Author Topic: Domonic Croak  (Read 9069 times)

Offline Ashleyann

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Domonic Croak
« on: Monday 01 May 06 06:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I'm looking for my 3rd Great Grandfather, Dominic Croak. He lived in New Park Lower, Kilkenny and I think he was born about 1790? Not sure of the exact date? He had a daughter by the name of Anastasia Croak born 27 Nov 1832 In Kilkenny, New Park. She is my 2nd  Great Grandmother and immigrated to the United States in about 1851 or 1852. She met John Robert King aboard ship bound for Australia. They were married on ship? But not sure. Anastasia worked in Bristol England in a Cotton Mill to earn her passage money.
    John Robert King and Anastasia lived in San Jose California when arriving in the United States. They lived with John Robert Kings brother, Austris King.
     I have very little information on Dominic Croak and no information on his wife, Anastasia's mother. No information on any siblings either.
      Anastasia and John Robert king had five children and moved to northern California, Siskiyou county, town of Yreka in about the 1860"s ? They both are buried in Yreka California.
      I would love to find some information on my Irish Roots.

Many thanks, Ashleyann

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Domonic Croak
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 20:21 BST (UK) »
had a look to see what I can find on your Croak family very few in Killkenny .found this marriage a lot later than what you are looking for but it might help with the area to look

HANDCOCK, William         
   to   Anasticia CROAKE      
   on   30 Sep 1852   at   Patricks, Kilkenny, Ireland

Husband's Fath.   John HANDCOCK
   Wife's Fath.   Michael CROAKE

audrey

Offline Ashleyann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 May 06 03:15 BST (UK) »
:) Hi Audrey,
       Thanks for the look up and for the information! I need all the help that I can get. It has been difficult finding any thing on Domonic Croak in Kilkenny, except for the Griffiths Evaluation! I have found nothing on his daughter(my Gr,Gr Grandmother)Anastasia Croak. She may have also used the name, Ann or Elizabeth?? Her mothers maiden name is not on her death certificate. It states, mothers maiden name "unknown"  That seems really odd? Her fathers name in the only name on her death certificate.
        Well, thanks for your assistance! I really appreciate your help and information.

Best regards, Ashleyann

Offline rwosgood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 April 15 16:12 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother was Ellen Croak who was was born in Ballasallgh, Kilkenny in 1828 and she married James Dunne and they lived in Johnswell, Kilkenny.  James emigrated to the US in 1848 and Ellen followed with their infant daughter, Mary, in 1849.  Several years ago my family received a message from Éamonn Ó Hógáin regarding the Croak family.  Eamonn is a descendent of Canon William Carrigan who wrote the four vol. "History and Antiquities of Ossory"  Among Canon Carrigan's papers, held at St. Kieran's College in Kilkenny, was the following information on the Croak family.

John "Jack" Croak (1743-1824) came from Killaloe, Kilkenny and met "made his match" Judith "Judy" Brenan, daughter of Darby Brenan (1707-1785).   "On his marriage Jack settled on a substantial farm in Kilmogar. However, through the machinations of a certain Christopher Byrne of Ballyfoyle and of his descendants, Jack was stripped of all of his land and he was left with only "Tom Ronans farm rent free for life"".

"Jack Croke's eldest son was Michael, then John (Sea/n) and Doiminic. Jack Croke and his wife are buried in Rathcoole".

"He appears in the census of 1821 as follows:

Parish of Clara, Kilmogar

John Croak farmer 78 20 acres

John Ronan son-in-law 40

Anty Ronan his daughter 40

Anty Ronan gr dr 13

Judith Ronan gr dr 10

Thomas Ronan gr son 9

James Ronan gr son under 1"

"Another daughter of his, Brigid (1791-?) , was the grandmother of Canon Willie Carrigan, Ruthstown, the historian. Brigid Croke married John Carrigan/Corrogan (1786--1825) on 12.8.1805, their son James (1817-97) married Johanna Brenan (1816-82), Kilfarney, Ballyfoyle, one of whose sons was Canon Willie Carrigan".

Jack's 2nd son, John Croak was my great great grandfather.  He married Bridget Croake 18 Feb 1822 in St. John's Parish.  The address of both was given Ballysalla(Ballasallagh).

Jack's 3rd son was Dominic Croak.  I am unable to find a baptism record for Dominic.  He marrried Mary Ronan 3 Jun 1810 in St. John's Parish.  No address was recorded for either.  The sponsors were James Hawe and Kieran Ronan.

Dominic and Mary had 10 children:
     John bp. 5 Mar 1809?, St. John's Parish
     Michael bp. 28 May 1812, St. John's Parish, Ballasallagh
     Thomas bp. 21 Sep 1814, St. John's Parish, Ballasallagh
     Bridget bp. 9 Feb 1817, St, John's Parish, Ballasallagh
     Judith bp. 14 Mar 1819, St. John's Parish, Ballasallagh
     John bp. 15 Jun 1822, St. John's Parish, Ballasallagh
     Patrick bp. 4 Apr 1825, St. Johns Parish
     Anstice bp 15 Nov 1827, St. John's Parish, Kilmagar, Sponsors: Thomas Croak and Margaret
            Byrne.  Anstice is another name for Anastatia.
     Mary bp 15 Mar 1830, St. John's Parish, Kilmagar
     Patrick, bp 19 May 1833, St. John's Parish, Ballasallgh 

I suspect that Anstice Croake is your Anastatia Croak. There are marriage records for many croaks but the parents are usually not recorded so that I am not able to associate the record with any of the above children.

Have you taken a DNA test?

