Author Topic: Parish record - Kilaveney  (Read 36463 times)

Offline Seattle

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Parish record - Kilaveney
« on: Thursday 04 May 06 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hello to all,

I've just been given a new lead as to where in Wicklow, my great grandmother, Ann Rogan, was born about 1821.  I know her parents were Hugh and Isabella Rogan and she married in the Catholic Chapel in Dukinfield, Cheshire, England.

As I live in the States and can't visit a Family History Centre, can anyone advise me on how to find a Catholic birth record?  I've checked the LDS site and can't seem to find anything.  Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place or way.  From a Google search, I see there is a St. Kevin's in Kilaveney, Tinahely.  Would it be appropriate to write directly to the church?  Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
Seattle
Radnorshire - Morris, Mills, Vaughan, Crowther
Glamorgan - Thomas
Pembroke - Thomas
Sussex - Rogers
Lancashire - Ormerod, Shields, Bentley
Cumberland - Shields

Offline saddles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish record - Kilaveney
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 May 06 02:10 BST (UK) »
Hello.

The Griffiths Valuation Index (1847-1864) shows Hugh Rogan in
the parish of Kilpipe, which is/was a church of ireland parish,
with dates of records from 1828 (baptisms)

The diocese/parish of Killaveney/Annacurragh (RC) have records
of baptisms from 1800 and marriages from 1801.

However it is unlikely these days that you can deal direct with
parish priests as they were inundated with requests since the
advent of the internet, most will now refer you to the county
heritage centre for a fee based search.

You should also consider that the majority of events were
recorded in the spouse/mothers parish which may not be the
same as that of the husband/father, as is the case with Hugh
Rogan.

The bottom line is you can try the parish in writing but expect
either no reply or a referal to the heritage centre.

Or try via this website:
http://www.wicklow.ie/Genealogy/index.html

Good luck.

Mike.
Townson - Cartmel                      O'Malley - Askeaton, Ireland
Sadler - Dymock & Salford           Tomlinson - St Peters, Leeds
Wilkinson - Salford                      Chant - Sherbourne, Dorset
Garner - Pendleton

Offline Seattle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 May 06 03:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,

Thanks so much for the reply.  I had a feeling that writing to the church would be unfruitful!  As you say, there are so many of us looking these days!  This is my first venture into Irish research, so I have a lot to learn.  I agree that the best approach is probably through the county heritage centre.  However, I was hoping to pin down her birthplace first.  It was given as Dublin in the 1881 Census, but the parish record at the time of her marriage in 1841, says her parents resided in Killaveney, Wicklow.  Of course, that doesn't mean that Ann was born there!  I thought it was worth checking out though.

Is Ireland the same as the U.K., in that births prior to 1837 were only recorded in the parish records?  I'm assuming there is no central location for all Irish births around 1821, but maybe I'm wrong.

Hugh Rogan was listed as a stonemason on Ann's marriage certificate.  Is the Hugh Rogan you found in Griffiths Valuation, a stonemason, by any chance?

Once again, many thanks,
Sharon
Glamorgan - Thomas
Pembroke - Thomas
Sussex - Rogers
Cumberland - Shields

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 May 06 03:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Sharon,

Irish Births are only avialable from 1864 prior to that its only Parish Records.

Tinahealy Parish has 2 Churches, one St Kevins is the one that covers Kilaveney

St. Kevin
Kilaveney,
Tinahealy
Co. Wicklow

It may be worth writing to the Parish Priest ( I don't have his name) but they are usually helpful

Best wishes

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline Seattle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 May 06 04:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Mo,

Oddly enough, I did find a listing earlier today for St. Kevin's with the parish priests name.  If all else fails, I will try writing or e-mailing him.  All he can say is no!

Many thanks,
Sharon
Glamorgan - Thomas
Pembroke - Thomas
Sussex - Rogers
Cumberland - Shields

Offline Cleary

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 22:49 BST (UK) »
Dear Seatle,
Two years ago I visited St Kevin's of Kilaveny, Tinahely, County Wicklow, Ireland.  I have an elderly cousin who lives in Tinahely who showed the gravesites of my ancestor's in the parish graveyards.  The parish has a dwindling and elderly congregation and there is only one priest.  The parish records are kept in the town library in Tinahely, the small town about three km down the road.  Most of the gravestones are in need of restoration.  The gravestones themselves contain the family lineage of the person buried. Your best bet is to call the library personally as I don't think they have a website.

Thanks,
Cleary in Florida

Hello to all,

I've just been given a new lead as to where in Wicklow, my great grandmother, Ann Rogan, was born about 1821.  I know her parents were Hugh and Isabella Rogan and she married in the Catholic Chapel in Dukinfield, Cheshire, England.

As I live in the States and can't visit a Family History Centre, can anyone advise me on how to find a Catholic birth record?  I've checked the LDS site and can't seem to find anything.  Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place or way.  From a Google search, I see there is a St. Kevin's in Kilaveney, Tinahely.  Would it be appropriate to write directly to the church?  Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
Seattle

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 22:57 BST (UK) »
Catholic baptism records for Co. Wicklow are included in the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation at www.irish-roots.ie

It might be worth checking their list of sources to see if they have any details for the parish you are interested in. The records they provide are as transcripts, and each cost 5 Euro to view.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Seattle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 21:52 BST (UK) »
Dear Cleary and Shane,

Thank you both so much for the new information! I had about given up on this branch of my family.  Now, I'll have another go.

Once again, many thanks.
Sharon in Seattle
Glamorgan - Thomas
Pembroke - Thomas
Sussex - Rogers
Cumberland - Shields

Offline Glencoe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,

I have a lead to my Kilty ancestors in County Wicklow, I wondered if anyone had any luck with searching the records or Gravestone inscriptions, if so how do I go about finding information on any of this.

As the 1901 census is now available for Ireland, this info I received has been confirmed on this census, as follows:  John Kilty, Bridget, Wife, Children are: Thomas, John, Catherine, Edward, James, Charles, Jane, Hugh, Andrew.

Townland:Kilpoole Lower / Poor Law union: Rathdrum / Barony: Arklow / District: Wicklow Lower

Some members of the Kilty family came to Wigtownshire Scotland around 1790, first marriage in Scotland that I can find for my ancestors is in 1802 Stoneykirk Wigtownshire.

Any help will be very much appreciated.