Author Topic: Thomas and Margaret Morgan, Marriage  (Read 4923 times)

Offline jobern

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thomas and Margaret Morgan, Marriage
« on: Monday 18 October 04 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hi I look for a marriage or any other information for a Thomas Morgan who Married Margaret ?. Thomas was born Near Montgomery, Wales and Maragret was born Chirbury, Shropshire, in the 1871 census but in the 1891 census she was down as being born in Worten or Warton Shropshire. They had their first born child in Manchester and the other 4 children in Liverpool. Thomas born born around 1849 and Maragret about 1856/57

Many thanks....Jo Perry

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas and Margaret Morgan, Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 October 04 13:11 BST (UK) »
Here's your family in the 1881 census:-

Household:

Name  Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
 Thomas MORGAN   Head   M   Male   34   Near Montgomery, Wales   Bricklayer     
 Margaret MORGAN   Wife   M   Female   27   Chirbury, Shropshire, England       
 Thomas Melville MORGAN   Son      Male   2   Manchester       
 Rose Lillian MORGAN   Dau      Female   1   Liverpool       
 Rebecca LEMON   Boarder   U   Female   48   Liverpool   Milliner     

Source Information:
  Dwelling   1 Dacre St
  Census Place West Derby, Lancashire, England
  Family History Library Film   1341888
  Public Records Office Reference   RG11
  Piece / Folio   3709 / 41
  Page Number   28

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline jobern

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 October 04 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Thanks for your help, what I am really after is the maiden name of Margaret. I was hoping it was somewhere I hadn't looked before and that anyone with access to records of his sort would be able help.

Kind Regards
Jo Perry

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 October 04 00:07 BST (UK) »
Jobern - you will have to follow the path we all take to get further information. There are two sources for her maiden name 1] their marriage certificate about 1878 is seems 2] the birth certificate of either child and you approximate years for those. So the next step is to try for free on freeBMD to find the correct references and if that fails you will have to pay some cash over to 1837online to search for the correct registry district [probably that which has the bride's birthplace in it], the Volume No., page number, quarter and year. Armed with those and £7 you can buy a certificate from the GRO.
Further addresses, web addresses etc for all of those are in the top messages on the Beginners Board.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 October 04 09:39 BST (UK) »
The correct registry district for Chirbury/Worthen is FORDEN.  I did have a quick look on FreeBMD but found nothing - only spent a few minutes looking though!!
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 October 04 10:23 BST (UK) »
I had a few spare credits so looked for Rose Lilian Morgan on 1837online between the dates of 1879 & 1880 and this was the only entry:-

BIRTHS APR-MAY-JUN QUARTER 1880

MORGAN, ROSE LILIAN   W. Derby 8b 564

Voume 8b is Liverpool, page 564

"Liverpool
Created 1st July 1837. Abolished 1st January 1925 (incorporated into Liverpool South district).
Sub-districts : Abercromby; Dale Street; Exchange; Howard Street; Islington; Mount Pleasant; St. George; St. Martin; St. Thomas; Scotland.
GRO volumes : XX (1837-51); 8b (1852-1924).
Liverpool.
Registers now in Liverpool district."

With this information you should now be able to request Rose's birth certificate and from that you will find her mother's maiden name.

Hope this helps!

Offline jobern

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 October 04 15:25 BST (UK) »
Many many thanks for your help and for putting me on the right track. I am fairly new to this so you a have been a huge help .Thanks again..Jo