Author Topic: Poulton or Paulton  (Read 3580 times)

Offline Norwich

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Poulton or Paulton
« on: Saturday 06 May 06 21:10 BST (UK) »
On some censuses my great grandfather Levi Hill's birthplace is given as Poulton, Somerset; on others Poulton, Glos. (I know there is one in Glos. in a rural area.) As Levi and his father were coal miners should I assume they were born in PAULTON, Som.?
Can someone help me to find a record of this family please?

From the 1841 census:-
William Hill  35, born c. 1806 "Poulton", Som., Head.Coal miner
Mary Hill  35, born c. 1806  in Poulton, Som.,Wife
Levy (or Levi) Hill 15, born c. 1826  in Poulton, Som.,Son. Coal miner
Joseph Hill 13, born c. 1828 in Poulton, Som., Son, Coal miner
William Hill 5, born c. 1836 in Poulton, Som., Son
John Hill,3, born c.1838 in Monmouthshire, Son

In 1841 thay were living in Trevethin, near Pontypool, Mon.This was probably the Abersychan registration district.
How can I find more about there Somerset origins?

Offline Peewee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Poulton or Paulton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 May 06 13:51 BST (UK) »

The Paulton in Somerset is south of Bristol and a little way north of the villages of Midsomer Norton and Radstock. This was a mining area as there's a huge old slag heap on the left hand side of the A362 when going east from MidsomerNorton to Radstock .

peewee
Watts  - Middx, Bethnal Green, Romford Essex
Palmer  - Nether and Over Stowey Somerset
Symons- Bishops Hull, Taunton, Bishops Lydeard all in Somerset
Coles - Somerset
Loddy - Pimlico London , Devonport
Le May - Bethnal Green, London

Offline Peewee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 May 06 14:39 BST (UK) »
Ive just noticed that my wife changed my ID to Mrs Peewee!!

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Levi is in the 1881 census at Mount Pleasant, Aberystruth, Monmouthshire
RG11 5241 112 page 10
Levi Hill aged 50 born Poulton somerset
wife Rachel born Powntwell Gloucestershire
Thomas aged 16 born Findel Hill, Dorset ( acoal miner)
Henry G aged 11 born Frankland Dorset

There were loads of coalpits in Bristol (Coalpit Heath, Kingswood etc) and to the south around Midsomer Norton and to the west around Backwell (where 2 of my ancestors died in 1836 in a mining accident). The connection to Gloucester seems to come from his wife. I dont know her village of Powntwell but alot of the mining was around the Forest of Dean on the Welsh side of the county.

Hope this ramble helps

Coles - Somerset

Offline Norwich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 May 06 06:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this information, Peewee.
Would you agree that we are talking about Paulton, Somerset, as it seems to have been in the Somerset mining area?
Levi's wife was Rachel Thompson from Powntwell which is in the parish of Notgrove, near Bourton on the Water. It is now just a farm with some outbuildings. At some time her mother Patience moved to the Bristol area.In 1851 (after Rachel had married) her family were living in Trevethin, near Pontypool (where Levi and Rachel Hill's first child was born in 1849). Her father George Thompson (b 1810), a pit sinker, was born in Pucklechurch.  His wife Patience (b 1811) and most of their children were born in Mangotsfield. One son, Thomas, was born in Trevethin in 1846. I wonder if Patience was a servant at the farm in Powntwell when Rachel was born? I have not found them in the parish records around Notgrove so far.
Thomas Hill was my grandfather. The census has his birthplace wrong (I have his birth certificate). It was Findon Hill, Witton Gilbert, Co. Durham, and Frankland is part of Durham town. The family moved from Wales to Durham and back to Wales working in the pits.There is no Findel Hill in Dorset.
I didn't know that there were pits so close to Bristol, so now I'm still confused about whether Levi Hill was born in Somerset or Gloucestershire in 1826.
I think "Blewford" is probably Beaufort, Mon.
Hope all this makes sense!

Offline Peewee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 May 06 15:20 BST (UK) »
I used to live in Bristol up to a few years ago and got to know it quite well whilst ferrying my sons around to their football matches. Bristol at one time had hundreds of pits which seem to form an arc from the south west of the city (Nailsea & Backwell), then eastwards to the south Gloucestershire borders. The coal was first used in the local industries of brass, glass and pottery and later, in the 1800ís, for ship building and on the railways. (I K Brunel)

Bourton in the Water is a very different kettle of fish.. Itís a pretty little Cotswold town now full up of tourist shops and tea shops

The only thing I know is that Pucklechurch is famous for is its open prison. Its on the east side of Bristol and not far from Mangotsfield.

Mangotsfield was again a mining area of the city .

I think itís a reasonable assumption that we are talking about Paulton in Somerset as there was a lot of mining around there and Midsomer Norton. The coal from here no doubt went to Bristol but also would have gone to Frome (about 8 miles away) as this was a wool and cloth producing area. Its less than 20 miles from Mangotsfield to Paulton. And it is possible that Levi may have moved from Paulton to a pit in the Mangotsfield / Coalpit Heath / Kingswood area of Bristol. Later to have met Rachael.

On www.abertillery.net/help/wherenow there is a bit about a Levi Hill and his wife Rachael moving to Abertillery from Spennymore Co. Durham. Coincidence?

I hope this helps a little.

Coles - Somerset

Offline Norwich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 May 06 17:01 BST (UK) »
Yes, that was an old message of mine on the Abertillery website, when my surname was Laurie (up to 2002). My great grandfather Levi had a grandson also named Levi (son of Henry George Hill). Levi Junior had a shop in Llanhilleth but no one seems to remember it now.  Jimmy Hill, the one time footballer and broadcaster, is related to my family.When I wrote to him some years ago I thought the family came from Durham as my grandfather Thomas Hill and Jimmy's grandfather, Henry George Hill were born up there. I had no idea then that they returned to Wales.
Thanks for your interesting news.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 May 06 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Norwich.
Our Paulton Som family seems to have taken a similar route as yours Paulton-Beaufort-Spennymore If you look at my post you will see an interesting reply received today.
Trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Norwich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 May 06 21:58 BST (UK) »
Yes, very interesting. Until I began F H research I thought my family came from Durham as Grandfather Hill was born at Witton Gilbert up there in 1864. Had no idea they were so mobile! How did they travel? I know railways were available then, but to workers and their families?
A cousin told me that grandfather and his brother walked and worked their way to Wales from Spennymoor. I doubt if their parents went back to Wales that way. Even while they were in Durham they moved from Framwellgate to Witton Gilbert and Spennymoor. Why so much movement, I wonder? From his birth in Paulton in 1825 till his death in Cwmtilleryi n 1892,great grandfather Levi Hill must have moved at least twelve times.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 May 06 22:34 BST (UK) »
I Know that people travelling to work had a cheap fare on certain trains. Gt Grampy was a GWR man and he told us that the train was the main form of transport in his valley. The railway was put into the valley to transport the coal out and so adding the passenger service was the next step. I think our lotcrossedthe Bristol Chanel on coasters there was a regular trade coal to the west country  gravel and people to S. Wales. Again ours seem to have gone North via a stop in the industrial mid-lands namely Dudley. The way they travelled would certainly be a worthwhile project.
Happy hunting
Trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.