Hope this helps.

Bob Osgood   

Offline Ashleyann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 01:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,
  This is Sandra Cheyne (maiden name)I just want to thank you for the wonderful information on the Croak family! I have been trying to find relatives of mine for some time. You made my day! We must be related somewhere here?? Anastatia Croak King was my 3rd great grandmother. She married John Robert King in New South Wales Australia in around 1850. They came to the U.S in about 1852 and lived in San Jose California for a time and ended up in Yreka California. My 4th great grandfather is Doiminic Croak.I'm not sure whether he stayed in Ireland or moved to Australia. I don't think he came to the U.S
   Well, thank so much for the information. I have not had the DNA test yet but plan on have it this June! My birthday present to myself!  :) Thanks, Sandy  Feel free to stay in touch

Offline John Bradshaw

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 September 15 18:44 BST (UK) »
My Great Great Grandfather was Michael Croake.  I think the same one, as the year of birth is correct, he was from Kilkenny and his father was called Dominic.  Didn't know about Jack, so thanks. Michael left Ireland during the potato famine and travelled via Liverpool to London where he worked as a tailor, just off The Strand.  He met his wife Jane, a children's nurse, in St James' Park and they married in 1848. They had 10 children. Their oldest Maria emigrated to Australia. The 2nd John was an actor but died relatively young. The third Jane had 20 children, many of whom died young or in the war. Thomas was a singer, including in Italian operas at Covent Garden. Lucy died age 7. Catherine was my Great Grandmother. George was in the King's African Rifles in Africa for seven years. Leonard died aged 12. Gertie died in childbirth during WW1. Bertie was in WW1 and suffered post traumatic shock after it. All of the boys worked in Michael's tailoring business at one time or another, except Bertie. Stephen remained a tailor all his life. George eventually sailed to Australia too, before returning, joining the army, and then becoming a Jesuit father at Westminster Cathedral for forty years. Michael died around 1895 in The Strand. I've seen various spellings of Croake - also Croke and Croak. Interested to hear of any other connections.

Offline rwosgood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 September 15 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi John, what a pleasant surprise to find another connection to the Croaks.  My name is Bob Osgood and I posted the information on Jack Croak from Éamonn Ó Hógáin.  Dominic is my great great grand uncle and brother to my great great grandfather John Croak.  I do have more information on the Croaks.  Are you on Ancestry.com?  If so I can send an invitation  to view my tree it is private.  Have you done any DNA testing?  We have a pr oven match between Dominic's 4th great granddaughter Sandra Cheyne and my mother and my uncle.  Sandy is the 3rd great granddaughter of Dominic daughter Anstice Croak.  You can contact me at (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline SaraJane1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 May 17 08:42 BST (UK) »
My Great Great Grandfather was Michael Croake.  I think the same one, as the year of birth is correct, he was from Kilkenny and his father was called Dominic.  Didn't know about Jack, so thanks. Michael left Ireland during the potato famine and travelled via Liverpool to London where he worked as a tailor, just off The Strand.  He met his wife Jane, a children's nurse, in St James' Park and they married in 1848. They had 10 children. Their oldest Maria emigrated to Australia. The 2nd John was an actor but died relatively young. The third Jane had 20 children, many of whom died young or in the war. Thomas was a singer, including in Italian operas at Covent Garden. Lucy died age 7. Catherine was my Great Grandmother. George was in the King's African Rifles in Africa for seven years. Leonard died aged 12. Gertie died in childbirth during WW1. Bertie was in WW1 and suffered post traumatic shock after it. All of the boys worked in Michael's tailoring business at one time or another, except Bertie. Stephen remained a tailor all his life. George eventually sailed to Australia too, before returning, joining the army, and then becoming a Jesuit father at Westminster Cathedral for forty years. Michael died around 1895 in The Strand. I've seen various spellings of Croake - also Croke and Croak. Interested to hear of any other connections.

So delighted to see this information. It really brings a new dimension to my family tree. Stephen mentioned in this post is my great grandfather. My grandfather was his only son Raymond, who was a jeweller and silversmith.
Didn't know about Bertie. I have some wonderful newspaper cuttings of George, who was known as The Green Man at Westminster Cathedral. My late father Don was said by George to be the spitting image of Stephen Croke (Crook) when he visited him as a young boy.
Hop Lane where Michael lived with all those children is still in existence and is so tiny!
One puzzling thing is that when Michael came over from Ireland he arrived with his daughter Maria (b1838). What happened end to his first wife? We're there other children?
Be grateful for any further information.
Many thanks
Sara Jane Crooke

Offline Scottsdale

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 January 19 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi All   Have just come across this site and chats. I am Jack (John) Musgrove. My Grandmother was Alice Crook, daughter of Charles Croke/Crook, son of Michael Croake, son of Dominick. On a recent trip to UK, I visited the Islington & St. Pancras cemetery in E. Finchley. Three Crooks, and one Musgrove are buried there, which includes Charles ‘Dominio’ Crook. My Gt. G’father was a professional vocalist. I was always led to believe they were a well to do Catholic family, but found all four were buried in communal graves, Charles with 8 other people. I only knew of him as Charles, until I found the burial, with Dominio added. Seeing Michaels father, ‘Dominick’ leads to believing that this is where the name comes from. (Spelling errors maybe) Michael is listed on the 1871 census as Croake, yet his wife and kids are Croak. Charles’ marriage cert. is Croke, but on my G’mothers birth it’s Crook. We initially thought, as a professional vocalist, Croke wasn’t a good name, and he’d changed it to Crook, but don’t believe that now.