Author Topic: Angland  (Read 16637 times)

Offline Seaman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Angland
« on: Thursday 11 May 06 04:52 BST (UK) »
Hi there if anyone is researching the name "Angland" in the Cork area I would love to hear from you. I am particularly interested in any of the ones that came from Boherbue area.
Julia
Brooks, Swansea Wales, Buckley, Kerry Ireland

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Angland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 May 06 08:26 BST (UK) »
Seaman
 a quick look tells me I can help you with this name 1864-1874 so If you want to post a bit more info .
I have no conection with your name

audrey

Offline Seaman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 May 06 05:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply Audrey, The info I have is a Michael Angland md a Nora Leane, she died  abt 1858 - chd were Mary b1852, Johanna b1851 Dennis B 1847 Timothy B 1849 John b 1857, Second marriage to a Julia Greaney abt  1858, chd were Patrick b 1859, Michael b 1863, William b1866, Daniel b1868, Maurice b1869, Catherine b 1870 and Julia b1873 (my grandmother) Julia Greaney died in 1875. I am wanting to get more on Michael Angland eg date of birth and parents and Julia Greaney date of birth and prents. I know they lived at Kanturk, there are a lots of Anglands, some came to NZ and some went to the UK. If you can help it would be appreciated.
thanks Julia
Brooks, Swansea Wales, Buckley, Kerry Ireland

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 May 06 08:01 BST (UK) »
Julia
I have answered this by PM

audrey

Offline Maellen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 May 06 13:34 BST (UK) »
My family was from Newmarket, Boherbue. The Anglands were neighbors and close friends. I believe some of their family members went to NZ.                                                                                                                                                                       Maellen                                                                                                               

Offline Tiffaney

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 August 06 06:54 BST (UK) »
Hi, Have just read mailings about Anglands & have only just started enquiries myself.
My father-in-law was Jeremiah William Angland born Albury, New Zealand died 29/10/1980 at the age of 81yrs.
I also have a Daniel Angland died 22/7/1935 Albury aged 74yrs.  & Ellen Angland died 3/6/1928 Albury, South Canterbury, aged 59yrs. I thought there was also a Maurice but can't find him.

Apparently there were two brothers & they were left a farm each in Albury..perhaps part of the original farm. There were also 8 sisters in the family. Have since found Jeremiah & Daniels parents were Daniel Angland & Ellen Cahill.

I would love to know more about their family in Ireland. Jeremiah also had a sister Honora who married an O'Neil. They had one child John.
Any help  much appreciated.
Thanks Tiffaney.
Caithness: Sutherland (2 families)
Perthshire: McLauchlan, Galletly. Dunn. Mill 
Glasgow: Paisley: Gilmour; Fillans
Orkney: Shearer, Peace, Laughton,Scott,Craigie, Sinclair, Tulloch, Spence, Laing
Devon: Moore, Gempton, Copp, Boone, Carter, Lee, Gill,
London:  Laver, Rix, Nightingale,Hartley, Mason,Satchell.
Nottingham: Bomforth, Shaw
Australia: Graham, Tattersall, Galletly
Ireland: Angland

N.Z: McLauchlan, Sutherland, Shearer,  Rix, Moore, Hartley,Mason, Gilmour, Bomforth,  Dunn, Galletly

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 August 06 19:35 BST (UK) »
hi Tiffaney, me again ::)  There's a very likely looking Daniel Angland on the I.G.I.   Parents Maurice Angland and Mary Connor.  If you also do a Parent search on the I.G.I. using  Mau.  Angland and Mary Connor, you'll get a possible Ellen , Maurice and a couple of others.  The birth years for Daniel and Ellen are a couple of years out, but I wouldn't worry too much about that, often exact ages were forgotten or not even important.  When doing the parent search don't  forget the full stop after Mau. (Maurice and Mau.  are classed as 2 different names , that's why Daniel isn't grouped with the rest)

P.S.  there's also a Dennis Angland married to a Mary Connor  with a seperate family on the I.G.I. Parent search.   
Flynn,Cox, Slaven-Co Longford
Donnelly,McGeown,Hughes,McCrory- Co Armagh
Hargan,Curran,Bradley,Grant,Peoples ,Patton,Dunn-Donegal
Conway,Degnan,McDonald,Cassidy,Kelly,Fenmore,Ryans,Kilkenny,Murray-Ireland/England/Scotland
Reeves,Fox,Williams-Shropshire/Staffordshire/Scotland
Gill,Kane-I.O.M/England/Scotland

Murdoch,Bruce,Rankine,Ballantyne-Ayrshire
McCutchen,McAdam,Wright-Kirkcudbright,Dumfries,Ayrshire

And others

Plus all variations in spellings

Offline Tiffaney

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 August 06 23:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for info. re IGI Tootsiepie. Starting to get more interesting now. Will have a looksee & keep watching this file..someone else may be able to share with us.
Sun's out..hooray!!
Tiffaney
Caithness: Sutherland (2 families)
Perthshire: McLauchlan, Galletly. Dunn. Mill 
Glasgow: Paisley: Gilmour; Fillans
Orkney: Shearer, Peace, Laughton,Scott,Craigie, Sinclair, Tulloch, Spence, Laing
Devon: Moore, Gempton, Copp, Boone, Carter, Lee, Gill,
London:  Laver, Rix, Nightingale,Hartley, Mason,Satchell.
Nottingham: Bomforth, Shaw
Australia: Graham, Tattersall, Galletly
Ireland: Angland

N.Z: McLauchlan, Sutherland, Shearer,  Rix, Moore, Hartley,Mason, Gilmour, Bomforth,  Dunn, Galletly

Offline Jim I

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 August 06 22:30 BST (UK) »
My wife is related to the Anglands of Boherbui and I've been looking into them (occasionally!)

I came up with a number of suggestions

The Angland Family of Boherbue, Co. Cork

Generation 1

An unknown ancestor born perhaps around 1740 – 1750, whereabouts unknown, although family legend puts their roots in Co. Clare.  Considering naming traditions, and the number of children born in the 1830’s and 1840’s called Nora or Hannah, the wife of this ancestor may have been called something like Hanorah.  Similarly the unknown man may have been John, Maurice or Michael (most likely one of the first two)

Tracing female children is difficult so I will only look at the male line at the present.

The earliest references to this family, from the IGI, are to children born in the 1830’s, to a considerable number of male Anglands and I have endeavoured to place these into some familial relationships – almost all by guesswork.

Generation 2

Again unknown but all probably born c. 1775.  From the names of the men in the records I have postulated descent from two brothers although this could be more.  The names of these brothers are unknown but again I suggest John, Maurice or Michael.  Their wives may have been Ellen or Catherine at a rough guess as these names are fairly common later on.

Generation 3

Going by the names of children and by the dates of birth I suggest dividing the Angland men, seen in the records, into the two families mentioned above.  I have used the duplication of names as a basis to work from and have added in the ‘singletons’ Francis and Tim partly based on the names of their children.  Suggested dates of birth for parents are guessed; I also feel that where there is a child Maurice, he tends, as often as not, to be the oldest son in each family.

Since my document exceeds the maximum allowable character count.  If anyone is interested please mail me and I will send on the full doc.