Author Topic: Northumberland Fusiliers  (Read 16038 times)

Offline Tessy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Northumberland Fusiliers
« on: Tuesday 02 May 06 20:22 BST (UK) »
I've just posted a photo of a group of the 19th battalion Northumberland Fusiliers taken in France during WW1on the photo restoration site on rootschat. If you have any connections please take a look. I would love to know the names of the people in it. My grandfather is the sergeant on the left of the photo. :)

Offline SallyF

• RootsChat Senior
  • My mum and big brother
    • View Profile
Re: Northumberland Fusiliers
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 May 06 15:44 BST (UK) »
I have a relative called William Steel who was in the Northumberland Fusiliers at this time.  Have no way of recognising him though, sadly, no photo's of him survive that I know of.

I have added a link to the posting on the photo restoration site if anyone else wants a look.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,153230.0.html

Sally
Foreman, McAlpine, Bainbridge - Northumberland
White, Keeley, Golding - Suffolk
Johnson - Staffordshire
Wild, Green, Cusworth - Yorkshire (West Riding)

Offline ele

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 May 06 09:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tessy, I will take a look and hopefully I can find a Battalion number.

SallyF, do you know what regiment your William Steel was in?

My G.Grandad, a Francis McGurk was a Northumberland Fusilier also, with regiment number 17197, 1915-1918.

Thanks, Ele.
McQuade. Co Monaghan Ireland>Glasgow Scotland.
McGurk. Belfast Ireland>Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Chappell. Bristol.
Nichol(l)s. Bristol.

This information is crown copy copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Fraser. Inverness Scotland>London.
Coulson. London.
Phil(l)ips. Glasgow Scotland.

Offline SallyF

• RootsChat Senior
  • My mum and big brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 May 06 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Ele,

Sorry for taking so long to reply, been a busy week!!

William Steel was in the 23rd (Tyneside Scottish) Battalion.  His service number was 23/772 and he died on 01/07/1916.

We know his memorial is at Thiepval and my husband and son hope to visit in August this year when they go to France for a few days.

Sally

Foreman, McAlpine, Bainbridge - Northumberland
White, Keeley, Golding - Suffolk
Johnson - Staffordshire
Wild, Green, Cusworth - Yorkshire (West Riding)

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 May 06 02:15 BST (UK) »
John Clazey was a member. There is a photograph I have with him in his full uniform. There is a bit of history with this family and World War I...they had an estate in Forfar...rumors abounded at the time that these were German sympathizers. They also had very close ties with Lord Londonderry...and there is a bit of history there as well.  Forfar was sold...after WWI...

sharon
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline Tessy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 May 06 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Clazey

My interest is the 19th Battalion NF. I cannot find your John Clazey in lists of officers and men in the Battalion historical records, so I presume he was with another battalion. If you go to this WW1 site you may find people able to help you find out more about your ancestor.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50464

Tessy

Offline zephyr55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 May 06 03:53 BST (UK) »
Hi not relavent to 19 th Battalion but here is some info that my mothers cousins son has collated about our great grandfather

Offline zephyr55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 May 06 03:55 BST (UK) »
Its about the above forgot to put link in www.4thbnf.com

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 May 06 13:06 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the Gazateer web site.  I found John Oswald Clazey beginning in 1915 and I found him with the 3rd Northumbrian Brigade.  Then in 1917 he was with the Durham Volunteer Regiment, 2nd Bn.  I will have to do more digging to see if he saw active duty. But, it dispells where we thought he was!  What I am curious about is that he was a Lieut. Colonel (temporary) and then promoted to temporary major and when he resigned his commission in 1919 for reasons of ill health, he was allowed to keep the honorary rank of major.

I also found the following:  Frederick Oswald Clazey, Durham Light Infantry 2 April 1940 and I know that he died.  Charles Clazey Broadbelt, 21 st April 1941.  Charles was one son of Eleanor or Ellen Craig Clazey and William Broadbelt, one of my great grandfather's sisters.  Frederick was the son of John Clazey, Jr.

Many, many thanks...now I can look around to see if any of the Broadbelt line survive today!!

Sharon   
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.