Author Topic: Parish record - Kilaveney  (Read 36474 times)

Offline Glencoe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish record - Kilaveney
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 24 June 10 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Betty,
I was talking to a John Kiltie just the other day, (yet another spelling of this name) he contacted me through another relative, and as usual we discovered that we are from the same folk.  He had been told the that we all originated in, of all places Norway? how crazy is that! 
We definitely started off in either Ireland or Scotland, but the Scotland thing would have been early 1700's, that would mean I would have to do the trace via here.  Not a problem with certs starting in the 1500's via www.scotlandspeople.gov, only thing is, once I trace them here, I would then be up against the same problem, linking them to Ireland and then back to Scotland.
An Irish comedian Patrick Keilty discovered that his ancestors did in fact originate in Scotland, but then he had the backing of professional genealogists, paid for by the television company who were doing the program "Who do you think you are"
Betty can you please give me some dates for these folks, birth etc. with all my earliest certs having "birth place, Ireland" on them, and allowing for some exaggeration of their ages I have Barnard born 1769-76 and the same era for his brothers Thomas, Robert, John, James etc.
Hopefully I will hear something from the Heritage Center soon that will link these folk, their records go back to just before 1800, so with any luck Betty, they may just say born in Scotland, and then I can find them, and all their certs from here, and send you this info, and to be able to send you the authentic cert from Edinburgh I would give you my email address, do you know of any safe way of doing this? Perhaps this site could suggest something?
Linda

Offline wexfordgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 03:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Glencoe, sorry for not writing sooner, i am a bit confused with this new format here but have been ill.
Will look around here to-morrow and try and find my feet again.
Regards,
Wexford

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 08:19 BST (UK) »
... I would give you my email address, do you know of any safe way of doing this? Perhaps this site could suggest something?

The PM (personal message) system is used here to exchange email addresses and other information that is not allowed to be posted on the boards. It's all explained in the help pages-
www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline SanTelmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Seattle,

Just a bit of info on Killaveney:

The RC Church was built around 1847.  You can find some of the graveyard listings here:
http://www.interment.net/data/ireland/wicklow/stkevin/kevin.htm.

There are no Rogans in that list, but it is not a complete listing.  I could see an Anne Rogan born 1822 in Co. Wicklow on the www.brsgenealogy.com site, but as another member mentioned you would need to pay €5 to see the results.

I know Fr Gahan, the parish priest for Killaveney has all the records and for a donation he would be able to check the records for you; but as you already know Anne Rogan's parents' names and the church records for Killaveney only go back to 1800, you may not find much new info.

Prior to 1847 a catholic living in the Kilpipe area may have been buried in the old Whitefield graveyard.  Unfortunaetly most gravestones in that graveyard are illegible now.

If you need to check Church of Ireland records then the local church is Kilcommon.  There was also an old COI church in Kilpipe.

My parents are based in Tinahely and I will be going back this weekend.  We have a book with a full listing for Killaveney graveyard, so I can check that for Rogans if you like.

Hope this helps,

Shane

Offline Glencoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,
Sorry about this, it's the Kity/Kelty family I'm looking into, Barnard Kilty born about 1769-75.  Father: Bryon Kilty  Mother: Margaret Kilty nee Courtney. 
This is the info on Barnard's death cert.  This info was given by Barnard's third wife, Sarah, and as she didn't know the ages of his children, I'm not too sure about his Father and Mother's forenames. 
His brother's are Robert, John, William, Hugh, Alexander, Thomas etc. and they came to Scotland around the late 1700-early1800's.  First marriage I can find so far is in 1802 Wigtownshire Scotland, just a small distance from Ireland. 
They were mostly agricultural folk, but Barnard was a Flax Dresser by trade.
I would very much appreciate it if you could have a look for them, and I'd be all to willing to contact Father Gahan, a donation would not be a problem! Can you give me an address for him?
Linda

Offline SanTelmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda,

Sorry, I was trying to reply to the original poster on this thread.  It looks like your ancestors were from the Arklow parish so I don't think you'd be able to find anything from Killaveney.

I would recommend doing a search on www.brsgenealogy.com (you'd need to register first) to see if you can find your ancestors there.

Good luck with your research!

Shane

Offline Glencoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Thanks so much for that!, I'll do this right away and let you know how I get on.

Linda

Offline SanTelmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda,

No problems.  I took a quick look out of interest and can see that the site shows 9 Kiltys and 6 Kieltys born in Co. Wicklow.  The furthest back is Anne Kilty born in 1769.

Unfortunately I don't know that area of Wicklow very well, so if you can't find the answers from the birth records then it might be a good idea to contact the Wicklow Family History Centre: http://www.wicklow.ie/familyhistorycentre/.  They should be able to point you in the right direction.

All the best,

Shane

Offline Glencoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane.
Did just that about two weeks ago, the woman I am in touch with at the center was going on Holiday, but said she would have a look for me, waiting to hear from her.
Ann Kilty would have been born around the same time as my grandfather, in fact almost exact dates.
Think I'll send another email with your findings to her.
Thanks Shane