Author Topic: Organ builder in early 1800's - official list of apprenticeships for York?  (Read 7390 times)

Offline KAOS

• RootsChat Member
  • Hands across the water
    • View Profile
Hello!

My ancestor, Henry OHMAN was apparently an organ builder in York for the period 1828-1831(and perhaps other years). He apparently worked at Aberford(1828) and Tickhill(1831).

I have been told that he is mentioned in
Portrait of an English Parish Church. St. Mary the Virgin, Tickhill, Yorkshire: Bearstall, T.W. (c1990), p.21.

I would like to learn more about this man and wonder what my options might be. Is organ building an apprenticed trade? Might an official list of apprenticeships for York be available?

A family story went along the lines of this man going to France to build an organ and upon his return was robbed and thrown overboard - never to be seen again. He can't be found in the 1841 England Census so this story is conceivable.

Has anyone access to the above-mentioned book and be willing to provide me with the details found on page 21?

Any thoughts or comments are most welcome. Thank you!

Mary
Canada
BROOKS, NEWCOMB, HACKETT, GILLINGS, CORNISH, TELFORD, DOUGHTY, OHMAN

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: OHMAN organ builder in early 1800's - apprenticeship? passage in book?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 May 06 08:55 BST (UK) »
A couple of suggestions here KAOS - one is that they have a copy of the book available on www.Abebooks.com however, $15.52 plus shipping in the UK of $6.31 is probably not worthwhile for what may be only a one line entry in the book.

We have a scheme here in England through the library services called Inter Library Loan, but as other readers of Rootschat know, I haven't had much luck with this, unfortunately Sheffield is a little far for me to go to check out this one for you.  But I wonder whether we have a Rootschatter who might be visiting Sheffield Library who can take a note of the details for you as they have a copy there.  The ISBN number is 0906976456 - also note that the name of the author is Tom W. Beastall.

There is a very good site about Sheffield Library http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/libraries and if you scroll down then there are also links where you can talk direct to librarians 24 hours a day and other facilities available.  I wonder if it would be possible to ask one of the librarians if they would take a note of the entry from the book for you, if it's only a one liner it won't take much of their time.

Mary

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline KAOS

• RootsChat Member
  • Hands across the water
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 May 06 13:36 BST (UK) »
Dear Mary,

Thank you so much for your suggestions!

I have just accessed the Sheffield Library and sent a question to the talk to the librarian address. I now wait to be connected to a librarian. Will let you know the outcome.

Mary

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 May 06 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hmmmmmmmm I tried that link myself but it didn't seem to be working, I wonder if maybe a direct email contact with the library itself might produce any result.

Let me know whether you get anything from them.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline KAOS

• RootsChat Member
  • Hands across the water
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 May 06 15:55 BST (UK) »
Dearest Mary,

I never got through to chat with the librarian - wasn't sure if there was a connection made or not. So I wrote up another query and put in the main body of it that I wished an e-mail response. To that end, I received a password in one e-mail and a copy of my query in another. But, when I tried to log in to determine whether a response had been posted to my account, it told me that my password was incorrect(and that had been cut and pasted from their e-mail so I am doubtful about that).

I will wait until next week for a proper response from the library and if no response in my in-box will send a direct e-mail as you suggest.

Thanks again!

Canadian Mary

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 May 06 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Mary

Another suggestion would be to contact the church. I am sure they would have received either a complimentary copy or purchased a copy.

I wonder if we have an Ohman connection. My Waite York ancestor married an Ohman and eventually settled in Ontario.

Cheers,
Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline KAOS

• RootsChat Member
  • Hands across the water
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 May 06 00:14 BST (UK) »
Hello!

Now that is a thought about the church having a copy of the book. Thanks for suggesting it!

I am still waiting to hear back from the library but imagine that they get oodles of requests and will try to be patient.

Where in Ontario did your OHMAN settle? My Jane, daughter of Henry, married Richard DOUGHTY and they moved to Toronto by 1851. They left England in 1850.

Mary

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 May 06 03:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Mary

My Waite wasn't born until 1881 and left England for Boston in 1909, settled a couple years there, then moved to Sherbooke before 1914 and then Toronto. Seeing your Ohman request made me wonder. I never thought to link my Lina Elvira Ohman who migrated also to Boston in 1909 to England. Looks like they may have emigrated together and possibly from England, seeing that there are other Omans in the York area. 

Your post has given me some new direction.

I don't know much about my Lina nor her parents, other than she was born in Sweden abt 1885. Maybe she is on the 1901 England census.

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline KAOS

• RootsChat Member
  • Hands across the water
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 May 06 12:34 BST (UK) »
This entry is dualfold -

Firstly, I heard back from the Sheffield Library, ask a librarian post. Actually the query was sent to the York Reference Library for their action and although they did not hold the book that I mentioned, they found mention of another OHMAN who made violins and built organs in a scrapbook about York musicians. They directed me to links for Doncaster libraries as this is where Tickhill is near and they may have a copy.  I have sent an e-mail to them.

Thank you Linda for your input - I had wondered whether the surname OHMAN might have been of Swedish origin. Hard to say whether there may be a connection between our families. Toronto, being a large city, is a magnet for immigrants as there are many opportunities there. You might want to make a posting asking if someone will consult ship passenger lists(I believe that Ancestry.com offers a search of some records) to see whether perhaps your two OHMANs left for Boston on the same ship.

Mary