Author Topic: My Kent Surname Interests  (Read 20870 times)

Offline Alan b

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: My Kent Surname Interests
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 20 November 11 12:23 GMT (UK) »
So your John Terry, who was his parents as I am guessing that his father could be the brother of my Daniel Terry (born 1779 in Lower Hadres).
Bloomfield, Knights, Whitmore, Warner (Suffolk)
Hamlin (London, Yorkshire, Scotland, Suffolk)
Mattocks, Newick, Nutter, (Kent)
Mattocks (Staffs)

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 20 November 11 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan b,a bit short of time at the moment (cooking) will get back to you later,anyhow if you go to Historical Canterbury website the Terrys are on there with my Thomas and Hannah,just cannot remember without looking at my family tree all the details,regards tobyma123. :)
James William Chappell is now James William Grantham ,Elizebeth Hill Grantham .Lincolnshire.Mary Jane Morgan 1842 born in Overton Flintshire Wales.Ann Morgan 1831 both wives of William Morgan 1829 Worcester.John Dowley 1858 Wellington Salop.Thomas Tole or Toal Selena Mac Masters born in Scotland but lived in county Down NIreland born about 1790.

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 20 November 11 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan b,i hope you managed to see that website?i really have not reaserched that far back with the Terry's,let me know the outcome,regards tobyma123. :)
James William Chappell is now James William Grantham ,Elizebeth Hill Grantham .Lincolnshire.Mary Jane Morgan 1842 born in Overton Flintshire Wales.Ann Morgan 1831 both wives of William Morgan 1829 Worcester.John Dowley 1858 Wellington Salop.Thomas Tole or Toal Selena Mac Masters born in Scotland but lived in county Down NIreland born about 1790.

Offline Alan b

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 20 November 11 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the website, never come across this one before. From looking on this site I don't believe we have a connection because if looks like all your Terry's come from Canterbury while mine are from Lower Hardres and I can't see a connection between them.
Mattocks (Staffs)

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 20 November 11 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan b,never mind worth a try,regards tobyma123. :)

Offline Mark Smith Australia

• RootsChat Extra
  • I come from the land down-under.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan b,
A bit of a long shot bumping this thread after all this time, but saw that you were looking at the Newick and Meppem names in Kent.
My wife's GGG-granfather was Henry Newick born about 1815 (his death certificate (1892) just says England) and his parents were Henry Newick and Fanny Meppem. Henry married Susan (or Susannah) Styles (or Stynes) at East Farleigh, Kent in 1835 then emmigrated to New South Wales Australia in 1838.

Is there any connection that you can see?

Kind regards,
Mark
Canberra Australia

Offline Alan b

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

I had forgotten all about this topic that I started but I am happy to say that we do have a connection as I have your Henry in my tree as my line goes via his brother William Newick.

You can see further back if you are interested here on my family tree:

http://www.alan137.co.uk/family/i304.htm#i1088
Mattocks (Staffs)

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Mark Smith Australia I only have Hannah Maria Terry 1860 Canterbury married my uncle
Thomas Fenwick Grantham in Canterbury 1880.
Her father was John Joseph Terry 1821 Ashford area.
Alan B tells me they are not related to him.
Maybe to you?.
regards tobyma123. :)

Offline Mark Smith Australia

• RootsChat Extra
  • I come from the land down-under.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 16 August 18 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan b,
What a wonderful surprise to find your reply this morning. I really didn't hold much hope as it was quite a while since there was any activity on this thread.

Thanks for the link to your family tree.   I will go through it over the next few days so I can see where it all fits.   If you want to add any details of the "Australian" Newicks just let me know and I can pass what I have found out.

I started reseaching our family history about 20 years ago, on and off, but only recently have I been going into more detail to try and fill in all the missing bits.   This month I have been concentrating on Henry Newick and Susan Stynes and their children - there is a bit of ambiguity about how many children there were.

Tobyma123,

I havent come across those names in my searching and given the depth of Alan B's information I would think it likely that I too am not related, but if I see something I will let you know.

Cheers,
Mark
Canberra, Australia