Author Topic: McSorley Family  (Read 13361 times)

Offline heslop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Heslop Crest
    • View Profile
McSorley Family
« on: Saturday 13 May 06 11:20 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace members of the McSorley family. I have found two , Michael, owning 112acres and Thomas with 54 acres on the Tyrone land owners for 1876. Address given is Quinney, Cranagh, Gortin - would this be correct and would this be anything to do with the Forestry industry?
Heslops from N.Yorks. Co.Durham. Northumberland.    Briddicks from Co. Durham. Cleverley / Mitchell from E.Sussex. Duggans from Cork. McSorleys from 'Derry.

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McSorley Family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 May 06 11:44 BST (UK) »
there is two adult  Micheals and one thomas hope this helps

MCSORLEY, John   Birth

born   1 Feb 1874   at   Killeter, Tyr, Ire

Fath.   Thomas MCSORLEY
   Moth.   Ann GALLEN

MCSORLEY, Bridget   Birth

born   19 May 1872   at   344, Six Mile Cross, Tyr, Ire

Fath.   Michael MCSORLEY
   Moth.   Bridget O'NEILL

MCSORLEY, Hugh   

born   20 Sep 1871   at   313, Sixmilecross, Tyr, Ire

Fath.   Michael MCSORLEY
   Moth.   Mary O CONNER

audrey

Offline heslop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Heslop Crest
    • View Profile
McSorley family
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 May 06 11:52 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace members of the McSorley family. I understand they were involved with the Forestry industry in Co. Tyrone. I have found two on the land owners for 1876. They were Michael, owning 112 acres and Thomas with 54 acres. The address given is:-Quinney, Cranagh, Gortin. Does anyone have any further information.. Ron H.

Moderator Comment: topics merged
Heslops from N.Yorks. Co.Durham. Northumberland.    Briddicks from Co. Durham. Cleverley / Mitchell from E.Sussex. Duggans from Cork. McSorleys from 'Derry.

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 May 06 11:54 BST (UK) »
sorry missed these

MCSORLEY, Thomas   born   1865   Irel   Tyro

MCSORLEY, Mary   born   1866   Irel   Tyro
parents for both
Fath.   Thomas MCSORLEY
Moth.   Mary KELLY

audrey

Offline heslop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Heslop Crest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 May 06 12:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much. Gives me something to work on.. Ron

Offline KDQ

• RootsChat Member
  • Need to Focus!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 May 06 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Ron

I've just received a marriage cert from Australia and it states the parents of my James Quinn, born Tyrone 1839 (married 1866 Ipswich Australia to Mary Galway) as follows:

Father: James Quinn (Farmer)
Mother:  Catherine McSorley

This is of no help to you I'm sure in your search, but if you come across any of these names, I'd be grateful if you could let me know and I'll keep an eye out for your names.  Kind regards, Karen
Quinn - Tyrone, Ireland ; Greymouth/Waipori/Waimate South/Otago, New Zealand
Galway Carlow, Ireland
Grace Ireland
McSorley Ireland
Donnelly Skreen, County Meath, Ireland
Matthews Tyrone and Monaghan, Ireland
McKenna Tyedavnet, Monaghan, Ireland
O'Neill - Dublin, Ireland

Offline heslop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Heslop Crest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 May 06 10:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much. I'll keep you in mind..Ron H.

Offline celtlaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 January 07 16:49 GMT (UK) »
My great-great grandfather is Mathew McSorley from County Tyrone.  He married Jane Kelly of Gortfin in Ireland on Sept 14, 1848 (at the RC church in Carrickmore??).  They emigrated to Philadelphia circa 1850 with their son Patrick.  My great-grandmother, Mary, was born in Philadelphia.  Jane Kelly died circa 1856 and Mathew was killed in the American Civil War on December 14, 1862 at Fredericksburg.  Can anyone help me find the origin of Mathew McSorley in County Tyrone?

P.S.  I noticed that someone was tracing the McKnights.  My great-great-grandfather is David McKnight of Belfast.  His daughter, Mary McKnight, is my great-grandmother.  She emigrated to Philadelphia in 1904 with her husband Frederick Reid and 9 children.
I am sorry but my emails are not working

Offline heslop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Heslop Crest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 January 07 18:27 GMT (UK) »
My wife was a McSorley born in ' Derry 1938 and to the best of her knowledge , although the family originated in Tyrone, there was never any mention of emmigration either to America or Australia. Will continue to review all answers and see if I can eventually find any links.. Thanks for your interest.. Ron H.