Author Topic: What was the saddest death in your Tree ?  (Read 63912 times)

Offline Janine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT WAS THE SADDEST DEATH IN YOUR TREE?
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 17:30 BST (UK) »
I sent this once but it vanished into cyberspace I guess ...
I did find a chuckle in this otherwise sad thread ... about the "handsome" cab driver, I hope he indeed was a looker!  I thought it was spelled "hansom" ...  ;)

We are indeed I think much more shocked by death these days in the western and european world ... I came across in my travels a list of those hanged (beginning with the famous highwayman) in London, many were men who abducted and killed small children, so nothing new in that although today we wonder "what the world is coming to".  I do believe the solution was better in those days myself!

I have several old books of my gran's and my mom's ... all having to do with tragedy, one written in the late 1890's, my mother was given it in the 20's when she was small was "Lambs Safely Folded," a collection of little stores of children dying and going home to Jesus.  The quote in the inside said to "Josey, and a bright and happy Christmas".  My goodness.
Another happy note ... one book my gran was given was signed by her Aunt Ellen ... hmm, a new relative for me to find!
Janine Page nee Rewers
Canadian ... but really 1/8 Swede, 1/8 Irish, 3/4 English!
Sussex: Winter, Crowhurst, Vine, Woolgar; London: Liston, Canada: Rewers; Carbery, Collier (Irish immigrants); Sweden: Trolle, or von Trolle

Offline shumagh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Seeking the people who made me what I am.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 20:36 BST (UK) »

Obviously, we all have sad or tragic incidents in our past...... my poor Gt-gt-grandmother, Leah Buggins,lost her husband Richard and two children, Rachel aged 4 & John Henry aged 4 months, within eight weeks. Richard & Rachel both died from T.B., John Henry after vaccination.
    However, although she never remarried, Leah went on to have several more children, of whom at least two lived to adulthood!

Shumagh
Johnson, Buggins. Humphries,Pratt, Tibbetts, all Oxfordshire.
Fox. Phillips,Staffordshire

Offline earley-bird

• RootsChat Senior
  • I am ready for something...but I don't know what!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 23 April 05 09:13 BST (UK) »
Mine so far is my Gt Gt grandparents Finton Lawlor or rather their 7 children.

Came over from Ireland in 1874 and took over the Stanley Arms in Widnes Lancs.
Finton wife Annie died in 1887 leaving him with 9 children to look after and he died just 2 years later !

All the children lost both their parents in the space of 2 years.  they were all split up being sent all over the country to live with Aunts and Uncles.
How sad is that ? :o :'(
Whitchurch, Westminster / Buckinghamshire
Cooper,     Westminster
Pollard     Surrey
Earley,  Holborn London
Bruce,  London
Kangeisser  London
Lawlor, Widnes Lancashire
Hagan   Widnes Lancashire

All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only, I support copyright, a Wife, 2x children  a dobie, 2 x cats, a Tawny owl. and several mice if the drop

Offline nenny4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 23 April 05 09:46 BST (UK) »
hi early bird...my grt grandmother lost four children in a matter of 5 weeks to scarlet fever she also lost an infant the year before and a baby the following year after losing the four.... god love her she must have had a broken heart poor woman life was hard then wasn't it?..... cheers nenny4
Marshall / Thaw / Gowan from Livingston and Kirknewton areas West Lothian  Scotland..... Lough Families Clones Ireland and Glasgow Scotland and U.S.A........ Mckenzie /Glencoe Scotland

Offline earley-bird

• RootsChat Senior
  • I am ready for something...but I don't know what!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 23 April 05 10:05 BST (UK) »
Its so tragic isn't it. It makes me marvel that they kept going really. I know I couldn't have coped. When I moan and groan about how tough life is I remember how tough others have it and realise how fortunate I am

I really support the current `abolish poverty' movement. If we spent all our arms money on health, education, housing ,etc then we wouldn't have half the problems we have today. ::)
Whitchurch, Westminster / Buckinghamshire
Cooper,     Westminster
Pollard     Surrey
Earley,  Holborn London
Bruce,  London
Kangeisser  London
Lawlor, Widnes Lancashire
Hagan   Widnes Lancashire

All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only, I support copyright, a Wife, 2x children  a dobie, 2 x cats, a Tawny owl. and several mice if the drop

Offline nenny4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 23 April 05 11:03 BST (UK) »
i live in Australia was back to the old country just over two years ago and was saddened by the homeless and yes poor been here forty years come July yes we have them here too but i expect we don't see as much because the country is so vast....... nenny4 P.S..... I'm with you in the poverty thing..cheers
Marshall / Thaw / Gowan from Livingston and Kirknewton areas West Lothian  Scotland..... Lough Families Clones Ireland and Glasgow Scotland and U.S.A........ Mckenzie /Glencoe Scotland

Offline saar3

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 24 April 05 11:25 BST (UK) »
For me the saddest death was my Dad's two oldest brothers who both drowned when they were playing on a frozen pond and the ice broke. It happened in January 1897 when they were 13 and 11 years old.

The  only thing that makes me feel better about it is that my Dad and his other 2 brothers managed to survive WWI although they were all in the armed forces. All their male cousins were killed. So at least my grandparents were spared losing any more of their children.
Researching Moon, Jeffrey, Umpleby, Mortimer, Lowcock, Lynch, Naylor, Cobb, Emmott, Lofthouse, Limbert, Brooks, Gilbank, Wilkinson, Watkinson, Hebden, Hey and Clemie in Yorkshire<br />and<br />Myatt and Lawrence in Staffordshire and Warwickshire

Offline byron

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 24 April 05 11:34 BST (UK) »
My partner's great grandfather was run over by a humber (big old car) whilst having a wee at the side of the road.  :o
Oh sorry, you said sad ;D

byron

Offline J.A.M.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pte. Alexander McCalmont C.E.F. 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 24 April 05 19:27 BST (UK) »
There are so many. Grandfather killed WWI leaving 3 children under 9. Great grandfathers son dieing from diphtheria age 5. His wife dieing in a mental institution. But the worst is not knowing what happened. An aunt went Christmas shopping in 1922 & never returned. Police investigation searching Canada & Ireland proved fruitless.
Now there is a topic worth discussion - 'Your Family Mystery'.
J.A.M.
Islandmagee, County Antrim, Ireland