Tewkesbury, Kings Norton, Birmingham.

census information are crown copyright of www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ward of State
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 April 06 01:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam

Social Work has always been the responsibility of the Local Authority and Fostering would be under their remit.  When you know which authority it was then it should be possible to apply to them and hope they still have archives and archivist support. Its only recently that legislation was changed to insist that documentation relating to 'cared for' children was kept securely.
 Some places have had various boundary changes and name changes so it could become a little complicated.
If he was in a placement like a childrens home most (but not all!) were still within the boundary of the responsible Local Authority.
Hope this helps.

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline down-under

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ward of State
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 April 06 02:55 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Russell

Regards Pam
oakley, Leadbeater, Hemming, Jones, Pearsall, Page,------ Aston, Leominster, Balsall Heath, Tewkesbury, Kings Norton, Birmingham.

census information are crown copyright of www.nationalarchives.gov.uk