Author Topic: Montgomerie / Montgomery  (Read 5010 times)

Offline LadyMcadam

• RootsChat Extra
  • John Loudon McAdam
    • View Profile
Montgomerie / Montgomery
« on: Monday 08 May 06 01:09 BST (UK) »
I am interested in the Montgomerie's of Scotland.  Please tell me about your twigs.

McAdam / Montgomerie / Allason / Wyllie / Russell / Gilmour / Duffie / Whitton / Paton / Ross / Evans (adopted)

Offline art.birchell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Montgomerie / Montgomery
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 16:14 BST (UK) »
One of my Jennings family married into the Montgomerie family of Kilmaurs in Ayrshire. That family seems to go back some way in that area. Where exactly in Scotland are you interested in?

Elsewhere I have a 4 x great grandmother Elizabeth Montgomerie who married a James McConnell. Their son, born 1802 is found in Ayrshire. Hard to say if this Elizabeth is from Scotland or Ireland as I've never found a marriage record or anyone else with the link.
England -(Wilt Chute) Jennings (Cam) Howard Hart (Sur) Ede
(Dev) Selley (Lon) Burgess (Lincs) Freeman Kingswood
Scotland Renfrew-Haggarty Berwickshire-Graden
Ayrshire-Johnstone McConnell Jennings
Kirkcudbright- Good Gray Gilchrist
Ireland -Johnston Robertson McConnell Birchell

Offline Fransmoi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 May 06 22:49 BST (UK) »
We have Montgomeries in Milmont House, Milntown of Newtarbat ,Ross-shire .A family letter suggested they fled North with followers of the regent but his daughter Margaret was said to be the granddaughter of the fuer of Tarlogie which is father North nearer Tain.

John a farmer and stocking manufacturer employed local women as spinners which kept their families fed in hard times.

He'd married Ann Mackenzie of Polnicol. One of their daughters Helen baptised 8 May 1759 married my gt gt gt grandfather Andrew Ross who farmed Miltowne - now Milton.

Another daughter Margaret married Cpt George Munro VIth of Culrain and was the progenitor of Sir  Hector Munro of Fowlis and her sister  Ann/e became the wife of the local minister Rev John Matheson and became it was said the progenitor of Matheson of the Lews.

Two sons were named Joseph Mongomery as one died aged 16.Mary was born 1776 and Christian bap.1766 married John Munro the exciseman at Ferrintosh in 1788.

If you care to contact offline I have more of this family.
Hope it helps.
Fransmoi.

Aird,Anderson,
Babington,
Bothwell,
Clark,
Dunford,
Errington,
Fleming,Forrest,
Gerrard,
Kinghorn,
Leslie,Loudon,Lumsden,
Mackenzie ,MacLeod,McLeod,Milne,Montgomery,
Ramsay,Ross ,Rust
Shields,Sim,Sowden, Stoddart,
Turnbull,
Wallace,Woodman

Offline watcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 December 06 16:14 GMT (UK) »
I have a Moses Montgomery who was born about 1809, but I can't find his birth

He died in Dundee, Scotland on 30 Nov 1857 at 51 Hilltown, Dundee.

On his death certificate it said he was single but he fathered a daughter to Alice Quin who was named Jane in 1854 but I cannot find her DoB either.

His father was John Montgomery and his mother Agnes jackson.
Pearson,Person, Pierson, Young, McGrath,Hurst,Kane, marshall, Cooper,Quin,Clark,Smart,Mann, Carlisle,Stewart(Stuart),Burns, Deuchars,Peddie,mcFarlane, Haliburton, Montgomery & Winton

Offline ShirleyX

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 January 07 08:07 GMT (UK) »
I don't know anything of Agnes Montgomery except that she married John Manners in 1815 in Dunbarton/shire.

John died 21 Nov 1840 Dunbarton/shire and Agnes died 26 Apr 1851 Dubarton/shire.

They had 8 children. Catherine, John (my direct ancestor) George,  Charles, William, Helen, Robert and James.

Can anyone enlighten me on John and Agnes, who were their parents?

Shirley
Dudley, Tipton, Worcestshire - ATTWELL, FISHER, RICHARDS, INCE, SHEERWOOD
Greenock, MANNERS, CAMPBELL, MONTGOMERY, LECKIE

Offline weemalla

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 August 07 06:49 BST (UK) »
I am interested in james montgomery dob c 1825 Middletow Ireland married Ann wallace Deed 1848 in Adelaide South Australia. Looking for his siblings / parents and any other details of when he went to Australia etc

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 August 13 21:11 BST (UK) »
I have a Janet MONTGOMERIE born circa 1767 in Scotland and married a John ROBERTSON 28 Jul 1786 in Govan. She may have died in 1836 or so. The Montgomerie name carried on for a couple of generations as a middle name in my family.  I know absolutely nothing more than the above. Not much to go on but a possible match.

yn9man 
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline ShirleyX

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 August 13 00:30 BST (UK) »
Update on Agnes Montgomery who married John Manners

Agnes Parents are George Montgomery and Agnes Crum/b (b 1 Sep 1758 Dumbarton - Parents Robert Crumb and Katherine McIntyre).

Siblings of Agnes Montgomery b 29 Nov 1793 Dumbarton d 26 Apr 1851 Dumbarton - George b 1 Jun 1781 Dumbarton, William b 7 Aug 1786 Dumbarton, Helen b 5 Oct 1796 Dumbarton m John Carmichael 1819, Barbara b Abt 1800 d unmarried 6 Jun 1876 Paisley.

Shirley
Dudley, Tipton, Worcestshire - ATTWELL, FISHER, RICHARDS, INCE, SHEERWOOD
Greenock, MANNERS, CAMPBELL, MONTGOMERY, LECKIE

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 November 17 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Agnes (Madge) Montgomerie, daughter of Robert M, farmer, and Mary Nicholson, was born on 8 March 1861 at Garion Haugh, Cambusnethan, Lanarkshire. On 26 November 1888 she married John McConnell, chemist, assayer and mining engineer, in the Bath Hotel, Glasgow. John died on 22 October 1906 in Kilbarchan, Renfrewshire. Madge was his executrix. After that she seems to have disappeared.

I have failed to find them in the 1891 or 1901 census, or Madge in 1911. I am not aware of any children, but in absence of any census sightings or Madge's death, I could easily have missed them.

Has anyone come across Madge after 1906?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.