Author Topic: Who Can Solve The Mystery Of Herbert Bevington?  (Read 7674 times)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Who Can Solve The Mystery Of Herbert Bevington?
« on: Thursday 04 May 06 19:25 BST (UK) »
The 1861 Census for Hanley shows the Household of my Greatx2-Grandparents William and Harriet(Nee Mountford)Cartlidge as;
William Cartlidge Head born 1830 Hanley.
Harriet,Wife born 1830 Hanley.
Sarah Ann Mountford Daughter born 1852 Hanley.
Joseph Cartlidge Son born 1854 Hanley.
Edna Cartlidge Daughter born 1857 Hanley.
Eliza Bevington Boarder born 1832 Hanley.
Jonathan Bevington Son born 1860 Hanley.
The Eliza Bevington was before she married Eliza Mountford,the sister of Harriet.Staffordshire BMD shows the Marriage at Shelton St Mark in 1854 of a Herbert Bevington and an Eliza Mountford.However despite extensive searching,I have yet to see this Herbert Bevington on any Census,or find a death for him.There was one Herbert Bevington born in Hanley in c 1832,the son of a Charles Bevington born in Hanley in c 1805,but he was married to an Alice from Yorkshire in c 1851,and still married to her in 1881,when his Father Charles was staying with him.So can anyone point me in the direction of the Herbert Bevington who married Eliza in 1854?

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who Can Solve The Mystery Of Herbert Bevington?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 May 06 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi  Wrjones.   Iv'e just had a look in staffordshirebmd,they have Eliza Mountford marrying a Herbert "Bebbington" at St Marks,Shelton,1854. Geraldine
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 May 06 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Wrjones,..back again,have you seen this,LDS census, under the International Genealogical British Index bit,it reads Herbert Bevington.born16 Jan 1832.Christened 5 Feb,at the Bethesda chapel, in Hanley.geraldine
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 May 06 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hi William (and Geraldine)

It also says Eliza Bevington unmarried in 1861... and there is one, still unmarried, in 1870, housekeeper of Peter Bates (a potter), widower, who has children Jonathan B Bates age 11 born Hanley and Ernest B Bates age 2 b. Hanley.

Are you absolutely sure this Eliza was Eliza Mountford?

Tanja  :)   
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 May 06 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Tati ,yes it is Eliza Mountford, and Iv'e just posted my reply somewhere else ,with Eliza spelled wrong."Doh".geraldine.

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 May 06 19:08 BST (UK) »
This is mysterious. I see she's Eliza Bevington (now married) in 1891, lodger, Housekeeper to Peter Bates.

Don't know whether you have seen this:
RG13/2604 156 7
29 Snow Hill Hanley

Jonathan Bevington, head, 41, Potters presser, b. Hanley
Mary, wife, 39, b. do.
Alice, dau, 13, b. do.
Florrie, dau, 7, b. do.
Lizzie, dau, 3, b. do.
Peter Bates, boarder, s, 74, Potters Turner, b. do.

In 1891, he'a already living with Jonathan, widower, father.

This doesn't help with M. Bevington, does it? I can't see a match for him!

Have you trawled through the complete death indexes to find his death, or did you only search FreeBMD?

You might ask for a specific look-up of this marriage in case somebody has access to PRs for Shelton St Mark  ???     

I'm afraid of no ghost

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 May 06 20:40 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to Geraldine and Tati for their useful replies.I had noted the differing entries in the census as to eliza marital status,and also the later 1901 Census Entry for Jonathan Bevington.I have not yet entered the details for Jonathan in my Tree,as I am always wary if the info is not entirely straightforward!Many thanks Tati for suggesting a request for a Look Up at Shelton St Mark.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 May 06 20:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Wrjones,..back again,have you seen this,LDS census, under the International Genealogical British Index bit,it reads Herbert Bevington.born16 Jan 1832.Christened 5 Feb,at the Bethesda chapel, in Hanley.geraldine
Yes Geraldine I had seen the entry on the LDS Site,unfortunately it is the Herbert Bevington who is the son of Charles Bevington,and who married the Alice from Yorkshire.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 May 06 20:55 BST (UK) »
Did you really find Herbert in 1851 with Alice? (I can't see them for now)

I see a marriage in Stockton, Dec 1857:
Herbert Bevington - Alice Roch

Could this be his second marriage after all, after separating from Eliza?

I'm afraid of no ghost