Author Topic: Northumberland Fusiliers  (Read 16060 times)

Offline fordy2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Your Old Books & Maps
    • View Profile
Re: Northumberland Fusiliers
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 June 06 09:04 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the Gazateer web site.  I found John Oswald Clazey beginning in 1915 and I found him with the 3rd Northumbrian Brigade.  Then in 1917 he was with the Durham Volunteer Regiment, 2nd Bn.  I will have to do more digging to see if he saw active duty. But, it dispells where we thought he was!  What I am curious about is that he was a Lieut. Colonel (temporary) and then promoted to temporary major and when he resigned his commission in 1919 for reasons of ill health, he was allowed to keep the honorary rank of major.

I also found the following:  Frederick Oswald Clazey, Durham Light Infantry 2 April 1940 and I know that he died.  Charles Clazey Broadbelt, 21 st April 1941.  Charles was one son of Eleanor or Ellen Craig Clazey and William Broadbelt, one of my great grandfather's sisters.  Frederick was the son of John Clazey, Jr.

Many, many thanks...now I can look around to see if any of the Broadbelt line survive today!!

Sharon   

J. O. Clazey is listed in the Army List 1915 [January] .. Don't know if this adds anything to what you already have...

David Ford

David Ford
Your Old Books & Maps
http://www.youroldbooksandmaps.co.uk
Old books, Military Lists & Maps on CD

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 June 06 13:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the copy and it explains quite a bit!  J.O. Clazey's father (also John Oswald Clazey) was a business associate and friend of Lord Londonderry.  From what I have gathered, he was a bit of a spoiled brat.  The ranks he held were listed as temporary and I have wondered what qualified him for those.  I have a photograph of him in his uniform...quite dashing!

Sharon
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline samantha zoe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 November 06 15:44 GMT (UK) »
dose any one know how i can get info on1st /6th battalion of the northumberland fusiliers for 1918 I'm look for more info on a fedrick Edward hollowell  born 1899 in brafiled northants but joined the northumberland fusiliers and died in 1918  in France  his no 75601  i found his burial in the war graves
Bedford:wildman
bucks:longhurst
northant:hollowell, tansley
London:Clark or clarker
othernames:cook, voss

Offline Tessy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 November 06 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Samantha

Click on the invisionzone web site I mention earlier in this thread. You will find people on that forum who will help you in your search

Tessy

Offline samantha zoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 November 06 10:43 GMT (UK) »
ok tessy thanks for that
sam
Bedford:wildman
bucks:longhurst
northant:hollowell, tansley
London:Clark or clarker
othernames:cook, voss

Offline Bishop Aukland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 February 12 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tessy, I've just joined the site. My grandfather was Private Robert Hopper, of the 19th NF. His service number was 19-1359, which is the number on his military medal. He actually came from Bishop Aukland I think, at least that's where my dad came from.

However, I don't know what he did to get the MM, other than a vague story about rescuing his officer when under fire. No mention of the battle, or when or where ....

He did eventually lose an arm, not apparently in the above incident, and I assume that got him back alive.

Do you have him in your book?

Regards

B.A.

Offline Peterhastie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 February 12 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Available on CD

http://www.genealogysupplies.com/product_display.php?prodid=5778

Cpl R Hopper (MM) to UK, Wounded 25,10,1918

The Historical records has them between 20/10 and 27/10/1918 and says

Companies worked on road which approached pontoon bridges over the river Lys
in the vicinity of Marcke and Bisseghem. On the 25th "Y" moved to Sweveghem and commenced repair of the Sweveghe-Kreupel road.

Their is only mention of nine killed and sixteen wounded on the 20th. "Y" Company, when returning from work, a 4.2 shell llanded in the middle of a platoon. This may have been when he was wounded.

Two other hoppers in the 19th, pte A G Hopper and Sgt J F Hopper, MID, to UK for commision 13,10,1917

Offline Bishop Aukland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 February 12 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Peterhastie. That is very interesting. It means he only lost about a fortnight of the war!

Some say the politicians and Generals had already agreed the armistice, but let the war go on to the symbolic 11/11 date. If so, Lloyd George and Haig cost my grandad his arm, and could have been his life.

However, I still don't know what he got his MM for, or when or where. I only ask now because my mum has just died and I have come into possession of the medal.

Does that CD have such information on it?

Regards

BA

Offline Peterhastie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 05 February 12 16:29 GMT (UK) »

There is no further reference to him in the book.

Awarded MM 

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/30287/supplements/9608

I assume the Hanwick refers to Hunwick which is near Bishop Auckland.

Do you have a photo of him.