Author Topic: can anyone identify this car  (Read 4159 times)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: can anyone identify this car
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 16 May 06 11:45 BST (UK) »
That radiator badge rings no bells with me. However, the Australian Olds Society has a lot of pics which do include RH drive cars [so I was wrong there].
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~oldsclub/

Moderator Comment:  URL modified to make it a clickable link
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 16 May 06 14:00 BST (UK) »
Agree with Hack about the badge, but the profile of the radiator top is positively the same (look at my rather crude diagram). as far as things such as headlights, wheels etc, we must remember that these may have then, as now varied in export models to suit local conditions.

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 17 May 06 04:50 BST (UK) »
Denn, perhaps it would be worth emailing the Victorian club to see whether they can offer any comments especially on the badge (or the car as a whole).  As enthusiasts, they will probably be interested ...

Hack, back in the "old days" (i.e. in my youth!), Australia had a great many cars imported from the USA - and with just the odd exception they were all RH drive.  My family didn't have a car (those were the days, eh) but my well-off uncle used to get a new car every year; sometimes a Buick, sometimes a Pontiac - all RH drive.  My father-in-law had a Chevrolet - again RH drive.  And we, as poor students, had ancient (but RH drive) cars - I remember a 1928 Dodge and a 1936 Chevy (I wish we had them now!).  These days I guess that most of our imported cars come from countries which drive on the left-hand side of the road so there's no need for special export versions (e.g. from Japan - I have one) but there are also right-hand drive cars imported from countries which drive on the right-hand side of the road (e.g. European cars).

JAP     

Offline Aussie Olds

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 02 April 21 02:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Denn,
I have just come across this old post, but maybe you are still linked in to it.
I own the green Oldsmobile pictured on page 2 of this chat, and it is indeed a 1927 Oldsmobile Model 30.E 2Dr. Coach. I am a (life/founding) member of the Oldsmobile Club of Aust.
I can provide absolute information concerning the vehicle in you photograph.
It is definitely an Oldsmobile although the radiator grille badge is not original/correct, and I cannot identify that.
The lack of a body swage identifies the vehicle as either a 1924 Model 30.B or 1925 Model 30.C Standard Tourer (the lack of bumper bars and other "dress ups" precludes it from being a Sport model). Unfortunately the photo cannot provide the information required to distinguish the car between the 2 models I have indicated.
Oldsmobiles, while American based, were exported to many countries including England where presumably your photo was taken.
I hope this information solves your mystery.
Regards,
Richard Wellard

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 20:29 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

Just as a note for you, until the 20s all American cars were RH drive. The different manufacturers took until the early 30s before they had all swapped to LH drive.

Most early car manufacturers were coach builders and horse drawn vehs were always RH drive so the driver could see the verge/ditches etc. So they carried this over to there automobiles initially.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 22:14 BST (UK) »
https://www.carnamah.com.au/car-registrations?keyword=KE

The above Link appears an interesting Site, for researching historical vehicle registrations. A close/exact year of  registration to Post Photo KE127, looks like KE137 on the above Link page.
Kirkham, Garlick, Worthington, Shaw, Bamber. Fylde Coast
Naylor/Nailor, Lyons, Wilkinson. Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire
Redfern. Cheshire/Derbyshire
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire