Author Topic: Maiden name of Eliza Jane Colyer b.Tunbridge c. 1857  (Read 3106 times)

Offline carol_cholsey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Maiden name of Eliza Jane Colyer b.Tunbridge c. 1857
« Reply #18 on: Monday 03 July 06 21:38 BST (UK) »
Here's the Crouch family in 1851:
ref HO107 1612 folio 67 page 21: Bull Lane, Aylesford
Edward Crouch head mar age 48 ag lab born Aylesford
Jane wife mar age 50 born Bearsted
Edward son un age 18 ag lab born Aylesford
Henry son age 13 ag lab born Aylesford
William son age 10 ag lab born Aylesford
Jane dau age 8 scholar born Aylesford

(So just the one daughter added to the family in 1851)
xx Carol
WINTON in Sussex & Kent; ALGER, ANTHONEY & MERCER in Rotherhithe, Surrey & Deptford, Kent; WHITBREAD in Shefford, Beds; KEELING in Yorks, Lincs & Leics; BLONK & SEASTRON in Sheffield, Yorks; BENNETT, MILLER, SUMMERS, BOSSLEY, WOULDHAM & SHOVLAR in Gravesend, Kent

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Phil Goater

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Harry & Floss
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 04 July 06 10:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you Carol, that's great. It's opened the door to a few extracted records on the IGI which takes the Crouch connection back a couple of generations.

Of course that would be meaningless if it wasn't the right Eliza but following bearkat's suggestion I have received the following sighting of the family in New York in 1880 (thanks to Nutkin):
THORNDYCRAFT      John              WM   54   
THORNDYCRAFT      Ann               WF   50   
THORNDYCRAFT      Harry             WM   17   
THORNDYCRAFT      Jane              WF   18

The circumstantial evidence now puts any doubts to rest. It also confirms Ann's age.
Thanks again to Nutkin I've now found this index reference to the marriage of Harry which proves it's Ann Crouch:
http://www.dcnyhistory.org/oldnewsidx/marriageslinda8.html
Goater, Smith, Henning, Scarlett, Lucas, Abraham, Langdale, Parker, Read, Curtis, Arm, Franklin, Bryant, Hart, Earl, White, Welch, Howard, Bateman, Hutchinson, Hunter, Lawes, Rogers, Brixey......

Offline Colyer

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 09 November 20 06:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello there

I realise that this thread is from a long time ago but I have only just signed up to RootsChat

Eliza Jane Thorndycraft was my great grandmother and I have a fair bit of knowledge about her and the Colyer family connection. I also have some brick walls that I'd be happy to share

Eliza is buried in Karrakatta Cemetery in Perth, Western Australia where I live. She met an untimely end

Anybody still interested out there, happy to chat

Mike Colyer

Offline Phil Goater

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Harry & Floss
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 09 November 20 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Mike and welcome to Rootschat!

Welll, that was a surprise alert this morning!

I opened this thread when researching my friend Barry Colyer’s family tree following my contribution to a charity auction. I don’ t know if you are in touch with him but I have passed on your message to him.

To clarify - when you refer to your brick walls you are referring to dead ends in your family tree and not part of the Colyer family physical legacy in Perth!

Best Wishes,
Phil
Goater, Smith, Henning, Scarlett, Lucas, Abraham, Langdale, Parker, Read, Curtis, Arm, Franklin, Bryant, Hart, Earl, White, Welch, Howard, Bateman, Hutchinson, Hunter, Lawes, Rogers, Brixey......