Author Topic: Thomas (Parish) Stokes 1872 - after 1930  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Thomas (Parish) Stokes 1872 - after 1930
« on: Monday 01 May 06 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm trying to find anything on Thomas Stokes (and his descendants) who was the first son of my grt grandmother Elizabeth Stokes before she married Henry Roberts.
Tom Stokes was born in Chirk, Denbighshire and lived with his grandparents until about 1889 when his grandmother died. he then moved in with his mother, her husband and step-siblings. My Dad said that they all referred to him as Tom Stokes. He married a Sarah Evans and lived in Chirk until after 1901 when he must have moved to the West Yorkshire coalfied - probably Normanton.
All I have on him after 1901 is from the obituary of his mother in Sept 1930. A wreath  'In memory of dear mother from Tom, Susie and family, Yorkshire'.
I have searched for deaths in the NBI but can't find any and a search of the GRO index would be mamouth.

I'd be grateful for any leads

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline niclindop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas (Parish) Stokes 1872 - after 1930
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 February 21 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have just started to continue my research and come across your post from almost 15 years ago, so am hoping you will see this message and we can help one another and anyone else researching similar lines.
Thomas Parish Stokes was my great great grandad born on 5th August 1872 in Chirk. His mum was Elizabeth Stokes , but his father is unnamed on his birth certificate and I believe he was brought up by his grandparents John and Caroline Stokes.  He married Sarah Jane Evans and did move to Normanton, west Yorkshire, as you thought. He had a son Dennis in 1902 and and then Donald (my great grandad) in 1904 both born in Chirk. They must have moved to Normanton soon after and then George(1906) Norman (1909) Marion (1911) and Ethel (1913) were all born in Normanton.
My grandma Lilian Griffiths ( Nee Stokes) 1926 didn't really know much about her grandad Thomas / Tom. I have been trying to figure out whether there was a chance that Thomas' father could actually have been Henry but from before they married or not. It's lovely to know that he did move in with his mother at one point as I have wondered how he fit in with the larger family she went on to have.
I really hope that we will be able to exchange further information.
Thanks

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 February 21 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have replied to your PM with more info.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 February 21 14:38 GMT (UK) »
In the meantime, here is a small photo of the family. Your Thomas is back centre.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 February 21 14:47 GMT (UK) »
And his mother in the 1920s.  I did extensive restores on both of the original photos and they now seem to be in quite a few people's trees on Ancestry  :)

I have the larger ones, if you'd like them.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 February 21 14:59 GMT (UK) »
PS - I forgot to mention that I did find his death -  24th Feb 1939,  Lower Agbrigg

Offline JezMcCann

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 March 22 13:25 GMT (UK) »
I'm related to Caroline Caroline Parish

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 March 22 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Welcome 3rd cousin

I know you are  ;D

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 March 22 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Ps

Since this was started in 2006, I think I have most of the available info on Thomas , his wife, children and their children and......