Author Topic: Orr family from Lurgan  (Read 18893 times)

Offline MargaretJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Orr family from Lurgan
« on: Friday 05 May 06 21:26 BST (UK) »
My grandparents were James Orr and Margaret Foye. They married in Lurgan on 23 July 1919 and one of the witnesses was GEORGE ORR.  Does anyone know anything about him?  My mother cannot recall an uncle George but he must be related in some way.
The Orr family from Lurgan area

Offline Mammabear

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Orr family from Lurgan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 June 06 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I am interested in your message about James Orr and Margaret Foye, My Maternal Grandmother was Sarah Eileen Orr and she Married a Man called Andrew Liggett.
My Mother used to talk about a cousin of hers named George Orr. Before my Mother died she also talked about an Uncle called James I wonder if this was the same George and James Orr.
Liggett, Ireland
Orr, Ireland
Perryman, Durham, Englad
Carter Durham England

Offline MargaretJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 June 06 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Mammabear
We do not recognise Sarah Eileen Orr or Andrew Liggett.  We have been trying for some time to trace my mother's ancestors and feel that Orr is the Irish equivalent of Smith!! There seem to be several lines of Orr family in the area, but difficult to connect. James is also a popular name!
My grandfather James was born on 16/11/1883 in Lurgan and died 5/04/1963.  His parents were James Orr and Elizabeth Cranston, married in Lurgan on 27/12/1879. 

The only record we have found about George Orr is his signature as a witness at my grandparents' wedding.

Have you any other information about your George and James?

Offline Sunnyhill

• RootsChat Member
  • From Dunmurry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 October 06 15:19 BST (UK) »
I am related to

Bob orr m Elizabeth Fryer, born c 1910?? Lurgan???

Selina Ligett b 1869, lived at Princes Street Lurgan, m Thomas Cassells

Jim Foy m Muriel Fryer, b about 1910??  Lurgan???
Co. Armagh: Castles/Cassells, Turkington, McBride, Hanna, Boston, Abraham, Geddis, Gilkinson, Humphries, McCormick, Corner, Serplus
Co. Antrim: Cassells, Hayes, Campbell, Saulters, Abernethy, Crooks, Fryer, Stead, Cooper, Gardner, Montgomery, Hill, McCartney, McKeown, Sterrit, McIntyre, Orr
Co. Down: Hayes, Campbell, Nelson, Skelly, Pickering, Dixon, Taylor, Lowry, Gourley, Stewart
Co. Mayo: Layng, Fulton, Ruxton
Co. Kerry: Nash
Co. Dublin: Ruxton, Layng, Kelly, Wilson, Shea, Askin
Galway: Abbot

Offline Sunnyhill

• RootsChat Member
  • From Dunmurry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 October 06 16:21 BST (UK) »
In 1912 David Orr of 40 Victoria St Lurgan signed the Ulster Covenant next to John Foye of 159 Union St Lurgan

Maggie Orr of Vctoria Street signed with a Mary Castles and others with names linked to my family

Isabella Orr of 4 Mark St Lurgan signed next to Annabella Foye of Queen St Lurgan

Dorothy Orr of Victoria Street, Lisa Orr of Manor House, Elizabeth Jane Orr of Rectory,' Lizzie', Elizabeth and two James Orrs of Charles St* *[could be yours????], Charles, William and Mary Ann Orr of Flush Place - all of Lurgan, Samuel and Sarah Orr of Turmoyra signed

George Foy, Albert St Lurgan and George Foy of Ballymacatur, John S Foye,  Robert, Sarah, Mary and Alexander Foye of 3 Flush Place, Ann and Minnie of Flush Place, Annie, Sara and Thomas Foye of Queen St, Bessie and Maggie, Minnie and Mary Foye of 159 Union Street, all of Lurgan signed

also James Liggett of Legacurry, Lurgan
Co. Armagh: Castles/Cassells, Turkington, McBride, Hanna, Boston, Abraham, Geddis, Gilkinson, Humphries, McCormick, Corner, Serplus
Co. Antrim: Cassells, Hayes, Campbell, Saulters, Abernethy, Crooks, Fryer, Stead, Cooper, Gardner, Montgomery, Hill, McCartney, McKeown, Sterrit, McIntyre, Orr
Co. Down: Hayes, Campbell, Nelson, Skelly, Pickering, Dixon, Taylor, Lowry, Gourley, Stewart
Co. Mayo: Layng, Fulton, Ruxton
Co. Kerry: Nash
Co. Dublin: Ruxton, Layng, Kelly, Wilson, Shea, Askin
Galway: Abbot

Offline MargaretJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 October 06 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Sunnyhill
Thanks for all the info.  We had already studied the Ulster Covenant but had only looked at the Orr family, not the Foyes. The two James Orr from Charles Street are my grandfather and great-grandfather.  It is possible that the Maggie Foye of 159 Union Street eventually married James and became my grandmother  - will have to do some more research.  We think Isabella, James and Robert are from one family, as my great-grandfather apparently married twice.  There seem to be several distinct branches of the Orr family living in Lurgan.  We have made contact with the Canadian relatives of David Orr but he seems to be descended from a different branch to my mother.
We have still not managed to identify George Orr, who witnessed my grandparent's wedding - we feel he may be one of the keys to idenifying the correct family line.

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 06:01 GMT (UK) »
If being a shoemaker runs in the family, there was James Orr married to Elizabeth Black in Lurgan.  They had children John  abt Sept 1832, Isabelle abt 1835 (she married Joseph Adams in 1852) ,  James abt 1840 Robert abt 1842, Ellen abt 1851 and probably John in 1833. 

James Orr who married Margaret Geddis was a weaver and  his children were born mainly in the 1860's.

However, there was John Orr who married Mary Ingram.  His townland looks a bit like Tegnavin which must be close to Lurgan.  His children were George bapt January 1842 and Moses baptized 1831. 

These are all from the Lurgan First Presbyterian records where the Foye marriage took place.  It looks as if Orrs hadn't attended there in some time. 

Offline CindyWise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Our Orr family was James Orr married to Margaret Geddis. They had children; Thomas James, Dorothy, James, May, David Henry (born 1860 and died young) William, Elsie (may be Eliza Jane) Ann Margaret, and David Henry, my husbands great grandfather. These are the names that were given by David Henry's daughter Margaret. According to her, Elsie married a man named Halliday Russell and they had children Kathleen, Molly, Fred and Cecil. David Henry was COI and belonged to Shankill Parish church.
David and his family were living in Victoria St at the time of the signing of the Covenant. The Maggie Orr listed as signing was my husbands grandmother Margaret Orr.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 March 09 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Margaret J,
                According to a parent search on the IGI youf grandfather had a sister you may already know about. Elizabeth Orr born 1 Mar 1881.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim