Author Topic: Organ builder in early 1800's - official list of apprenticeships for York?  (Read 7338 times)

Offline KAOS

• RootsChat Member
  • Hands across the water
    • View Profile
Re: OHMAN organ builder in early 1800's - apprenticeship? passage in book?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 May 06 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hello all!

Doncaster library was kind enough to provide me with a transcription of the page in the book that was relevant. This was done in a timely matter and much appreciated.

Mary
BROOKS, NEWCOMB, HACKETT, GILLINGS, CORNISH, TELFORD, DOUGHTY, OHMAN

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: Organ builder in early 1800's - official list of apprenticeships for York?
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 May 06 14:21 BST (UK) »
Good result Mary!

I hope at some future date you and Linda might be able to prove a connection.

Mary!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline KAOS

• RootsChat Member
  • Hands across the water
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 May 06 14:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for your help Mary. Hope that you are having continued success with searching your lot.

Mary

Offline YorkOrganPhD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 September 16 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary,

I am currently researching the organ-builders of York. How much do you know about Andrew E Ohman? He is proving a tricky one to research!

Best Wishes,
Max

Offline KAOS

• RootsChat Member
  • Hands across the water
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 September 16 20:13 BST (UK) »
Good day!

Oh boy it has been many years...over ten since my original post. I read through all the postings here to try to refresh my memory on this chap. I have to tell you...that at this point in time all that I remember is that my great-grandfather William DOUGHTY's middle name was Ohman which was apparently his mother's maiden name. That helped to explain why my uncle's middle name was Homan...the proper spelling was not known so this was an attempt.

As to what the records showed that I was provided with, I do not know. It would have been received via the internet and my computer took a nosedive and all that information was gone. Anything that I saved to a floppy was lost as well as it turned out that all the files were corrupted. I cried. Many years of research all gone. I had a skeleton printed out...but that was it.

As a result...I decided that my time in the world of genealogy had ended. And I don't do any family research at all anymore....leaving it for the next generation to do the sleuthing.

Sorry that I could be of no help.

Mary

Offline Michael Ajayi

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 October 17 20:11 BST (UK) »
Good day Sir
I bought a violin on eBay from someone in Yorkshire and it labelled Andreas Ebahard Ohman 1803 York. I've been researching the maker and this brought me here.
I could send pictures if it will be of help to your research.

With best regards
Michael Ajayi
(Moderator edit: address removed for reasons of personal security]

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 October 17 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael, and welcome to RootsChat :)

I have removed your address and email from your topic above to protect your personal privacy and security.

If you make one more post, even just a smiley, your Personal Message (PM) facility will be activated and you can send private messages and exchange such information to other members whilst maintaining your privacy.

And you might also wish to change your RootsChat identity from your name to an alias for greater security.

If you need any assistance using RootsChat don't hesitate to ask on this topic and other members or a Moderator will be able to help. ;)

Best wishes,

Spades

ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline Jarra

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 29 July 18 23:45 BST (UK) »
Good day!

Oh boy it has been many years...over ten since my original post. I read through all the postings here to try to refresh my memory on this chap. I have to tell you...that at this point in time all that I remember is that my great-grandfather William DOUGHTY's middle name was Ohman which was apparently his mother's maiden name. That helped to explain why my uncle's middle name was Homan...the proper spelling was not known so this was an attempt.

Mary

Hi Mary! I seem to be related to you through the Doughtys. I saw your original post a few years ago when researching Anders Eberhard Ohman, but it was from 2006 so I didn't know if you'd still be checking this website. Weirdly, that exact same story has been passed down through my line of the family as well! Our ancestor, whom my grandmother presumed was French, was supposed to have been sailing back from France where'd he built an organ in a church, when he was robbed for his money and tossed overboard (and presumably killed).

I've been doing a lot of research on this most mysterious ancestor: the short summary of the results is that he was born on May 11, 1793 in Björksta, Sweden. His parents were Michael Öhman and Catharina Ulrica Rosén. Catharina Ulrica Rosén was the daughter of Gabriel Rosén and Margareta Rath. Gabriel Rosén was the son of Eric Rosenius and Anna Wekander. They were all evidently of the upper class or nobility of Sweden, mostly priests/pastors (not sure what the term would be in English - I've only seen it written in Swedish and I've had to teach myself a bit of Swedish to do some of this research). Eric Rosenius and Anna Wekander had a number of relatively well-known children, including Nils Rosén von Rosenstein, first physician to the King of Sweden (whom Carl Linnaeus, the famous botanist, at one point tried to stab with a sword), Sven Rosén, who was banished from Sweden for being a leader of Radical Pietism, and Eberhard Rosénblad, who was a professor of medicine. I think Anders Eberhard Öhman's middle name came from his uncle Eberhard.

Anders seems to have became a journeyman musical instrument maker, and apparently part of that training required going to another country and working there before you could become a master craftsman, which is probably how he ended up in England. Andrew Ohman, organ builder, married Dorothy White in 1820 in York, England. They had four kids: Elizabeth Ohman (born 1822), Charles William Ohman (born 1823), Alfred Ohman (born 1825), and Jane Ohman (born 1828). Only Jane survived - Charles William died the same year as he was born (1823), Alfred died in 1826, and Elizabeth died in 1838 (at 16 years old).

From York directories and other sources, you can see Anders/Andrew continued working in York as an organ builder and musical instrument maker. He apparently built an organ in Tickhill, Yorkshire, in 1831 (I would LOVE to see that Portrait of an English Parish Church book in which he is mentioned, but I haven't been able to get a copy yet. He seems to have built the organ under the name "Henry" Ohman, but I believe this is the same person as "Andrew" Ohman, for various reasons). He appears to have disappeared in 1832, but he does not appear to have died: I found a London Christie's Auction House record of a sale of a viola labelled "Andrew E. Ohman/maker/Stockholm Sweden/1836" (which sold on March 18, 1992 - if anyone knows who bought it, I'd love to buy it from them). I believe he is the "Andrew Ohman," 45 (age range 45-49) on the 1841 Census of England, living in the household of George Marshall and family in St. Margaret's Parish, Leicester. On the 1851 Census of England, he was "Ohman Andrew," a 58-year-old organ builder from Sweden, visiting the household of Henry Taylor, an apprentice plumber at 29 Satchwell Street, Leamington Priors (now called Leamington Spa), Warwickshire, England. Interestingly, he was recorded as "Unmarried."

The death certificate for Andrew Ohman says he died Aug. 13, 1860 at Warneford Hospital, Leamington, Warwickshire, a "Musician," 68 years old, died of uncertain cause, but possibly cirrhosis of the liver. However, his family appeared to think he had died in 1832, as I ordered the probate for "Andrew Eberhard Ohman" of Stonegate, York, organbuilder, which was not passed until Jun. 24, 1839, but which says he died in 1832. This suggests he had gone missing and they'd had to wait 7 years before he could be declared legally dead. It was signed by his widow, Dorothy Ohman. I also have the probate of Catharina Ulrica Ohman (in Sweden, she would be known by the surname "Rosén") of Västerås, Sweden, who left a small amount of money to her grandchild, Jane Ohman of York, England, said to be the surviving child of "Andrew Eberhardt Ohman deceased."

So what really happened to him? I've got a lot of theories, but not many facts. I'm also very intrigued by the reply of Michael Ajayi - if 1803 was really the date the violin was built, it can't be made by our Ohman, because he would only have been 10 years old at the time. And yet, another Andreas Eberhard Ohman, musical instrument maker, living in York? Who else could it be? I don't suppose it's a typo for 1830?

Anyhow, glad to see there are other people interested in this mystery!

Jarra (pseudonym)

Offline YorkOrganPhD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 10 February 23 12:55 GMT (UK) »
I have been contacted by someone who possesses a violin made by Ohman in 1827. Will ask Michael Ajayi for photographs and compare the two instruments.