Author Topic: Am I being a wimp  (Read 7912 times)

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Am I being a wimp
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 October 04 15:27 BST (UK) »
Dinkey.  That's amazing.  I would try pushing your luck if I were you and getting to that cemetery!  ;)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 October 04 15:59 BST (UK) »
That's wonderful news Dinkey!   I'm sure you will get to the cemetery as well - do you think bribing would work?

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sal

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 October 04 16:11 BST (UK) »
hi dinkey
            i live in oldham, what part of oldham do you want to visit, if it helps i would come with you, the only day that i would be able to meet you would be on a sunday
                                         sue
Quirot - Jersey C/I, Lancashire
Gouyette - France, Jersey C/I
Hall - Northampton, Lancashire
Buckley - Oldham Lancashire - Saddleworth Yorkshire
Leeson - Northampton
Bisson - Jersey C/I
Eastwood - Oldham, Shaw, Royton, Middleton Lancashire
Mayall - Oldham Lancashire
Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jacquie

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 October 04 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Dinkey,

I think that is wonderful that you are going to see the house your mother was born in.   I think you should try and push your luck like Ticker said you never know they might say yes.  

The house my mother was born in is still standing, in fact I have a cousin who lives in it now.  About a year ago she contacted me and said she would take a photo of it, I am still waiting for the photo.  

I went to the big cemetery in Perth today about an hours drive from my house.  Again I dragged my son with me and this time my daughter.  My son moaned so much I almost buried him alive so he won't be coming with me again.  Lucky we had the plot numbers so we were able to take photos and write down the inscription quickly.

Regards Jacquie.
surnames researching:
Wolverhampton- Pearce Burt Crockett Cowley Dickinson Fisher Harris Spencer Owen
Dudley, Tipton, Brierley Hill - Fisher Cooper Pearson
Darlaston- Fisher

Norfolk- Pease Jewel Twite Holmstead Bird   Yorkshire- White Hawkin Pease
Kenilworth- Hammond

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 October 04 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hope you have lots of fun on your trip to Oldham Dinkey.

If you know the cemetery & dates of death/burial 0 why not contact the cemetery office & ask if they can give you details of the plot numbers.

In Tong cemetery in Bolton, I was given the plot number of the grave I wanted, plus a plan of the cemetery in the post with it marked.  Because it was my husnamd's grandfather's grave they even offered to meet us there and show us the location !

We didn't take them up on this offer as we didn't know for sure when we would be able to go over there.  In the event, the grave had no headstone - which was sad, but did save us hours of searching - it is a huge place !

~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 October 04 11:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you all for being so pleased for me about getting a visit to Oldham. I am not sure about dragging my mum round the cemetry for a number of reasons.

a) she is not good on her legs and these cemetries can cover quite an area.
b) although she is interested to know what I have unearthed (excuse the pun)  she does not want to know how I got the information.
c) as her cousin has very kindly offerred to take us I feel it might be a bit cheeky to ask if they will come with me looking at graves.

Anyway, the visit is not planned until the Spring when hopefully the weather will be more reliable.  The trouble with me is that I am too impatient and do not want to wait that long.

Sal

What a very kind offer to meet up with me in Oldham one Sunday. It is a great idea and I would love to meet you there. Unfortunately, I do not know whereabouts in Oldham my Travis family are buried.  I am trying to find when my ggrandparents James William & wife Hannah died . Their youngest son was born early 1900's. My grandmother married in 1923 and her father was deceased by then so I am looking for a time frame for James & Hannah between 1901 & 1923. have not found them on Free BMD.  The last address I have for them from the 1901 census is 71 Cowlishaw Lane Crompton Oldham.

If you or anyone can help in telling me where else I can try and find their deaths before I plan my trip to Oldham, I would be very grateful.

I realise that this request should probably be another posting but seeing as I have everyone's attention I thought I may as well ask here.

regards

dinkey

TRAVIS/ROCHDALE-OLDHAM-TODMORDEN-ASHTON-U-LYNE-BURY AREAS
DALTON/WIDNES- CHESHIRE-THORNTON-FLEETWOOD

Offline sal

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 20 October 04 09:04 BST (UK) »
hi dinkey
            i have been trying to make some enquires for you regarding your great grandparents, i have a friend who has been researching his family history who mostly lived in the shaw/crompton area of oldham, i will be in the chat room after 9.30 tonight see you there    sue
Quirot - Jersey C/I, Lancashire
Gouyette - France, Jersey C/I
Hall - Northampton, Lancashire
Buckley - Oldham Lancashire - Saddleworth Yorkshire
Leeson - Northampton
Bisson - Jersey C/I
Eastwood - Oldham, Shaw, Royton, Middleton Lancashire
Mayall - Oldham Lancashire
Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 20 October 04 19:55 BST (UK) »
a) she is not good on her legs and these cemetries can cover quite an area.

Buy one of those foldaway camping chairs.  Dave bought me one, it's got a strap so you can sling it over your shoulder.  They are very light and easy to carry.
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 20 October 04 21:03 BST (UK) »
Fitty

I presume you do not mean when my mum is sitting in it.

dinkey
TRAVIS/ROCHDALE-OLDHAM-TODMORDEN-ASHTON-U-LYNE-BURY AREAS
DALTON/WIDNES- CHESHIRE-THORNTON-FLEETWOOD