Author Topic: Angland  (Read 16625 times)

Offline DanielleJames

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Angland
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 14 July 07 04:29 BST (UK) »
Jim,

Thanks for that comment...  I was not aware of that!!   it does make life a little confusing when the diocese and the counties doe not line up precicely...

But your comment makes sense....

Dani
Angland,   Chirnside,  Carnegie, Hogg

Offline Seaman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 29 July 07 06:40 BST (UK) »
Hi to All who are researching the Anglands,
I am a decendant of the youngest of Michaels children, Julia Angland, I have many photos and info if you would like to contact me direct please feel free, Julia came to NZ, married a Denis Buckley, my Mum was named Julia and so was I, some imigrated to the USA some to the Uk, I can be contacted at clevegcjc@clear.net.nz also I have many photos.
Hope to hear from you soon
Regards Julia C
Brooks, Swansea Wales, Buckley, Kerry Ireland

Offline DanielleJames

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 05 September 07 04:33 BST (UK) »
OK,   here is an interesting thought...

I was talking to another Angland cousin today  (he would be my mother's first cousin).   His mother Honera Angland did alot of research back in the day - athough it sounds like he has not inherited these documents...    one really interesting segment of the conversation he was telling me how he went to Ireland many years ago and met with some of the Anglands - it was worked out at the time that these Irish Anglands were indeed relatives.   They were able to tell him it is their understanding the Angland family emigrated to Ireland from France, and that in France their name was Angleterre.   He also told me that the Angleterre family were Hugenoughts.  (which is probably the reason the left France and came to Ireland).    I understand the Hugenoughts were not well liked in France but that is about all I know of them...   who exactly were the Hugenoughts?  does anyone know?      Was being a Hugenought a religous thing? an ethinc thing? was it some kind of family dynasty?  my knowledge of this group of historical people is sadly lacking!!!

It would explain why there alot of French family names like Daniel, Danielle, and Michael.....    Anyone else have any thoughts???

Dani

Offline Seaman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 05 September 07 06:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Danielle,

Just say your posting and your query re the Hugenoughts,  I will ask geoff when he gets home if he knows anything.

Julia
Brooks, Swansea Wales, Buckley, Kerry Ireland

Offline DanielleJames

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 05 September 07 06:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Julia,

I thought I would post my thoughts rather than e.mailing you directly to capture a wider audience so to speak!!!   But I was hoping you would see it as I figured out of any one Geoff would hopefully know!    :-)

Dani

Offline Jim I

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 05 September 07 13:54 BST (UK) »
The Huguenots were French protestants.  They were severely persecuted in Catholic France and there was even a famous massacre on St Bartholomew's day in 1572. 

There is a bit of info here
http://www.dochara.com/stuff/surnames-huguenot.php

Jim

Offline Tiffaney

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 07 September 07 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Dani & Julia,

You got in before me Jim 1. I googled & came up with Hugenots (French Protestants) fled Catholic persecution & many moved to England during 16th,17th & 18th centuries as well as other countries.

Also came across a Henry 11 de L'Angleterre duc de la Normandie ...spouse Eleanor d'Aquitance.

Angleterre, Edith d'Princess.
Birth aft. 900
Death 946
Parents: England, Edward 1 le Sage King
Mother: Aelflaeda
married le Grand, Atto 1, Kaiser born 23 Nov 912
Died 5 July 973 Membleden.
Now to look for more..thanks for web site Jim.
V. Interesting,
Tiff
Caithness: Sutherland (2 families)
Perthshire: McLauchlan, Galletly. Dunn. Mill 
Glasgow: Paisley: Gilmour; Fillans
Orkney: Shearer, Peace, Laughton,Scott,Craigie, Sinclair, Tulloch, Spence, Laing
Devon: Moore, Gempton, Copp, Boone, Carter, Lee, Gill,
London:  Laver, Rix, Nightingale,Hartley, Mason,Satchell.
Nottingham: Bomforth, Shaw
Australia: Graham, Tattersall, Galletly
Ireland: Angland

N.Z: McLauchlan, Sutherland, Shearer,  Rix, Moore, Hartley,Mason, Gilmour, Bomforth,  Dunn, Galletly

Offline mirror

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 08 January 12 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Have lost ur query bout Buckleys but here we go!

The following is about descendants of Larry the Purchaser! who is my ancestor and I believe yours! Larry was married to Hanora Harrington in 1815 in Tralee and here is your direct line with one of his sons, Patrick.

Patrick Buckley born in 1830 in Slievecahill, Listowel married Mary Stack of Touhino, Ballybunion in 1854 who was his first wife. She was daughter of James Stack and Joanna Connor. Sponsors at wedding were Laurence Buckley and Thade Buckley.
Children were
 Honora Buckley born 1854 in Balygrennan married John Francis Lahesrough in 1876 when she was 22.
PatrickBuckley born in 1858 in Barna. No Record.
Timothy Buckley born in 1866 in Barna. No record.
Thomas Buckley born in 1868 in Barna. No record.
James Buckley born in 1870 in Barna. No Record.
Edmond Buckley born in 1870 in Barna. No Record.
John Buckley born in ??? married Mary Ann OKeeffe  Ballylongford in 1894 whose father was Frances O’Keeffe and mother was Margaret McEnery.
Second marriage to Ellen Gallivan of Barna Ballybunion in 1871. Parents mentioned on marriage cert were John Gallivan/ Bridget Mahony and Laurence Buckley/Hanora Harrington. Witnesses were James Walsh and Elizabeth Gallivan.
Michael Buckley 1871. No record.
Christopher Buckley 1872 Catherine Buckley was sponsor. No record.
Bridget Buckley 1874. No record.
Denis Buckley 1877. No record.
Sarah M Buckley 1879. No record.
Charles Buckley 1881. No record.