Author Topic: Farnworth Burial grounds  (Read 40386 times)

Offline Summerstar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alma (Davies-Kerslake) G.dghter of Emily R. Davies
    • View Profile
Re: Farnworth Burial grounds
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, Shirley.  I enjoyed reading your perspective of Farnworth very much--past and present.  This lead me to an interesting Bolton site which had a list of street names in Farnworth in the late 1800s and early 1900s which enhanced what you were talking about.  Many of the streets listed were ones that my grandmother and her family would have lived on.  I could see from the information and images provided how very difficult life would have been.  We like to romanticize about the "Good old days," but in reality life would have been very bleak for many.  You live in the same place that a couple of my great aunts were born in, Shirley--Kearsley.  I can see from the census' I have obtained on my grandparents that their family, too, has been in your area for over 150 years as well.

Received another death certificate today for Great Aunt Edith Emily Mosley (nee Davies) - Born 1880 - Died June 20, 1923 (breast cancer) - only 43 years old--Albert Mosley, Edith's husband, was present at death - 146 Bridgewater Street, Farnworth.  The photos that I saw of Bridgewater street housing and conditions in the 1920 - 1930s were very grim.  It's amazing how people can be shown "smiling" in spite of it all.  Edith's death connects with my great aunt Sarah going to Farnworth in 1923 (June) from Canada.  I'm going to contact the cemetery to find out where her resting place is now.

If anyone has other information re website links to Farnworth past and also present, I would very much like to have this. 

Thanks, Cathy

Ross/Davies/Hurst/Mosley - All in the Farnworth/Lancashire area

Offline shirleyivers

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy, there is a wonderful book of Archive images of Farnworth compiled by Ken Beevers. You can find the website here although it is not the only place you can get it:- http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kenneth.beevers/Farnworth.htm
My copy is falling apart as I use it such a lot to refer back to things when things fall into place when doing family history.
This is also a good website if you haven't seen it:- http://www.boltonrevisited.org.uk/default.html

Shirley
Ivers, Barnes, Topp, (all Farnworth)

Offline HODGKISS77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Farnworth
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I would just like to say that my late Father ''John Hodgkiss'' was born and bred in Farnworth, and so where at least 4 generations of his family. He was born at Kent St in 1932 to parents ''Thomas Hodgkiss - Or Tommy Green as he was known back then) and Elsie May Hodgkiss (Nee Forrester).

My father knew alot about Farnworth- he had a fantastic memory! What my dad couldn't tell you about farnworth was not worth bothering about!

He was a very well know man in Farnworth, and the local newspaper-''Bolton Evening News'' used to contact him regular asking him for his Historian information about Farnworth and it's people, etc.

If you go and take a look at ''The Bolton Revisited'' website , you will see alot of old black and white Photographs taken of all the old streets, suc as Brackley Street, Kent St, etc. These photographs I believ where taken by my late father as I have the originals which belonged to him.

If anybody on here remembers my dad I would to hear from you.

Thank you for taking the time to read my message :)

Offline shirleyivers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 12 March 10 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi HODGKISS77, I have had to put a reply on here so I can attach a picture: I'm sorry , I don't much much about it except it isn't there today. The  swimming pool is actually on the land now. Here is a map with it indicated.

Offline chamonix

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 02 January 11 23:37 GMT (UK) »
I have just found this site and logged in to inform you that Annie Partington of Bradford St died maybe 6 or more years ago 90 +and was involved with New Jerusalem Church on the kearsley roundabout don't know if they still have a church graveyard I'm sure she had a sister Ruth who lived on Longcausway next to the butchers and were the daughters of Jo Davies and also had a connection with (sister in law?)Connie Davies , Annie has a son Roy, Connie a daughter.any use?

P.S From my house windows i can see St Johns churchyard and also some of Farnworth Cemertery ;)

Offline shirleyivers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 03 January 11 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chamonix , there is still a small amount of graves at New Jerusalem. A lot of the graveyard went when the A666 roundabout  was being built . A lot of the bodies were dis-interred & removed but some graves are still there.

Offline JV001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 07 January 11 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know of the Conways :

Andrew Conway Father 1864
Rose Toner Wife 1970

Mary Ellen Conway 1894
Norah Conway 1896
Andrew Joseph Conway 1897
Bridget Conway 1900
Rose Conway

I'm particularly searching for Andrew Joseph Conway who married Elizabeth Lloyd Crowther in 22 Jan 1931 and lived in 100 Elsemere Street.

The family also lived in Brackley Street pre-ww2 and afterwards they moved around.

I understand Andrew was planning to move to America and apparently did so but left his Wife and Son behind.

So the search is also looking for anyone who can tell me what happened to Andrew during the 1930's/1940's etc.

I found a couple of Ship Manifest listing him going from Liverpool to NY and returning but literally nothing in the US so one of my assumptions is that he never settled in the US and returned to the UK and Farnworth or surrounding area. If any of the family descendants of his Sisters listed above have any info would help.

Any help would be appreciated.

John

Offline jackuk27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 23 August 21 21:44 BST (UK) »
HI,
after reading the story here, I was amazed by how you have helped each other.
I am Farnworth born and bred, but now live near Blackpool, I started my research in the 90's but it proved to be quite expensive as a new mum ( my youngest daughter was only 6 months old when I started) So I didn't do any research for years, then back in January I had a "light bulb" moment and restarted researching.
Most of my paternal ancestors are from the Moses Gate area, (Shirley you will now this), Smith Street,
My Great Grandfather went to Canada in 1914, was only there a couple of months before war broke out and he came back, I have been trying now for months to try and locate his army records. I have been on EVERY website that I can find, without any luck at all!!
I have his regiments and his numbers for each regiment, he was even in the local paper in Farnworth for being the 1st Man in Farnworth to be awarded the Italian Bronze Medal, but wouldn't say why!!??, this is why I want to find his record, along with his son's too, My Grandfather who I was extremely close to!
I wonder if you, Shirley, are able to give me any pointers of what I can do?
Apart from applying for the records, which I know wont be cheap, and being a disabled lady who can't work, this is not at the top of my financial priority list :(
I look forward to any help that you may be able to offer......
I still have family in Farnworth and visit regularly,
Hope to chat soon
Jackie