Author Topic: Brogdens Recuits to New Zealand - James Palmer  (Read 8704 times)

Offline 3grkiwi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brogdens Recuits to New Zealand - James Palmer
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 May 06 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Riley,

Many thanks for the checks you have done.  I am ever hopeful James & Dinah Palmer may show up on some NZ passenger arrival list.

Regards,Owen

Offline Abby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 July 06 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Owen,

I can't provide passenger list, but may be able to explain why.  My g.g.grandfather came to NZ on the Zealandia - left London 10th October 1872 - and he's not on the passenger list either, but I have discovered that a lot of them disembarked in Bluff and then the ship went on to Dunedin.  The passenger list seems to be only those that got off in Dunedin!! 

There is some information about the ship's arrival in Bluff in the newspaper The Southland Times, dated 31st December 1872,  which is available to view on
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/
I really want to confirm my Richard William Jones was there too, so will keep you informed if I find out anything more.

Good luck,
Abby
Jones - Shropshire & Wales; Green - Warwickshire; Evans & Smith - Bedminster; Joll - Calstock, Cornwall; Harrison; Treliving - Cornwall; Matthews, Bell, Marks - UK; Watt - Edinburgh; Mossman - Canada; Lange & Balck/Balch/Balk - Germany.
All to New Zealand

Offline 3grkiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 July 06 04:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Abby,

Your reply is much appreciated and confirms my research to date that the Zealandia Dec 1872 arrival passenger list covers only those that landed at Dunedin. The 31 Dec 1872 Southland Times article gives a good precis of the outward voyage

It is my Great Great Grandparents James & Dinah Palmer that arrived  Dec 1872 on the Zealandia according to an extract in "The Farthest Promised Land".  I would be interested to know how you established you GG Grandfather Richard William Jones arrived on the same voyage on the offchance it may lead to further information.

Regards
Owen

Offline Abby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 31 July 06 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Owen,

Sorry - I can't give you any details, as it is only information that the family has handed down.  That Richard came on the Zealandia, arriving in 1872 and until I discovered the off-loading at Bluff, I had thought an 1872 landing had been impossible!  However, I doubt my search will ever be concluded and I have yet to have conclusive proof, so will keep you posted as soon as I find anything else out.

Sorry,
Abby
Jones - Shropshire & Wales; Green - Warwickshire; Evans & Smith - Bedminster; Joll - Calstock, Cornwall; Harrison; Treliving - Cornwall; Matthews, Bell, Marks - UK; Watt - Edinburgh; Mossman - Canada; Lange & Balck/Balch/Balk - Germany.
All to New Zealand

Offline Popajoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 February 07 21:21 GMT (UK) »
I have researching the Brogden Navies, "Recruits" for some ten years now and I have unable to locate a copy of the Passenger Shipping list for this voyage.

The only sources which maybe of assistance are the Southland Museum , in Invercargill, or if the Immigration records of the Port of Bluff for the time can be found.

From my other research of the 15 voyages carrying Brogden recruits, the Brogden recruits were kept separate on the Shipping Lists in some cases.  Rollo Arnold has identified 1169 of the 2148 persons who immigrated under the auspices of John Brogden & Sons.  I have further identified another 500 or so from other sources.  Unfortunately those on the Zealandia have eluded me.

All the information from previous responses has been confirmed by my research. 

I am able to add the following:  (Invercargill) Sunday, 15 March 1874.  " ..... ascertained that J Palmer one of the men sent I from Bletchington last year in the Zealandia, liv'd in the Town, I had an interview with him in the afternoon, found he was getting on well."
C Holloway's book of jotting on New Zealand.  Typescript Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand.  Also Labourers Union Chronicle, 04/07/1874 pg 2.

The Farthest Promised Land, Arnold Rollo, Victoria University Press, Wellington NZ.  Pg 80-81.

"While in Invercargill Holloway met some old acquaintances from acquaintances.  James Palmer, whom he had recruited from Bletchington for Brogdens, told of wages of ten shillings a day, since he had arrived in New Zealand on the Zealandia on 4 January 1873.  From Palmer, Holloway had good news of William Terry, a union man form Kirtlington, who also came out on the Zealandia, for Brogdens."

Offline Abby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 04 February 07 04:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Popajoe,

Somehow its really comforting to know others are wrestling with the same brick wall of Zealandia's missing passengers!  I'm in Hawke's Bay, so a long way from Bluff & Invercargill, but do hope to get down there at some stage to do some seeking.

Good luck with your research and please let us know if you get a breakthrough.  I'm actually thinking we should start another thread in the hope that someone in Bluff may know if any information exists there.

Welcome to Rootschat!!  I've found everyone so friendly and helpful.

Abby

All to New Zealand

Offline Popajoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 04 February 07 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello Abby

The Farthest Promised Land is available on the web at:
www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-arnfart-b3.html.

Zealandia did call at Bluff before proceeding to Port Chalmers.  I will have to check the dates via the Southland Times, but I believe 28 December 1872 arrived Bluff, then on to Port Chalmers arriving there early January 1873.

Like you I have not been able to make the trip to Southland or Otago to see if there is a record in the Provincial Govt archives relating to Immigration at this time.

There are only 7 persons mentioned on Rollo Arnold's database on this voyage which are from other sources.

James Palmer,
John Sammons,
Frederick Shaw,
Wm Terry
Mrs Terry
Child1 Terry
Child2 Terry

Hope this provides some further information.  There is no mention of Richard Wlliam Jones on Rollo's database, or of Dinah Palmer nee Jones.

Offline DotBrennan

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 10 November 08 21:58 GMT (UK) »

In the interests of good housekeeping, I’ve moved this post to completed.

Assistance has been provided …….

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 17 July 21 04:57 BST (UK) »
Just in case 3grkiwi or the other respondents are still around, a list of the Brogden passengers of the Zealandia appears in this MA History thesis published in 2020:

'A bright eye to the main chance'
file:///C:/Users/House/Downloads/BLONDELLMAThesis.pdf

It includes an alphabetical list of over 1000 'Brogdenites' and lists a James, Dinah and Jesse PALMER of the Zealandia.

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL