Author Topic: working on a huge file  (Read 2922 times)

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
Re: working on a huge file
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 April 06 16:03 BST (UK) »
If you drag an adjustment layer without an image, what you have is an adjustment but nothing for it to adjust.

That's what I thought was happening!! ;D

I think I understand now  - will try with another photo - all my restorations ones are the same type - just  "adjustment layers" - no other picture levels.

You have a good nights rest - and thanks again for the help.

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 May 06 00:30 BST (UK) »
Good morning Keith,
         I see that you are still on line.Do you  ever sleep? I t certainley looks as though that is what is happening. Why don't you do a mock up with a couple of picture layers and try it out?

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 May 06 00:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Denn,

Was going to do that - but never got the time today - was trying to drag my birthday out as long as possible - I think it is still my birthday in USA - does that count?? :o

Must go to bed shortly - but I know what you say will work - I am moving data not just part of a none existant image!

Does that mean I am not using layers properly - or is it that mostly I don't use the image in the same way?
I really just want to be able to change the colour of someone's eyes, without altering the rest - which I can do my way - but when it gets complicated like your 21st present I can see your way is far far better.

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 May 06 01:52 BST (UK) »
     Did you say Birthday? well many happy ones - a little belated but still there.

Yes Keith, if a method works then stick with it. Thinking adjustment layers though, dragging them from one pic' to another is still usefull. Lets say that you have 24 pics from the same roll of film and they all have a blue colour cast (or anything else for that matter). All you need do is to make an adjustment layer for the first one, then rather than try to adjust each of the remaining 23, you can drag the adjustment layer from the first to all the rest, thereby saving considerable time and effort.

By the way, 'tis Daughters 21st today and she is over the moon with the finished product.

Denn

Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 01 May 06 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Denn,

Sorry to take over your topic - but...

Glad your daughter loved her 21st birthday present - mine was 40 years ago - ohh dear!!!! I can see why she was over the moon from your cut down version - bet the full one was great.

Yes I have just been "messing around" with dragging things from one photo to another - never thought to do that - not quite sure of the reasons (other than you mention) but remember thinking the same when I was doing a tutorial on "fish, star & square" - it is only later you put it to good use.

Thanks again

Keith

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 May 06 10:32 BST (UK) »
I didn't think you had taken it over, anyhow it's my turn to ask a question - what on earth is "fish, star and square"?

Denn

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 01 May 06 10:43 BST (UK) »

It was one of those tutorials showing how you can inter act with different shapes and colours etc

Moving them about and overlapping and using the opacity etc.

I thought at the time - who wants to be able to overlap a star on a square!!??
But realised later that the same principles apply when you want to copy an "eye" from one photo to another and move/overlap it.

Right - better have a lie down now before the men with white coats come!

Keith

Has Bouncing Emails