Author Topic: NBI - Whitchurch - 1860s.  (Read 3268 times)

Offline lancs.fox

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: NBI - Whitchurch - 1860s.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,

Wow.

Thanks for all that and for your time and effort - really appreciated.

I'll have a look through everything later today or in the morning when hopefully I'll have some time to try to work out who's who.

Strange what happened to Elizabeth after 1861.

One of the Stockton family, a direct ancestor of mine (2 x great-grandfather), went up to Yorkshire from Whitchurch in the 1820/30s, I think, and worked as a clogger, ultimately having his own business and employing staff.  This person, William, had been baptised in Prees in 1811, his mother being the Elizabeth Stockton I'm seeking.

The 1841 Census reveals William Stockton in the Sowerby Bridge area, but, save for his wife and children, there are no other Stocktons in the Halifax area suggesting that he travelled north by himself looking for work.

Anyway, I'll check out the people that you have found and try to link them through the 1841 and 1851 censuses and also see if I can find out a bit more about Elizabeth.

I'll be back in touch.

If there is anything that you need looking up in West Yorkshire or East Lancashire let me know.

Cheers,

Richard
Fox (Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Yorkshire); Stockton (Shropshire, Yorkshire); Moody (Staffordshire, Worcestershire, Yorkshire); Kershaw (Yorkshire); Martyn (Cornwall); Barnacle (Warwickshire, Leicestershire), Cox (Staffordshire); Dunn (Staffordshire); Mitchell (Yorkshire); Evers (Yorkshire)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GeniusLoki

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NBI - Whitchurch - 1860s.
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 July 07 17:37 BST (UK) »
Richard,

I know this thread is dead, ut I would like you to reply to me if possible as William is also my gg-grandfather, via Hannah and Alfred Drake

Regards
   Charles