Author Topic: Advice Re Practice Colorization  (Read 2542 times)

Offline roadrunner465

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Advice Re Practice Colorization
« on: Monday 08 May 06 21:53 BST (UK) »
I have just started to practice coloring a photo of my family.
I do not know how to color my sisters face on the right. No matter which color I use she still has a dark face.
I am unable to change the color my my sisters legs in the middle. I am having the same problems as above.
I do not know how to color eyes, so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Joy
Jones( Hereford) Wales Williams( Wales) Broughtons<br />Elsworthy, Lindsey, Polles,clayton,
Wood, Jolley, Bridges,

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
Re: Advice Re Practice Colorization
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 May 06 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Joy,

The easiest/quickest is to use "quick mask" - just press "Q" - then use brush tool to mark out the area you want to alter - "Q" again - go to "Hue/saturation" and use the "lighteness" to alter the area - you will then be able to colour the face better.

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 May 06 22:09 BST (UK) »

After altering - exaggerated to show it up
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline roadrunner465

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 May 06 22:13 BST (UK) »
Keith,
thanks for the info, Should I choose any size brush? I have not used the brush yet so will give it a try. Like most things it takes time, but I will not let this defeat me.
joy
Jones( Hereford) Wales Williams( Wales) Broughtons<br />Elsworthy, Lindsey, Polles,clayton,
Wood, Jolley, Bridges,

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 May 06 22:18 BST (UK) »

The size depends on what you are doing - use one that you can easily paint around the item - also when you open the brush you will be able to alter the opacity along the top row - I usually use about 75%

Keith

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline roadrunner465

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 May 06 22:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much
Joy
Wood, Jolley, Bridges,

Offline roadrunner465

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 20:17 BST (UK) »
I have done everything to make the right side of the picture color. I have tried Quick mask and fiddled with colors, but my sisters face on the right will not color, and also my younger sisters legs will not color.
Any ideas would be appreciated as I would like to finish this first project.
PLease also advise me how to color eyes.
Thanks for your support.
Joy
Wood, Jolley, Bridges,

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 23:57 BST (UK) »

Not easy Joy, but it does colour - although there are no eyes visible - so I usually try to lighten them and the add some pupils with colour.

Keith

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline roadrunner465

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 00:28 BST (UK) »
Keith
I finally managed to solve the problems of my sisters.
I went to adjustments brightness and contrast, lightened and then i was able to give color.
For the background. Is this what I do. Choose ( green for example) choose a paint brush click in the different areas.
I have not yet done this, but can.
The eyes. I will research on the web for the best me tho, and or look at Katrin Eismanns book.
I will complete one and go on to others. Success depends, on time effort and patience.
Thanks for all your advice
Joy
Wood, Jolley, Bridges,